Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The Australian

The Australian

Not too bad an article , not sure if "vamping " is a typo or whether he just doesn't know.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Pragmatic plan needed for smokers, not prohibition

ROSS FITZGERALD
    The Australian
    January 11, 2014 12:00AM

ALTHOUGH I haven't smoked a cigarette for decades, I know many people who still do.

These days, only about 16 per cent of Australians smoke cigarettes, which by any measure represents a great success. But that still leaves many more than three million Australian smokers.

Many are hard-core smokers who are addicted to nicotine. The likelihood that they will quit and stay cigarette-free is not at all high.

The health risks for them remain life-threatening and the burden they place on our already stretched hospital system is extreme. Also, as parents and grandparents, they are often regarded by the young as role models helping to make smoking seem a grown-up thing to do.

We could simply make tobacco and cigarettes illegal. But would this really help?

Most probably many of these hard-core smokers and nicotine addicts would be welcomed with open arms by the illegal drugs industry. This would mean not only a boost in sales for the drug-pushers but also something that could make smoking seem really cool and therefore attractive again to teenagers.

Worse, illegal cigarettes from drug-pushers could be a big step along the road to them pushing - to new customers - hard drugs such as heroin and ice. So making cigarettes illegal may do much more harm than good.

We could do nothing and simply live with the effects of a much-reduced number of cigarette smokers. After all, these smokers know that their smoking will result in lung cancer, emphysema and heart disease. A number of them are libertarians prepared to face the risks and who deliberately cock a snook at what they see as dictates from the "health Nazis".

Sadly, such rule-breakers often make hero material for the young and naive. Indeed, that is one of the greatest long-term risks they present.

Vamping - using a vaporiser attached to a rechargeable battery - is another alternative. The evidence is that vamping reduces exposure to the carcinogens associated with cigarette smoking - most critically in terms of second-hand exposure of non-smokers to passive smoking.

So, while far from risk-free, vamping is a much safer way to feed a nicotine habit. It requires access to an e-liquid with a small dose of nicotine. Currently, this is legal in Britain and New Zealand, but illegal in Australia.

Paradoxically, because of the restrictions on the sale of cigarettes in Australia, we are well-placed to shift hard-core smokers from cigarettes to e-liquid vamping. Quite simply, this could be done by making the nicotine-laced e-liquid available alongside, and with the same restrictions, as cigarettes.

Then simply using price pressure - as we have so successfully done with cigarettes - the less expensive e-liquid for vamping may well see many of those three million or so hard-core smokers switching to the alternative nicotine delivery system.

Not an ideal solution, I agree. But neither are the alternatives of either banning all cigarettes or waiting for today's smokers to die with our fingers crossed that they do so without attracting too many new recruits.

Tony Abbott's ministers certainly understand the role of market forces and, in opposition, gave bipartisan support to using price pressure as a strong lever to reduce rates of smoking by making cigarettes ever more expensive to buy.

But, as the presence of a hard core of continuing smokers demonstrates, price pressure is ultimately faced by the law of diminishing returns.

Bearing this in mind, the federal government's highly capable Minister for Health, Peter Dutton, and his industrious Assistant Minister for Health, Fiona Nash, would do well to consider whether a new and less-damaging product sold at a price that undercuts cigarettes could succeed in making real inroads towards making cigarette smoking a thing of the past.

Certainly, such a pragmatic approach to health problems was characteristic of Tony Abbott when he was John Howard's minister for health and ageing.

Almost certainly, such a practical solution to reducing cigarette smoking will not be applauded by the chattering classes, who will gnash their teeth about giving way to the tobacco industry.

It will, however, be much appreciated by the families of suburban and regional Australia.

These families value the contribution of free enterprise and want to see family members who have been unable to quit have the opportunity to shift to a far less risky, yet in some ways less attractive, alternative.

Above all else, they value taking commonsense approaches to making Australia a healthier place to live.

In this, as in many other matters, the common sense of the mainstream should be given primary place for consideration by a competent government that places practical outcomes ahead of wordy rhetoric.

Emeritus professor of history and politics at Griffith University, Ross Fitzgerald's memoir My Name is Ross: an Alcoholic's Journey, is now available as an e-book
    Noe, margyb, lozza 82 and 11 others like this.

AVF Regular
    lol We're "vampers". Next we'll be vampires.

He's on the right track though. I like the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    lol We're "vampers". Next we'll be vampires.

He's on the right track though. I like the sentiment.
    Well a lot of us are pretty vampy, I can see where he got confused

Someone does need to email him and direct him here so he can discover that we are 'vapers'. Then he can correct himself and have an excuse to write yet another excellent article
    Last edited by Jessamine; 11-01-14 at 01:34 PM.

Noe, margyb, lozza 82 and 8 others like this.

wait a minute , why is vamping "far from risk free" ?
    spud and Bobthebuilder like this.

AVF Regular
    A well written article, without all the smoking/vaper bashing. Kind of refreshing. I keep seeing myself with pointy teeth!
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Quote Originally Posted by cirrus76 View Post
    wait a minute , why is vamping "far from risk free" ?
    Likely because they read the propaganda instead of the real science.

Cheers
    essiemessy, jen, spud and 1 others like this.
    Daily Setup: Modded 3400mah FDV iStick, Orchid v4 RTA
    Daily Juice: Vaporeyes - Lazer Lombardi
    In the mail: Vapor Flask DNA40

Nice opinion piece. I'm not terribly surprised he didn't get the "far from risk free" part right. "Vampers" would be my first clue.
    Bobthebuilder and cirrus76 like this.

AVF Regular
    If he's an ex alcoholic he will understand the helplessness of addiction. He certainly sounds like a person who has compassion, an isolated human voice in a desert of puritanical righteousness.

I wondered if he had a loved one who has taken up vaping?

I can't believe an entire article was published in a national newspaper referring to us as vampers, wtf?

But a very good, rational, compassionately written article.

AVF Regular
    I present to you the Vamp mod. Only works at night. Requires a 50/50 blood/plasma mix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast