• 1 Post By tom32
  • 8 Post By Robray
  • 3 Post By tom32
  • 3 Post By Rynxa
  • 3 Post By Robray

Thread: Another exploder

Another exploder

Birmingham woman's shock as e-cigarette explodes in its charger

The dangers of smoking were brought home to a Birmingham grandmother when her e-cigarette exploded ‘like a firework’ in her living room.

Linda Simpson, 43, was charging the electronic device for the first time when it burst into flames at her house in Weoley Castle.

The front room carpet suffered burn damage but no one was injured in the explosion drama, witnessed by her husband Edward.

Now the school chef wants to warn others about the potential dangers of the popular e-cigs.

“I had nipped upstairs as I was tidying up and heard an almighty bang,” said Linda.
    Apparently some fibs have been told, and exposed in the comments.

Birmingham woman's shock as e-cigarette explodes in its charger - Birmingham Mail

And Gluggles has his say ......

I always thought that journalists were trained to check their facts and do some research before publishing a story, but some seem to think that they can write about a subject that they know nothing about in the hope that their readers will know even less and not notice.

E-cigs are under a political threat, and there is no shortage of stories about them - the news is being checked, daily, by hundreds of e-cig users and campaigners - so the days of poor reporting on the subject going un-noticed are well and truly over.
    Gluggler's Blog: Another e-cig fire scare story.

Im starting to think there should be a ban on second rate reporters and papers that print this type of garbage. would love to see the paper get sued for misrepresenting the facts and implicating Kangar.
    Old Dog, Mathy and Aussie Vaper like this.

AVF Regular
    Wow i just love how they jump start the whole blame game, just did a google search on exploding iphone and most of those end up blaming the user or charging a damaged device, or using the wrong charger, it's never apples fault or phones in general, but with ecigs no it's the evil ecigs, makes me laugh.
    Aussie Vaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    I get more depressed about journalism every day. Researching and fact checking is hard, apparently.

People really need to be battery educated. Seriously. 90% of these "boom" stories, happen because either the gear is dodgy or the human left the charging battery unattended.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Not sure which one of these events prompted it but one of my collegues was telling me about one of these exploders the other day. I took the battery out of my provari and said that's the potential culprit just like remote control cars etc. told him mine was a Japanese battery though so top shelf and even more unlikely to cause me grief than the average remote control car. As I use mine at work I had an even more acute vested interest in putting his mind at ease.

It was a good opportunity for me to explain how they work at any rate.
    Aussie Vaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    I get more depressed about journalism every day. Researching and fact checking is hard, apparently.

People really need to be battery educated. Seriously. 90% of these "boom" stories, happen because either the gear is dodgy or the human left the charging battery unattended.

Why is it that only Personal Vape units (Ecig) cause mainstream paranoia. If lithium ecig battery's are so dangerous, what about this lot? Give these up people.

Colgate recalls Motion electric toothbrush after nine reports of the product exploding | National Post

Seen At 11: Exploding Cell Phones Pose A Serious Danger « CBS New York

Busting the Myth: Yes, Cell Phones Can Explode | Android Authority

Laptops Are Still Exploding

Battery exploded in flashlight
    margyb, Fatman, Rynxa and 5 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Robray,

This is why having a "normal" battery you can show people helps. They then see a battery like any other with the very limited risk inherent around using and charging them. An all in one while still only the battery poses the risk it's harder to explain that to people, that they don't contain ANFO or some other explosive component* hidden under the shell.

*other than the battery.
    Robray, Fatman and Aussie Vaper like this.

AVF Regular
    It's ignorance and stupidity. "Look everyone! 'e-cigs' aren't safe because this mouth breather can't handle a battery properly! Nevermind that this other fellow blew a hole in his car door with a smartphone" Idiocy trying to prove that vaping is still as dangerous as smoking.
    Robray, Fatman and spaceballsrules like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by tom32 View Post
    Robray,

This is why having a "normal" battery you can show people helps. They then see a battery like any other with the very limited risk inherent around using and charging them. An all in one while still only the battery poses the risk it's harder to explain that to people, that they don't contain ANFO or some other explosive component* hidden under the shell.

*other than the battery.

Yup I have to agree. The thing is very few if any consumer electronics have or use a normal battery. I am assuming you are referring to a removable battery here. I cant take the battery from my GPS, IPOD, etc and these are the batteries that are living on the edge, being left in hot cars. No, I don't believe showing a removable cell will cure the paranoia. Education and shooting some of the morons doubling as news reporters might.
    tom32, Fatman and Rynxa like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    This type of reporting is what misguidedly put me off e-cigs for a good 4-5 years... it was also first gen equipment as well though i suppose..