Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: CALL FOR HELP: New Australian study needs vape friendly doctor in Brisbane

CALL FOR HELP: New Australian study needs vape friendly doctor in Brisbane

Email to me from Coral Gartner following some lengthy discussions:

"Thanks for forwarding and happy new year! Iím just starting initial work on a grant application for a new study to look at 2nd generation vaporisers vs 1st generation. The project will be based in Brisbane and Ron is also planning to run something in Melbourne and I think we are going to design them such that they are very similar and potentially combine the data. We are planning to provide the participants with some hands on training and access to mentoring advice from experienced users. We will supply the nicotine solution via medical practitioners/nurse practitioners. I was wondering if you can suggest any Brisbane-based practitioners who may be interested in being involved in such a study, that I could contact? Someone with experience of nicotine vaporisers would be ideal. This is obviously all subject to funding, but if successful would start in 2015."

I have sorted the Melbourne situation re: prescribers; if anyone could PM me anyone they think might be willing to help from Brisbane that would be great!

They have to comply with huge amounts of restriction and regulation, and at present their only way forward is a loophole that allows supply of liquid nicotine via prescription from a registered doctor, or perhaps a Nurse Practitioner (a very specific qualification that allows prescribing by nurses who have done a Nurse Practitioner course).

Eventually we would hope to recruit mentors as well, but I'm assuming that would be relatively easy from the community.

Pretty exciting hey?
    margyb, lozza 82, marty and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Wow great news VOG
    Just need to find a vaper in Qld who has a GP who is in full support of vaping
    Looks like they will use the prescription method of importing the nicliquid for their trial
    Good news is it isnt starting til 2015
    I just hope they import a nicliquid that is good from overseas that the recruits will like

My mind is boggling at the moment

AVF Regular
    I would be very happy to be a mentor and give advice to new users during the trial

At the moment they are thinking of going for Ecopure because it has the most certification/approvals so far; it's not bad as far as I've read, but it is limited in flavour choice. I'm hopeful they might be able to use Flavorart, which allows a heap more flavours, and indeed you could argue it has gone through more testing than Ecopure.
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    I wonder if Coral and her team has looked into this ??

Access to unapproved therapeutic goods
    Clinical trials in Australia

http://www.tga.gov.au/pdf/clinical-t...guidelines.pdf

Yes, she's across all of this, basically she has tried to submit trials for approval under different provisions but it is all down to the TGA's judgement, and the conclusion from the TGA and the various approval bodies is that the nicotine must be prescribed. Not an overwhelming hurdle.
    margyb likes this.

Thanks Margy for agreeing to be a mentor. I pushed for this in the context of building a trial that would most accurately reflect real world use, where vaping spreads person to person, through personal tuition.
    margyb and aussie63 like this.

Ecopure soon to b known as Ecovape do not use PG in their liquids. They are 100% vg. That could b a major drawback in the trials. 100% VG is a PITA IMO and doesn't work well with many 2nd generation toppers. They should b looking at e-liquid companies with a bigger range and pg/vg ratios that are more user friendly.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

jen
    AVF Regular
    V2 has batch testing and PDF downloads of ingredients if that helps any. Flavours I tried were fab, too exxy for me tho.
    Downloads | Manuals at V2 Cigs
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    Incase newbies are wondering who Dr Coral Gartner is
    link

Dr Coral gardner On e-cigarettes
    Nasha likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast