Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Ecigs in Tasmania ( recent news)

AVF Regular

Ecigs in Tasmania ( recent news)

Just posting this here
    A vendor in Hobart received this correspondence From The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) recently
    I will have to cut and paste
    Quote from vendor
    Attached is what DHHS gave me Wednesday saying it was media release.
    Copy
    What are electronic cigarettes?
    Electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes, are battery-operated products designed to replicate smoking behavior without the use of tobacco. Some look like conventional cigarettes, while others appear more like an electronic device.
    Some types of e-cigarettes are also marketed and sold (illegally) for the purposes of delivering the highly addictive chemical called nicotine that is present in all tobacco products. These types of e-cigarette are known as ENDS (electronic nicotine delivery systems), and there are concerns about their safety.

How do they work?
    E-cigarettes heat a replaceable cartridge that may or may not contain liquid nicotine and other chemicals. The heating process creates a mist that resembles tobacco smoke (referred to as vapour or vaping) which is inhaled by the user.

Are e-cigarettes legal to sell in Tasmania?
    Yes. E-cigarettes and their cartridges can be sold in Tasmania provided the cartridges do not contain nicotine. Anyone can sell e-cigarettes (without the nicotine liquid solution). You donít have to be a licensed tobacco retailer to sell e-cigarettes. However, e-cigarettes have not been evaluated for quality, safety or performance by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). If you wish to import or supply e-cigarettes as an aid to reducing dependence on nicotine, (e.g. as a therapeutic good) then you will need to become a product sponsor and make an application to the TGA. Your application will need to include evidence of the beneficial effects of electronic cigarettes.
    If the cartridges contain nicotine, it is a breach of the Tasmanian Poisons Act 1971. Nicotine containing cartridges are not approved by the TGA in Australia. Any retailer selling e- cigarette cartridges containing nicotine is breaking both state and commonwealth laws.

Are they an effective cessation aide?
    E-cigarettes have been proposed by some as a way to help people quit smoking. There are a number of current research projects looking into their efficacy as a cessation aide but at this point in time, there is a lack of evidence to support that they help people to quit smoking. In Australia, e-cigarettes have not been evaluated for quality, safety or performance by the TGA.

Are they safe to use?
    No. Consumers should be strongly advised NOT to use ENDS of any kind, including e- cigarettes as they are not regulated nor has their safety been scientifically demonstrated. This includes the contents of vapour emissions. The World Health Organization position is that consumers should not use e-cigarettes until they are deemed safe, effective and of acceptable quality by a national regulatory body. In Australia, no assessment of e-cigarettes has been undertaken and therefore, the quality and safety of e-cigarettes is not known.

Why are we concerned about e-cigarettes?
    The Australian Government is concerned about the use of e-cigarettes.
    There has been a dramatic rise in the marketing, availability and use of e-cigarettes in Tasmania. Concerns are predominantly around the nicotine content of some liquid cartridges. It is illegal for e-cigarettes to contain nicotine. Testing of products being sold in Tasmania indicates they are not all nicotine free which is a major concern.
    Other concerns include:  Variability in the amount and type of chemicals e-cigarettes deliver;  Leaking of chemicals  Marketing with implied health benefits that are unsubstantiated or based on
    inaccurate or misleading information;  Inconsistent labeling;  Glamorous packaging and advertising aimed at young people, potentially encouraging
    new smokers;  Normalisation of smoking behavior, particularly in areas required to be smoke free
    such as licensed venues;  Undermining support to quit smoking;  There is no research of the long term health effects of using e-cigarettes on users or
    passive smoking risks to other people in indoor environments.

Why is nicotine so dangerous?
    Nicotine is a prescribed dangerous poison under the Poisons Act, and it is an offence to manufacture, obtain, possess, sell or supply nicotine or products containing nicotine unless a permit has been issued by the relevant state or territory authority. Some e-cigarettes in Tasmania have been found to contain nicotine which is illegal. The scientific evidence suggests that e-cigarettes containing nicotine may be dangerous because they can deliver unreliable doses of nicotine.
    Nicotine is an addictive chemical that can be lethal in excessive amounts. High doses of nicotine can be absorbed through the skin as well by the lungs (from smoking) and the gastrointestinal tract (from swallowing). Particularly susceptible sub-groups of the population include children, adolescents, pregnant and breastfeeding women, people with heart conditions, and the elderly.
    Nicotine poisoning can result in a whole range of symptoms, If nicotine poisoning is suspected, call 000.

Are their risks for children?
    Yes. There is a significant risk of nicotine poisoning in children from the use of e-cigarettes that contain nicotine. A child of 30 kilos for example, would likely suffer acute nicotine poisoning which may result in death if they swallowed the contents of a nicotine cartridge of 24 mg. E-cigarette cartridges contain other potentially toxic chemicals, as well as nicotine, and for this reason they must be kept out of the reach of young children at all times. As there is no regulation of e-cigarettes, they do not contain warnings relating to nicotine content. Although nicotine has a bitter taste, some e-cigarette cartridges are flavoured with fruit or confectionary that can result in them being more enticing to children.

Who is responsible for enforcement?
    DHHS Pharmaceutical Branch is responsible for regulation of schedule 7 poisons which includes nicotine. Because e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco leaf, they are not a tobacco product regulated under the Public Health Act 1997. DHHS Tobacco Control is therefore unable to enforce breaches.

What should I do if I find nicotine-containing e-cigarettes for sale?
    If e-cigarette products containing nicotine are found for sale this should be reported to Pharmaceutical Services Branch on Ph 6233 2064 or by email to pharm.sevices@dhhs.tas.gov.au

What about products purchased over the internet?
    Products containing nicotine may not be legally purchased over the internet and imported into Tasmania. In Tasmania, along with a number of other states and territories, the obtaining and possession of nicotine without a permit is an offence.
    DHHS advises against purchasing nicotine free e-cigarettes over the internet as their quality and safety has not been assessed; and they can vary in the amount and type of chemicals that they deliver to the user.

Where can I get help to quit smoking?
    The DHHS encourages all smokers to quit smoking. Smokers can get help and support to quit smoking by contacting Quitline 13 78 48, quitnow - Welcome to the Quitnow Website or talking to their health professional.
    Old Dog likes this.

AVF Regular
    And also googled and found this which is similar for Tassie

http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/__data/as...ttes_Final.pdf
    Olfella likes this.

AVF Regular
    Note in the letter
    Who is responsible for enforcement ??
    Olfella and spud like this.

So essentially,

"We at the DHHS would prefer to let people who have failed to cease smoking using NRT and Cold Turkey methods to develop smoking related diseases and die prematurely, rather than enforce appropriate child-proof packaging and labeling of nicotine liquids".

They appear to be threatening imports, despite the Australian Federal Government's import scheme for unapproved therapeutics.
    margyb, Old Dog, lozza 82 and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    It is an offence in Tasmania, and other states and territories, to buy nicotine products over the internet and import them. It is also an offence to obtain and possess nicotine without a permit.

All it takes is someone with a big mouth and hidden agendas poking the bear to cause trouble for everyone else, not just in Tasmania but Australia wide. Australians have been known as a lot who sit back and cop what ever is handed to them by the authorities whether they like it or not - rarely is a fight put up. BUT, in regards to vaping, this is a time when vapers need to sit down, shut up and keep a low profile to wait and see what happens with overseas studies and overseas regulations. Having been on this forum for a while now, I can see that the majority of members here are doing just that, quietly working in the background gathering information ready for action, unlike 1 or 2 others who are incapable of pulling their heads in.

We are already aware of one member here who has been writing officious letters to government officials and proudly displaying those letters on AVF. This person is in Tasmania and is telling everyone on a lot of vaping forums that Australian legislation regarding nicotine is "jack ass" and proudly stating that he/she told DHS in Tasmania to come an arrest him/her for importing nicotine. This person is a troll on AVF, taking links and plastering them all over the internet insinuating that they have found these links themselves when in actual fact they have come from AVF's forum.

The vaping community Australia wide does not need a loose canon like this and the link above shows the trouble this person has already started and the reaction from the Government, local at the moment, when poked.

