Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: United Kingdom to Regulate E-Cigarettes from 2016

Wink United Kingdom to Regulate E-Cigarettes from 2016

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the government agency responsible for regulating all medicines and medical devices in the United Kingdom to ensure that they work and are acceptably safe, has announced that it will regulate e-cigarettes as medicines from 2016 onwards. This means that electronic cigarettes will have to undergo stringent checks by the medicine regulator before they can be sold on the British market. It also means that physicians will be able to prescribe them to smokers as a quit smoking tool. The new regulations will extend to all nicotine-containing products.

Cigarette smoking is the biggest cause of preventable death in the United Kingdom, killing an estimated 80,000 people annually. Needless to say, this is a major health problem, and reducing the number of smokers is a national health priority.

Jeremy Means from the MHRA said in a press release dated 12 June 2013: “Reducing the harms of smoking to smokers and those around them is a key Government health priority. Our research has shown that existing electronic cigarettes and other nicotine containing products on the market are not good enough to meet this public health priority. Some NCPs are already licensed and the Government’s decision to work towards medicines licensing for all these products is designed to deliver quality products that will support smokers to cut down and to quit. The decision announced today provides a framework that will enable good quality products to be widely available. It’s not about banning products that some people find useful, it’s about making sure that smokers have an effective alternative that they can rely on to meet their needs.”

A number of leading British health figures endorsed the move by the MHRA, including Professor Dame Sally Davies, the United Kingdom Chief Medical Officer, Deborah Arnott, the Chief Officer of the anti-smoking charity ASH, and Dr Clare Gerada, the Chair of the General Council at the Royal College of General Practitioners.

The MHRA advises people to use nicotine-replacement products to quit smoking, and the purpose of the new regulation is to ensure that e-cigarettes meet minimum health and safety standards.

It is estimated that some 1.3 million people use electronic cigarettes in the United Kingdom.

Source: MHRA, “UK moves towards safe and effective electronic cigarettes and other nicotine-containing products”, 12 June 2013, MHRA website.

WAKE UP AUSTRALIA HOW MUCH MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED!
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Old News - Not likely to happen now. Especially as this stance was thrown out by the European Parliament. Thank god. E-Cigs have exploded in the UK since June.
    Moving to regulation when it's freely available and widely accepted will be almost impossible to implement.
    GirlyPantz and vaping_gal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Old News - Not likely to happen now. Especially as this stance was thrown out by the European Parliament. Thank god. E-Cigs have exploded in the UK since June.
    Moving to regulation when it's freely available and widely accepted will be almost impossible to implement.
    Bugger! and I thought it wonderful
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    The UK will be implementing the MHRA regulations in 2016 as far as I know, they can act unilaterally and do not have to accept the EU parliament rules. It is a battle that is ongoing for UK vapers. The EU regulation framework has not been settled either , so this is very much a battle that is still happening, and not won by any means.

Some of the latest news and views from Clive Bates, interesting reading.

http://www.clivebates.com/?p=1818
    Last edited by spud; 16-01-14 at 09:18 AM. Reason: addition
    GirlyPantz and Triwuffus like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    I can see regulation on nicotine will eventually come and in some ways the atomiser/cartomiser/coil.
    The strength of the nicotine will be of concern as well as the purity of ingredients. (PG and VG etc)
    There will likely be some regs on materials of the coils, wicks and tanks and their reactions to the processes and well as contaminants.

If any regulation does come in (very likely pushed by BP), BT will be able to match it with their gen 1's and non refillable cartos because of the $ involved.
    Where does the gen 2 and gen 3 end up in this push for regulation- who knows for certain.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

Is the ecig business you endorse the site that you get your nic from ?

Maggie- who are you directing the question to?

The op has links to an acig business ( Aus?) which sells nic juice... husband and wife business/ don't know which state but thought it was illegal here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I can see regulation on nicotine will eventually come and in some ways the atomiser/cartomiser/coil.
    The strength of the nicotine will be of concern as well as the purity of ingredients. (PG and VG etc)
    There will likely be some regs on materials of the coils, wicks and tanks and their reactions to the processes and well as contaminants.

If any regulation does come in (very likely pushed by BP), BT will be able to match it with their gen 1's and non refillable cartos because of the $ involved.
    Where does the gen 2 and gen 3 end up in this push for regulation- who knows for certain.
    Hi, Ozzie,

The problem as I see it, is that a lot of nic-e-juice that is sold on line does not conform with the required labelling requirements
    The only Nic-juice that I have seen to date that lists the ingredients as is required by Aussie law is FEELLIFE brand. That seems to be the main objection in Australia, but I could be wrong. e-juices use food additives, correct?
    If so then their packaging must comply with the FANZ food labelling code for a start.

Jim.

Apart from the fact nicotine is not allowed to be sold or supplied in AU.
    AFAIK they have food flavourings not food products.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast