Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Old Dog
  • 2 Post By tugboatofdeath
  • 3 Post By mavinry4
  • 1 Post By Old Dog

Thread: Nanny McKee wants to ban ecigs

Nanny McKee wants to ban ecigs

A BBC4 radio interview including serial banstubater Martin McKee.

Try not to punch your computer.

It only involves the first 10min of the podcast ...........

BBC Radio 4 - Inside Health, 28/01/2014

AVF Regular
    listened this morning, what a joke, more attempts to conflate vaping with big tobacco and smoking. he's being hassled on twitter
    Old Dog and spud like this.

lou
    AVF Regular
    WHAT!? WHAT!? WHAT!? RUBBISH!!!!!

AVF Regular
    crap crap....

Martin McKee says that there "is no reason why bubblegum flavoured ecigs need to be sold"

If he were to say that bubble gum flavoured ejuice labelled as bubblegum should be changed to something like "Uva Aroma" or something along those lines, then he would have a valid point. The marketing of Uva ejuice is less likely to appeal to children than "grape bubblegum".

But he didn't take that position. He blatantly said that all flavours should be banned.

An asshole. A danger to public health.
    Old Dog, spud and vaping_gal like this.

A couple of opinions on the interview.

First, redheadfullofsteam ...

Listening to BBC Radio 4′s Inside Health show last night, I was treated to what was billed as “three leading lights in the field” holding forth on the public health issues surrounding e-cigs. What I in fact got was a single leading light, in the shape of Robert West, and some filler material provided by Messrs. Martin McKee (yes, that man again) and Gerard Hastings.

Having spent some time transcribing the words of McKee and Hastings (West I shall return to in a later post), and finally having managed to suppress my helpless laughter, I would like to discuss their rather unique takes on the world of free markets, marketing and a few other issues.

Let’s begin today with McKee’s opening salvo, in which he reveals a surprising lack of real world knowledge about… well, about anything at all really.
    redheadfullofsteam | coming down upon the opponents of vaping with great vengeance and furious anger

and Gluggler .......

Last night, Prof Martin McKee appeared on BBC Radio 4 on their Inside Health show.

He was there to talk about the subject of electronic cigarettes, a subject that he displays little or no understanding of, so one has to wonder why he was chosen ?

The answer, it seems, was that it was down to a bit of a mistake, because the presenter wrongly thought that he was a "leading light" on the subject.

Indeed, that is how this part of the show started, with the words:
    " I am joined by three leading lights in the field" - which explains the mistake.

You see, when it comes to electronic cigarettes, Martin McKee is most certainly not a "leading light"
    This is how he is viewed by his peers, on e-cigs :
    Gluggler's Blog: Martin McKee - talks rubbish, no research and out of touch
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I thought there were some very good points made interspersed with some rubbish....mostly from McKee. I believe vaping should be separated from smoking and I think the cigalike manufacturers and their advertising are doing more harm to vaping than just about anything else. I've never agreed with the "demonisation" of smokers, however it exists and if vaping is not separated from smoking then vaping will come under that demonisation umbrella. We all know it's wrong, but since when has that made any difference. There were some good points made concerning 2nd & 3rd gen devices and the fact that cessation rates using ecigs are on the rise. It was much better than other things I've heard/read that are only anti ecigs with no countering arguments.