Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rose

Thread: Electronic cigarette blamed for South Perth apartment block fire - ABC News - Perth

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22

    Post Electronic cigarette blamed for South Perth apartment block fire - ABC News - Perth

    This article is at the top of the ABC News website for Perth. I think it may generate some discussion. "The occupant of the apartment told firefighters she believed her electronic cigarette which was charging, may have short circuited".

    Electronic cigarette blamed for South Perth apartment block fire - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

    Electronic cigarette blamed for South Perth apartment block fire
    Updated 11 minutes ago

    An electronic cigarette is believed to have caused a fire in a South Perth apartment block.
    PHOTO: An electronic cigarette is believed to have caused a fire which led to the evacuation of dozens of people from a South Perth apartment block. (Grant Wynne)
    MAP: South Perth 6151
    An electronic cigarette is believed to have caused a fire which led to the evacuation of dozens of people from a South Perth apartment block.

    Firefighters were called to the building on Swan Street just after 7:00pm yesterday and arrived to find a ground floor unit fully ablaze.

    Damage to the two bedroom unit has been estimated at more than $150,000.

    The occupant of the apartment told firefighters she believed her electronic cigarette which was charging, may have short circuited.

    Adrian Kwa who lives next door said the unit went up in flames within seconds.

    "Sitting watching TV and heard a girl crying so just ran outside and noticed a lot of smoke coming out of her apartment and just realised there was a fire, she was just crying hysterically, I just saw the smoke and tried to grab the hose straight away. the hose wasn't enough really and the fire brigade was here within minutes," he said.

    "She was just crying hysterically.

    "I just saw the smoke and tried to grab a hose straight away, couldn't see any flames at that stage just a lot of smoke, a lot of smoke coming out, everyone was shouting trying to get everyone out, but people were out fairly quickly."

    Mr Kwa said residents fled as the fire took hold.

    "Well everyone was shouting trying to get everyone out, I think a lot of people had the smoke throughout their apartments above, I think most people evacuated pretty quickly, but no-one's hurt which is a great result, but we'll see what the insurance has to say."

    Topics: fires, south-perth-6151

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    868
    So in other words it was an ordinary electric fire, that could just have easily been caused by a fan, or a toaster or an electric blanket.
    spud likes this.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    5,952
    Or a cigarette.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bray Park, Brisbane.
    Posts
    726
    There goes my children's battery operated toys then

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Orange NSW
    Posts
    152
    Charging any battery carries a risk...now if she had been using a charging bag....operator error as much to blame as device failure.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bunbury, WA
    Posts
    5,951
    of course the headline would be "electronic cigarette blamed ... " and not "charging battery blamed ... " or "battery charger blamed ... "
    bloody typical.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 03:03 AM.