Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Coral Gartner's comments concerning Raised Public Health Concerns

Coral Gartner's comments concerning Raised Public Health Concerns

Some time last year, a silly journalist reported that the Labour Party had plans to ban tobacco cigarettes if Coral Gartner and Wayne Hall's ecig efficacy trial showed people moving to ecigs. Coral Gartner refuted this claim. The study is funded by NHMRC, an independent research body.

But the interesting part about Coral Gartner's statement was:

Two concerns have been expressed [by Public Health Advocates] that:

• smokers will use e-cigarettes when they are unable to smoke cigarettes and will continue to smoke cigarettes at other times, rather than quitting.

• e-cigarettes will be used by the tobacco industry to increase smoking among young people by introducing them to a supposedly “safer” product and later encouraging them to smoke cigarettes.

These are the common talking points raised by people like SC - i.e Dual-Use and Gateway

I can understand how the first concern can be tested in this efficacy study, and might actually be true if inefficent vaping equipment is chosen. I imagine they'll be asking people in a survey where and when did they vaped most.

However, in what possible way can this study give any insight into the 2nd concern? Are they doing surveys on Aussie School kids too?
    GirlyPantz, margyb, Rynxa and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Even though i took part in this study I actually don't feel that Australia is the right country to do the research in as we simply don't have a high enough vaper population to get realistic results. Am hoping someone could prove me wrong here, but i just don't see how they are going to get bulk reliable data from this country.

AVF Regular
    I imagine interviewing or surveying never-smokers aged between 18 and 25 on e-cig use would be something they did. Young people doesn't necessarily mean school kids.
    GirlyPantz and mavinry4 like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

What I don't understand is that if it is a safe product what the problem is? We have a massive social and economic problem with alcohol but they are worried about mini smoke machines.

Determine if the product is safe first, that should be the no. 1 priority. If there are risks then control those risks with legislation to at least give access to those who want an effective NRT.

I don't buy the whole kids argument. It's nice front page media stuff, but even a small amount of critical thinking would show young people are exposed to far more dangerous substances.
    GirlyPantz, mavinry4, JenJ and 3 others like this.

That was just a vent. Thanks OP for the post.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    You would think critical thinking and rational go hand in hand. nooooooo
    Aussie Vaper likes this.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    But the interesting part about Coral Gartner's statement was:

• e-cigarettes will be used by the tobacco industry to increase smoking among young people by introducing them to a supposedly “safer” product and later encouraging them to smoke cigarettes.
    Considering they'll be making a profit either way - I'm failing to see why a cigarette company would give a crap one way of the other as to which of it's products someone was using. Particularly when an ecig user will be a customer for much, much longer, and the price of the product they're buying is not mostly made up of government taxes.
    GirlyPantz, spud, lou and 2 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    i can't see how bt can encourage people to smoke cigarettes in any way at all. they are not allowed to advertise anywhere. their products are not allowed to be displayed anywhere. how are they going to get the message of smoking to anyone, even if the do get them to start vaping? whisper in their ears while there at the checkout paying for their latest crappy cigalike? it's a stupid and baseless argument.
    spud, vaping_gal and Aussie Vaper like this.

• smokers will use e-cigarettes when they are unable to smoke cigarettes and will continue to smoke cigarettes at other times, rather than quitting.

Well, there's the conclusions, so all that's needed is the statisticians to massage the numbers of the survey until they agree with the new policy, that's already been decided.

So freaking what!!! They are using less tobacco, and at least there is a far better chance of them replacing tobacco cigs with vaping if they are already giving them a try.

Same old story from the puritans, quit or die, and if you're going to quit you damn well need to suffer to do it.

GAWD these people shit me
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast