Like Tree22Likes
  • 11 Post By spud
  • 4 Post By spud
  • 6 Post By mavinry4
  • 1 Post By spud

Thread: Nicotine and Depression

Nicotine and Depression

As someone who uses nicotine as a mood enhancer, I'm interested in the research on nicotine used to help alleviate the symptoms of depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive behaviour, among other neurological conditions.

I think this was one of the major reasons that I took to vaping so easily, because I am still able to enjoy the benefits of nicotine, (including the ability to take a break from situations/people/stressful activities), without the need to use tobacco.

There is a political, ideological, and commercial downside to acknowledging the connection between these neurological conditions and the benefits of using nicotine, as to acknowledge these benefits would mean that vaping would be a viable way for people that currently either smoke tobacco, or use pharma drugs to alleviate the symptoms of these conditions, and it goes against the interests of those that sell and support either tobacco or pharma drugs to offer this as a viable alternative to their products, and the money generated for the companies and the governments that feed off them, as well as taxes garnered by the government themselves by taxing these products. Ideologically the prejudice against nicotine itself, (because of its long association with tobacco smoking), plays a big part in there being a lack of funding to research nicotine as a beneficial chemical.

Nicotine Lessens Symptoms of Depression in Nonsmokers - DukeHealth.org

Effect of nicotine and nicotinic receptors on an... [Neuroreport. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Smoking and Depression: Targeting Nicotine Receptors To Relieve Depression | Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (Formerly NARSAD)
    Captain, margyb, Old Dog and 8 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

In addition, I've always been puzzled by the prejudice against nicotine, (when not associated with tobacco smoking), because it is addictive. Other pharma drugs used to treat depression, and other neurological conditions, are also addictive, and have often very significant side effects, as well as needing to be taken on an ongoing basis or the symptoms return, but drugs like SSRI's are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in Australia today.

Nicotine is addictive in the majority of people that use it, but from studies so far, and with some of the data coming from studies of vaping, people do not increase their nicotine consumption over the long term, (although they may temporarily increase it at times of high stress or anxiety), they are more likely to decrease consumption, and it is a self limiting drug, so the person is in control of the amount of nicotine they use, without the necessity of long periods of titration by health professionals to achieve a dose that alleviates symptoms in the user.
    Old Dog, mavinry4, Rynxa and 1 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

More to add to this page : The wonderful benefits of using nicotine

I do have some fear about the long term effects of nicotine, not it's physioligcal affects, but it's behavioural affects.

Nicotine binds to the Substantia Nigra neurons, who's axons project into the nucleus accumbens releasing dopamine. That release of dopamine into the NA is a reward to oneself. Sometimes that reward is beneficial, such as when a person feels stressed in bumper to bumper traffic, or awaiting importing test results of some kind. It relieves anxiety in the short term.

However, for a person who is vulnerable to procrastination, particularly those with ADHD, nicotine, because of it's rewarding affects, may end up providing a reward stimulous in times when a a reward stimulous should not be given.

A great example of this would be when a person who should be writing up an important report, decides to fill up his carto tank with the finest 20mg/mL ejuice, log onto a vaping forum and discuss the possible long term effects of nicotine on his own behaviour. Nicotine is rewarding this act of procrastination, and is indeed harmful for that person.

Logging off. Talk to you all tomorrow.
    margyb, Old Dog, Rynxa and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    More to add to this page : The wonderful benefits of using nicotine

I do have some fear about the long term effects of nicotine, not it's physioligcal affects, but it's behavioural affects.

Nicotine binds to the Substantia Nigra neurons, who's axons project into the nucleus accumbens releasing dopamine. That release of dopamine into the NA is a reward to oneself. Sometimes that reward is beneficial, such as when a person feels stressed in bumper to bumper traffic, or awaiting importing test results of some kind. It relieves anxiety in the short term.

However, for a person who is vulnerable to procrastination, particularly those with ADHD, nicotine, because of it's rewarding affects, may end up providing a reward stimulous in times when a a reward stimulous should not be given.

A great example of this would be when a person who should be writing up an important report, decides to fill up his carto tank with the finest 20mg/mL ejuice, log onto a vaping forum and discuss the possible long term effects of nicotine on his own behaviour. Nicotine is rewarding this act of procrastination, and is indeed harmful for that person.

Logging off. Talk to you all tomorrow.
    Thanks for the link to that thread Mav, before my time on the forum, but definitely worth a read

Now get off the forum and go do some work

mavinry4 likes this.