Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Why It's Called An 'E-Cigarette' And 'E-Smoking'

Why It's Called An 'E-Cigarette' And 'E-Smoking'

So why do we use smoking terms?

We have to use smoking-related terms in order to increase our user base. It will not always be necessary to do so, and perhaps the break point will come at around 25% of smoker conversions: the point at which a quarter of smokers have switched, and public knowledge of the equipment and practice will be widespread.

The problem currently is that unless the term 'electronic cigarette' or 'e-cigarette' is used, no one will (a) have a clue what you are talking about, (b) be able to find the products with a web search, or (c) want to switch from smoking.

The right and wrong way to build our community

If you want hardly anyone to try a new idea, then go about promoting it the wrong way. If you want millions to use it, you'll have to go with the flow even when you know the terms used are not accurate. Maybe later on people will accept that the thing they are using is not a horseless carriage, it's an automobile. And then you can find an even better word like car.

Right now we need the numbers or we will be crushed. This needs to be a voting issue ASAP - millions of lives are at stake. We can worry about the niceties later.
    Why It's Called An 'E-Cigarette' And 'E-Smoking'

AVF Regular
    Good points OD
    Thank you for posting
    Old Dog and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    That writer makes quite a few very good points. Specifically about attracting people to us, and having to put up with the terminology we need to use in order to do so, even if we are not comfortable with it.

Im hoping one day we eventually ditch the word e-cigarettes, along with the use of "mg" to describe nicotine content.

"PV" and "%" need to start being used.

AVF Regular
    Am ok with e cigarette.. it is what it is for many people atm... although I also like PV its got its issues. % I think just makes it more difficult to understand and jargons up dialogue for alot of people
    Mathy likes this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Maybe later on people will accept that the thing they are using is not a horseless carriage, it's an automobile. And then you can find an even better word like car.
    And how did the word "car" come about?

... It's short for "carriage".

On topic - I like mg/ml.... we're FINALLY sneaking the metric system in to the US .
    mavinry4, Mathy and HoleyMumma like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Sorry, I disagree with the link and frankly (this may sound racist) is about the opposite of most Aussies ethical compass. I refuse to use smoking terms! I am not smoking, I am vaping. I am not producing smoke! Yanks may want to increase the visibility by making it more palatable but fark that... straya, we are the ones that will go against the grain and an incredibly suspicious of anything that sounds too good to be true.

I don't use an e-cigarette. I use a vaporiser. I don't make smoke.
    chaotic thoughts likes this.

I kinda like the article, but certain things he says makes me cringe. Such as -

Let's be clear about this: 'electronic cigarette' is a marketing ploy with no real application to the product being described.
    No it's not just a marketing ploy. Marketing ploys can not just be made up out of thin air. They must have some connection with reality. E-cigarettes work because they do in fact have similarities to cigarettes.

It doesn't matter how good your marketing is, you are not going to get people to switch and give up cigarettes by giving them a lolipop and telling them it's just like a cigarette.

Ecigarettes are just like cigarettes - they also have many important differences, but it does not follow that because they have differences that they are not like cigarettes. This is nonsense.

I know a lot of people don't like it, but my kids call my PV, 'mumma's fake ciggie'. They don't need to know the finer details, just the fact that I am transitioning to using a product full time that is a shitload better for me than ciggies.
    Being a mumma, Tattoos, Piercings and now vaping are my thing!

"Bipolar disorder can be a great teacher. It's a challenge, but it can set you up to be able to do almost anything else in your life." - CARRIE FISHER

Personally I don't like the term e-cig but get why its used.

Out and about or at a mates place if I get asked what it is the first time I'll say it's "an e-cig or better known as a vapouriser", e-cig is included because that is the common lexicon. After that it's a PV or vapouriser to move the conversation beyond the negative connotations associated with smokes

I disagree with some of the above. If I was using a gen 1 device, yep it's an e-cig no doubt about it. Out and about I've got a KFL on an MVP what I'm doing is not smoking a cigarette it's vaping, yes I'm inhaling nicotine but that's where any analogy with smoking finishes.

Marketing is about perception and what people perceive is their truth. I'm not a e-smoker, I'm a vaper and for me the changes in my health prove there is a difference, does john or jane q public care? No, but grass roots are where change start.

I'd much rather someone search for vaping than e-cig but am rational enough to know that at this point in time e-cig will give them more results. Over time though I'm hoping that will change.
    spud likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast