Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: New Study of Passive Vaping Shows No Evidence of a Significant Public Health Hazard

New Study of Passive Vaping Shows No Evidence of a Significant Public Health Hazard

A new study published online ahead of print in the International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health is one of the first to examine levels of chemicals in the ambient air of a real-life setting in the presence of electronic cigarette use.

The most important results were as follows:

1. "Indoor concentrations of CO and CO2 showed no difference between control and vaping periods."

2. "Formaldehyde, benzene and the pyrolysis products acrolein and acetone did not exceed background concentrations."

3. "With regard to the seven PAH classified as probable carcinogens by the IARC, the concentrations increased on average by 20% from 122.8 ng/m3 (control) to 147.3 + 26.2 ng/m3."

4. "No significant increase was observed for the toxic and potentially carcinogenic elements cadmium, arsenic and thallium."

5. "The concentrations of elements and metals showed a 2.4-fold increase for aluminum." [However, there was no significant increase for any other metal, including copper, chromium, nickel, lead, tin, vanadium, or zinc.]
    The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: New Study of Passive Vaping Shows No Evidence of a Significant Public Health Hazard

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    "There are clearly two ways to spin this study. One is to emphasize the study's reassuring findings that there were no substantial causes for serious concern. Another is to spin it as these authors did, stating their conclusion as follows:

"Analysis of indoor air quality during vaping sessions showed that e-cigarettes are not emission-free." This was the second time the authors used this phrasing to summarize their findings. Right now, that e-cigarettes are not emission free appears to be about the most alarming thing that can be said about them."

LoL
    The ANTZ still clutching at straws will love this.
    margyb, Old Dog, Olfella and 4 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Thanks for the post. As obvious as those findings are those studies are important.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Would like to know where 240% increase in aluminium came from. They probably used cigalikes in the study.

Had to laugh when I saw this in the comments. Oh no, it will renormalise smoking
    spud likes this.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    Indeed the straws are getting clutched
    spud likes this.
    Vape on

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sushiaddiction View Post
    Would like to know where 240% increase in aluminium came from. They probably used cigalikes in the study.
    Quite likely, the cigalike I bought once had a foil seal in the cartridge that you broke by pushing onto the SS wick. Not sure how close it would get to the coil, but if its hot enough, I guess it could release trace amounts of aluminium.
    margyb and spud like this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    Quite likely, the cigalike I bought once had a foil seal in the cartridge that you broke by pushing onto the SS wick. Not sure how close it would get to the coil, but if its hot enough, I guess it could release trace amounts of aluminium.
    So that's how they work? I've never seen one. Cartomizers might be bare aluminium in places too. None of that is really relevant to us. Was curious to know if it was coming from kanthal.

I was surprised the first time I saw how much metal is released with a little heating. Small amount but a constant stream. This was not vaping related.

]6⁹.12[

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Any juice in contact with aluminium parts inside the e-cig is likely to react with the juice & put traces of the metal into the vapor.
    Much like using an aluminium saucepan leaches trace amounts of aluminium into the food, which is why we all use Stainless Steel saucepans now right?

This is why I like my RBA/RDAs, they are made of SS , I'd love to see results from similar tests done on purely SS atties, I bet they'd find no aluminium then
    sushiaddiction likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Anyone who breathes air close to civilisation breathes in trace amounts of all types of things.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sushiaddiction View Post
    So that's how they work? I've never seen one. Cartomizers might be bare aluminium in places too. None of that is really relevant to us. Was curious to know if it was coming from kanthal.

I was surprised the first time I saw how much metal is released with a little heating. Small amount but a constant stream. This was not vaping related.
    Thats the only one Ive ever seen, not sure if they all work like that. Here's how mine works anyway.

This is what it looks like stripped down a little: Battery, atomiser, cartridge (sorry for pic quality, i suck as a photographer and the light is bad in here

The atomiser: the pointy part on top is some kind of metal stuff like steel wool twisted into a pointed wick, you use it to poke through the foil

Inside the cartridge, the foil seal covers a little plastic reservoir with the juice in it.

It's a cigalike, ergo: garbage. However if it hadn't been for the crappiness of this device, I wouldn't have gone googling for answers and found out about real devices
    spud likes this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast