Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Flute
  • 1 Post By lozza 82
  • 1 Post By mavinry4
  • 2 Post By buttonbrite

Thread: Chicago on the Verge of Banning E-Cigarettes in Public Places

Chicago on the Verge of Banning E-Cigarettes in Public Places

The old "normalisation" argument. Looks like stealth vaping is going to be the way of the future in some parts of America.

Chicago on the Verge of Banning E-Cigarettes in Public Places Because They 'Normalize Smoking' - Hit & Run : Reason.com

As in New York, supporters of the ban say vaping looks too much like smoking to be tolerated. E-cigarettes "normalize smoking," complained Alderman Will Burns, a co-sponsor of the ordinance. "They make it seem OK to smoke."
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

What a joke! They should ban selling soft drink to kids also, as it looks too much like drinking alcohol...

California also wants to ban online ecig sales State lawmaker seeks ban on most tobacco, e-cigarette online sales - latimes.com

The bill, AB 1500, does not prohibit online retailers to ship to other retailers. By requiring customers to purchase tobacco products at brick-and-mortar locations, Dickinson says, the state would generate $24 million in sales tax revenue.
    The real reason WHY above.
    mavinry4 likes this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

Quote Originally Posted by lozza 82 View Post
    California also wants to ban online ecig sales State lawmaker seeks ban on most tobacco, e-cigarette online sales - latimes.com

The real reason WHY above.
    Also, Tobacco company Lorillard, have contracts with more than 50,000 tobacco retailers around the US to sell and display their Blu Cig brand of prefilled, non-refillable electronic cigarettes.

Cut out online sales, and people will be forced to walk into a room stacked wall to wall with tobacco products, and given the option of some crappy cigalike.

You scratch my back, I scratch yours, said the Tobacco Company to the Government.
    buttonbrite likes this.

AVF Regular
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Here's my problem with this. When major cities, like Chicago or NY ban ecigs in public, the message that people (non smokers and smokers alike) get when they hear the news is that these cities must have researched the facts and found ecigs are as harmful as smoking. Now this is far from the truth. The reason stated was "normalizing smoking to young people" or some such fluff. Still, I'm amazed by how many people really believe what the news says, or worse, just read the headlines and make their own assumptions about what the headline is about. Many non vapers will read that headline, or hear the 60 second the blurb on their TV news and think "hum, well, then, they've found out that smoking and vaping are to be treated equally so therefore they are equal in harm".

The more the "powers that be" lump vapers in with smokers, the harder it will be for vapers to break that misconception, with smokers and non smokers alike. I read the comments on this news story yesterday in the Chicago Tribune. So many people were commenting things like "Thank goodness, I've got serious allergies and these things were really messing with them". (I'd like to point out that even real cigarette smoke itself is not an allergen, it's an irritant. It's impossible to be allergic to cigarette smoke, much less the vapor produced by electronic devices). Still, it reinforced in this persons mind, who's probably gone her whole life thinking she was allergic to cigarette smoke, that the vapor was just the same. Then there were those saying stuff like "Yeah, I work with some guys who use these, and they stink even worse than cigarettes. I can barely breath when I go into the shop". Now even though NOTHING in the article they were commenting on actually SAID that vapor was harmful, and the reason given for the ban was the "normalizing of smoking to kids", these people immediately jumped to the conclusion that vaping was as harmful as smoking, or it reinforced already held but inaccurate beliefs. I'm not saying there weren't favorable comments there too, from vapers and non vapers, but the idiocy of some of the comments made me see the REAL impact of moves like these from (arguably) smaller government bodies like the Chicago city council.

So, the Chicago City council (who just recently raised cig taxes BTW) voted to send vapers outside of office buildings and bars to "protect" all those children. Now, they have to go to the streets and vape, because surely there won't be children there on the street...because they are all, apparently, safely hanging out inside the bars and office buildings. Am I the only one who sees the lunacy in this logic?

Edited to add: I was paraphrasing those comments. They are the condensed "gist" version, but not word for word.
    lozza 82 and lulu68 like this.