Sorry for the rant, but when this person joined AVF I could see exactly where it was going to go and while we all have the right to voice our opinions to whoever we want, I would prefer to be disassociated with what this person is doing because they are not helping the cause, their actions are selfish for many reasons and alot of their behaviour across the internet appears to be attention seeking. Pat yourself on the back you got some attention from a Government department in Tasmania.
    xALISAx, margyb, Old Dog and 9 others like this.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginar View Post
    It is an offence in Tasmania, and other states and territories, to buy nicotine products over the internet and import them. It is also an offence to obtain and possess nicotine without a permit.

All it takes is someone with a big mouth and hidden agendas poking the bear to cause trouble for everyone else, not just in Tasmania but Australia wide. Australians have been known as a lot who sit back and cop what ever is handed to them by the authorities whether they like it or not - rarely is a fight put up. BUT, in regards to vaping, this is a time when vapers need to sit down, shut up and keep a low profile to wait and see what happens with overseas studies and overseas regulations. Having been on this forum for a while now, I can see that the majority of members here are doing just that, quietly working in the background gathering information ready for action, unlike 1 or 2 others who are incapable of pulling their heads in.

We are already aware of one member here who has been writing officious letters to government officials and proudly displaying those letters on AVF. This person is in Tasmania and is telling everyone on a lot of vaping forums that Australian legislation regarding nicotine is "jack ass" and proudly stating that he/she told DHS in Tasmania to come an arrest him/her for importing nicotine. This person is a troll on AVF, taking links and plastering them all over the internet insinuating that they have found these links themselves when in actual fact they have come from AVF's forum.

The vaping community Australia wide does not need a loose canon like this and the link above shows the trouble this person has already started and the reaction from the Government, local at the moment, when poked.

Sorry for the rant, but when this person joined AVF I could see exactly where it was going to go and while we all have the right to voice our opinions to whoever we want, I would prefer to be disassociated with what this person is doing because they are not helping the cause, their actions are selfish for many reasons and alot of their behaviour across the internet appears to be attention seeking. Pat yourself on the back you got some attention from a Government department in Tasmania.
    I admit, in the first 6 months of vaping, I was extremely firey about ecigs, more so than today. But poking the bear was something that I never engaged in because I felt at the time that everything should be filtered through a person or organisation that knew more than I, namely ATACA and SAS. So I always kept my ranting contained to AVF.

I think the least that people who plan to contact officials can do, is write up their letter, post it up on AVF, and ask for advice before sending it. One person's letter can affect all of us. I think all official letters should be something that a whole group of people sign to before sending out.

AVF Regular
    I think it is time some of us visited our politicians and started to educate them
    I met with Andrew Wilkie (MP) with 3 other vapers and that meeting went well
    The government has already hired contractors to do a Regulatory Impact Statement on electronic cigarettes which should have been completed last year
    The bear is awake and we need to be prepared to fight

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    I think it is time some of us visited our politicians and started to educate them
    I met with Andrew Wilkie (MP) with 3 other vapers and that meeting went well
    The government has already hired contractors to do a Regulatory Impact Statement on electronic cigarettes which should have been completed last year
    The bear is awake and we need to be prepared to fight
    Margyb - I agree with you 100% but what we are now seeing in Tasmania is the result of one person's attention seeking behaviour. I mean FFS who rings the Government and says I am breaking your laws come and get me. That sort of behaviour will make it impossible for the vaping society to engage in a fair fight with any Government department.
    margyb, Olfella and spud like this.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginar View Post
    Margyb - I agree with you 100% but what we are now seeing in Tasmania is the result of one person's attention seeking behaviour. I mean FFS who rings the Government and says I am breaking your laws come and get me. That sort of behaviour will make it impossible for the vaping society to engage in a fair fight with any Government department.
    I agree since that person contacted DHHS with that letter there are now these fact sheets being distributed in Tas
    Also agree discussions on here before any letter being sent or meeting should be discussed and opinions sought

But not all vapers are part of AVF so we have no say in what other individuals are doing

A few months ago I thought there were only about 6 vapers in Hobart LOL

Now the grass root movement is spreading and quickly
    Ginar likes this.

As far as I'm aware there's actually two people down here poking the bear.

One is an over enthusiastic individual, the other a "company" with a "vested interest" in the reports coming out.
    Last edited by limbot; 11-02-14 at 12:29 PM.
    margyb likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast