Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Did plain packaging make you want to give up the stinkies?

Did plain packaging make you want to give up the stinkies?

Watching ABC news tonight I saw a snippet about health authorities claiming that their plain packaging is responsible for a big rise in people giving up the stinkies. I thought to myself, (very cynically), yeah right, wouldn't have anything to do with the massive price rise in December with another one planned real soon, it must be the gory pics and the poo brown packets.

For me it was the cost first and foremost, then because I found vaping and its just better in so many ways, my decision had absolutely nothing to do with the packaging of tobacco or cigarettes. I think this is an attempt to try and "prove" the success of a strategy that in my mind is a dismal failure. Maybe its a case of health officials seeing themselves becoming irrelevant so they have to try and show that they are achieving something. Very interesting times

I'd be interested in why others chose to give up the smokes, and if it had anything to do with the plain packing.
    tetsky, oogy, maggie and 3 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Absolutely nothing to do with plain packets, made no difference to me, all that fancy schmancy aesthetic stuff is lost on me usually

I don't honestly think that plain packaging or gruesome pics will make that much difference to smokers, but it's possible that it might influence people who don't yet smoke, and might, conceivably, reduce the number of people taking up the habit.

I quit because it was too damn expensive and ruining my health, and I have 4 kids, I feel like I owe it to them to try not to die before they reach adulthood at least
    Last edited by BlackDog; 14-01-14 at 01:02 AM. Reason: forgot to add stuff
    tetsky, Tokerz81, spud and 3 others like this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

AVF Regular
    It was many folded for me. I picked up vaping so I wouldn't have to go outside for a smoke at 2am, opening myself up to being vulnerable to a chupacabra attack.
    What I did notice, as did my parents who both smoke, is that when plain packaging came in, the quality of the ciggies went down. I thought they were imagining it, but I discovered that they were a lot more shitty. They tasted like those counterfeit smokes.

I smoked for many reasons, but one of the biggest being enjoyment. This flavour and quality change helped to send me right over to the vapour train. The price also helped too, hehe.
    I guess it was round about, but plain packaging did help, but not for the reasons proponents of it think.
    spud, avtek, maggie and 2 others like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Couldnt give a flying f... what the packets looked like. I was addicted to the ciggys not the packaging.
    The ever rising costs of smokes and the health benefits are what made me want to quit.

The people that are making these claims need to do a proper study before they start patting themselves on the back for a job well done.
    spud, maggie and buttonbrite like this.

AVF Regular
    all plain packaging meant for me was that i had to actually read the writing on the packet to make sure i got the right thing, instead of just being able to recognise it straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by CoronaC View Post
    Couldnt give a flying f... what the packets looked like. I was addicted to the ciggys not the packaging.
    The ever rising costs of smokes and the health benefits are what made me want to quit.

The people that are making these claims need to do a proper study before they start patting themselves on the back for a job well done.
    I agree, I never even looked at the packet anyway, altho' I did prefer the one that said, [" Smoking may harm your pregnancy"] they were certainly no danger to me and I used a cigarette tin anyway ... one with a message on it .... "No Smoking?" Fcuk you!"

It was all about affordability for me, and as I've said many times now, vaping for me was only meant to be a way to stop cravings so I could save money, I was amazed when I actually didn't even want to smoke!
    spud, buttonbrite and Triwuffus like this.

No, just pissed me off because the check out chicks took forever to find the right baccy. I gave up first for health reasons, and second for cost.
    spud, CoronaC, buttonbrite and 1 others like this.

Remember when the only trolls you had to deal with were under a bridge, and trying to eat your goats?

AVF Regular
    The spiteful ones among us would probably also get a kick from watching the poor girl at woolies rummaging through drawers and cupboards to find that elusive pack of Ardath white-blue, reading every single label and wishing someone would at least organise them alphabetically.
    spud, Mathy and buttonbrite like this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

AVF Regular
    I knew that fifty freaking per cent of smokers die of a smoking related illness. If that doesn't scare you off nothing will. The only thing that got me off em was finding something so much better. I'm a carrot man!!!
    BlackDog and spud like this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

HaHa Blackdog, and when they look at you like "Oh Hell, do I have to serve this no hoper" ?
    BlackDog and spud like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast