Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Third-hand Smoke Shown to Cause Health Problems

Third-hand Smoke Shown to Cause Health Problems

It's time that these researchers in white coats were taken away by the men in white coats !

Third-hand smoke is a potential health threat to children, spouses of smokers and workers in environments where smoking is, or has been, allowed. Contamination of the homes of smokers by third-hand smoke is high, both on surfaces and in dust, including children’s bedrooms. Re-emission of nicotine from contaminated indoor surfaces in these households can lead to nicotine exposure levels similar to that of smoking. Third-hand smoke, which contains strong carcinogens, has been found to persist in houses, apartments and hotel rooms after smokers move out.
    UCR Today: Third-hand Smoke Shown to Cause Health Problems

AVF Regular
    Surely that can be labelled as 'grasping at straws'?

People are paid good money to come up with this crap? I'll bet there's more risk in drinking tap water than being exposed to "3rd hand smoke"
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    1st hand gravy train, 2nd hand gravy train and now PRESENTING NEW 3rd hand gravy train. ALL ABOARD CAH CHING !!!
    Old Dog and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    pfft! what a load of old drivel

drivel
    ˈdrɪv(ə)l/Submit
    noun
    nonsense.
    "don't talk such drivel!"
    synonyms: nonsense, twaddle, claptrap, balderdash, gibberish, rubbish, mumbo jumbo; informalrot, tommyrot, poppycock, phooey, hot air, eyewash, piffle, garbage, tripe, waffle, bosh, bull, bunk, blah, hogwash, baloney; informalcobblers, codswallop, cock, stuff and nonsense, tosh, double Dutch; informalflapdoodle, blathers, wack, bushwa, applesauce; informalbunkum; vulgar slangcrap, bullshit, bollocks, balls; vulgar slangcrapola; vulgar slangbulldust
    "Walter was talking complete drivel"
    Last edited by kay67kay; 02-02-14 at 12:11 AM.
    spud likes this.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    I'm sure that third-hand can be turned into some type of hilarious wank-joke... it just hasn't come to me.
    Do you know de way 👺

AVF Regular
    lol omg what will they think of next? On the other hand I can see some ex smokers making good money from this ... Think of it...

Oh noooes your house has 3rd hand smoke! Its dangerous! Dont expose yourself or your loved ones to it! Let our experts help in thier new you beaut 3rd hand smoke suits.. and specialty cleaning products
    Rates starting from $30 per hour and service guaranteed
    call 00696969 call us now
    spud and DaveJ like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    They can't be serious. They just can't be serious.

Haven't these people ever heard of a vacuum cleaner? Or wiping down surfaces with a cloth and some cleaning solution?

BAM. Problem solved. Dust and surface contaminates (if there really are any - I have my doubts about second hand smoke as it is) gone.

But seriously - how can this happen? It's already been proven that the smoker absorbs almost all the of the nicotine from the cigarette - therefore there isn't enough left in the exhaled smoke to be anywhere near as high as the nicotine levels of smoking "first hand". That and skin is nowhere near as permiable as lung tissue, and skin based nicotine exposure makes way longer to "hit" - that's why patches have all that extra stuff in them to make the skin of the wearer more permiable.

I just don't see any logical way that "third hand smoke" can lead to the same levels of nicotine entering the body as the first hand smoking of tobacco.

And given the last two sentences in that summary - are they concerned about nicotine, or carcinogens? Because they are not one and the same (as we know).

They bring up childhood asthma and hyperactivity - then why have rates of those two conditions shot up over the last few decades, when smoking rates have plummeted? Surely there must be something worse out there than cigarettes - perhaps it'd be a good idea for them to find it?

And lastly - what did you expect from an article from a place that has banned ALL "nicotine and tobacco use" (legal products, last I checked) - including ecigs (as stated), SNUs (as inferred by the "of any kind"), and traditional NRT (would also be covered by "nicotine" and "of any kind"). Wow... talk about making people suffer. I have to wonder how good their compliance rates are with rules that unrelentingly draconian.

I'm well and truly open to the idea that my "scientific knowledge" may be off - what I know I've picked up from reading studies... but something about that article just smells fishy.
    Old Dog, spud and dnar like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

Third hand "smoke" ?

Everyone knows its the 4th hand smoke that is the real danger.
    Toddosh and spud like this.
    Vaping does not resemble poisonous tobacco smoking, it is a safe replacement.

Replace, not resemble.

Safe, not toxic.

AVF Regular
    You can't just vacuum it up Fractal, I mean then you put it in the bin, won't someone think of the poor garbo.....he has to handle all those mountains of (by now) 4th hand smoke. The only way to properly get rid of it is to call in the asbestos removal mob......after every cigarette.....lol.

Third hand smoke would be lucky to contain as much nicotine as a potato or a tomato (both of which should be classified as a nicotine delivery device.....my chopping board probably has 3rd hand tomato on it).
    Last edited by Blaktop; 02-02-14 at 06:41 AM.
    spud likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast