Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ancient history with present ramifications ... Nicotine in Aus

Super Moderator

Ancient history with present ramifications ... Nicotine in Aus

Presented to you by a forum member who presented it to me and inferred I had a responsibility to disseminate lol
    Its an interesting look into the thought process in 2008 which led to the Victorian Poisons Schedule being brought into line with other States and effectively killing off the loophole which allowed nicotine sales in regard to electronic cigarettes
    Bear in mind this is the minutes/records of the meetings , and as such I leave it to you to determine the outcomes for yourselves ( although its pretty much the state of affairs we find ourselves in presently )

http://www.tga.gov.au/pdf/archive/ndpsc-record-54.pdf

Relevant discussion takes place pg 126 - 143

It is imperative in my opinion to remember while reading this , that although the committee speaks in blanket terms of devices ... the crucial point they are referring to is nicotine IN those devices ( back then there was no huge refillable market per se ) as topping up cartridges was in its infancy , it was around this time that buying nicotine in solution to refill carts was experimental for most vapers . ( although was rapidly being embraced )
    Also important to remember this is the THERAPEUTIC GOODS ADMINISTRATION and it was because manufacturers and resellers like Gamucci and Egar Australia were making claims as cessation/therapeutic devices .

This is over 5 years old and the system has evolved to what we have now , where importation is not looked unfavorably by customs .. you can all have the illegal legal debate amongst yourselves . (as the nic we bring in isn't covered by the TGA as therapeutic, and devices WITHOUT nic have no poisons act implications )

I had nightmares reading this as it almost caused Vietnam type flashbacks and post traumatic stress issues by bringing up that time in vaping history

If people think this warrants a sticky let me know

Read discuss , follow up , I shall be under a rock hiding with visions of meeting with Daniel Andrews ( then Victoria's "Health " Minister ) swirling in my head as I tried to prevent Pollie-cidal thoughts from launching me across the table ....
    Last edited by Fatman; 10-01-14 at 08:03 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    at the risk of being castrated by evil minions ... I fall back on the not poking sleeping bear defence
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

A great read, thank You FatMan.

What depresses me is that all the arguments put forward by the companies in the points raised section aren't that different to today's arguments.

The Government uses Nicotine's toxicity as it's main point to restrict sales allowing them to place it into schedule 7 poisons list, and I'm sure they are the envy of countries that are losing tax revenue, probably thinking, damn, we should have "thought of that". It's perhaps the strongest and easiest way to counteract the boom of the e-cig market.

I don't see nicotine e-juice sales becoming legal in the near future. Only when the regulative grounds have been set and the benefits demonstrated overseas, (I think mainly in the US) will Australia begin to follow.

Until then, it'll be import via unapproved therapeutics scheme only.

AVF Regular
    Can someone please explain to me LOL
    I am totally confussed

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    Can someone please explain to me LOL
    I am totally confussed
    OK pre this committee ... you could buy ecigs with nicotine freely ... you could even buy 5 litres of nicotine in McEwans lol ( Bunnings ) .... along come a few ecig firms advertising how great they are for beating smoke bans and giving up ciggies ... TGA says cant be doing that ... in Vic the poisons schedule made the nicotine buying ok ... so the TGA lobbied to change the Victorian Poison act to close the nationwide loophole ... no more nic sales ... and thus began the importing
    Hence the 2009 Poisons Act which made Nic a Schedule 7 poison in regard to e-cigs

Vastly condensed and missing intricacies
    Last edited by Fatman; 10-01-14 at 08:37 PM.

AVF Regular
    I've been vaping for 5 days. I've read and read and read ... the fear of our glorious leaders ignorantly ending nic import has weighed on my mind a lot .. it truly worries me. Right now (after 4 days of vapes) I have approx 1 years supply sitting in my fridge. Because of this ever present fear I will most likle get 10 years supply within the next few month.

I found this very interesting also

FINAL DECISIONS & REASONS FOR DECISIONS BY DELEGATES OF THE SECRETARY TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND AGEING
    SEPTEMBER 2011

http://www.tga.gov.au/pdf/scheduling...09-final-a.pdf

Scheduling amendments in relation to nicotine start on page 71. Ecigarettes are discussed on page 81.

These are the reasons given for the deletion of schedule 2 : nicotine to aid in withdrawal from smoking , which ecigarettes previously fell under.

Also firmly says ecigarettes are schedule 4 if for human therapeutic use , otherwise it's schedule 7 .
    GirlyPantz and jen like this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lozza 82 View Post

Also firmly says ecigarettes are schedule 4 if for human therapeutic use , otherwise it's schedule 7 .
    Which is why not making therapeutic claims is the way to go , if preserving the stautus quo

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Which is why not making therapeutic claims is the way to go , if preserving the stautus quo
    Huh huh, and if it's "therapeutic" it then falls under the TGA ... and we know how they feel!
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    vaping is only therapeutic for me in the sense that smoking was. nicotine stops me from having a total mental break down and strangling some ignorant sob. if i couldn't vape, i would still take nicotine in therapeutic doses via smoking. 6, half a dozen, yada yada yada.
    GirlyPantz and vaping_gal like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast