Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Big Tobacco's power is working in Ohio - For the benefit of Vapers?

Big Tobacco's power is working in Ohio - For the benefit of Vapers?

E-cigarette bill passes House despite criticism | The Columbus Dispatch

"The Cancer Society has said that it did not become aware until recently that the bills were part of a nationwide push by the tobacco industry to avoid having the products taxed like regular cigarettes.

The Cancer Society says higher taxes are more effective at keeping tobacco products away from teenagers than laws restricting sales to youths."

If regulation must happen, on the surface this seems to be a good thing?.........could that really be the case?
    Noe, Old Dog, Rynxa and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Yes and no.
    I mean, yay big money fighting the higher taxation on vaping. Sin taxes should be equal to the sin.

On the other side, what happens a little later? When they start trying to regulate refillable carts/atties/clearos and juice in bottle form, like they tried to do in the EU? Whose side do you think the tobacco money is gonna fall on there? That's the risk we're running putting any faith in BT.
    spud and Donna like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Lorillard is also apparently challenging the FDA decisions in court, let's face it even if all the e-cig vendors got together, they wouldn't have the same kind of $ to throw at lawyers, that is needed to fight government agencies.

The only downside I see to this is if Lorillard, do some kind of backdoor deal to get approval for cigalikes (which it sells under the brand Blu) but leaves gen 2 & 3 PVs or refillable juice devices on the banned list.
    I'm not saying it will happen but it quite possibly could, we all know how BT fought to keep market share & advertising etc with cancer sticks.

I'm glad that they are fighting in favor of vaping but thinking cautiously at the same time.
    Olfella, spud and Donna like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Given their history, I'm very suspicious of BT. Overall I'd rather they just went away.....wishful thinking I know.
    Donna and Rossco like this.

I think i'm missing something Noe, which FDA decision?

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I think i'm missing something Noe, which FDA decision?
    If, you're not listening to Russ's show, you're missing a lot of what is happening in the world of vaping. This program from 2 months ago will explain it better than I can: https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/what-...ll-happened-at
    Rynxa, spud, Bobthebuilder and 1 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    Im with you on this Noe.
    If i remember correctly from listening to "click bang" A couple of years ago ex-pat Aussie ceo of Blu was advocating for nicotine liquids to be safely contained in pre-filled carts. Under the umbrella of consumer safety.
    This would be a terrible outcome for how i use nicotine liquid. If availability of liquids reduced to pre-filled carts i would go back to smoking or quit everything. I wouldn't be vaping any longer, it would be too expensive unless new pre-filled products became available at reasonable costs. Maybe pre-filled/sealed vivi novas for example.
    Noe, spud, Bobthebuilder and 1 others like this.
    The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism - Norman Vincent Peale

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    If, you're not listening to Russ's show, you're missing a lot of what is happening in the world of vaping. This program from 2 months ago will explain it better than I can: https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/what-...ll-happened-at
    I've been so busy with work (yay it's slowed a bit now) I totally forgot about Russ's show. Listening now while I make some graphics Thanks for the reminder.
    Noe and Bobthebuilder like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by Australis View Post
    Im with you on this Noe.
    If i remember correctly from listening to "click bang" A couple of years ago ex-pat Aussie ceo of Blu was advocating for nicotine liquids to be safely contained in pre-filled carts. Under the umbrella of consumer safety.
    This would be a terrible outcome for how i use nicotine liquid. If availability of liquids reduced to pre-filled carts i would go back to smoking or quit everything. I wouldn't be vaping any longer, it would be too expensive unless new pre-filled products became available at reasonable costs. Maybe pre-filled/sealed vivi novas for example.
    That is exactly the market that BT really wants, one it can control, so that every purchase is sending them profits.
    Obviously it is not what the majority of vapers want, we want choice, we want to keep the great range of options we now enjoy but that is not what we'll get if we aren't vigilant & keep informed.
    BT stepping up to fight for vaping is great but let's not be fooled into thinking it is an altruistic move, every battle that BT wins for vaping should be looked at as an incomplete win, they will only push for their own agenda, that is where we (all vapers everywhere) need to be careful.
    We need to ride on BT's shirt tails & push for the rest of the way forward, ensuring that the win isn't hollow, that it doesn't just suit BT's agenda, that vaping in all its forms is given the same outcome.

Lately I've noticed some lesser experienced vapers in Aus., think it is a good idea to "poke the sleeping bear" in our Govt. but this is not going to achieve much & if it does it likely won't be good, at least in the short term.
    Regulation will come eventually, changes to how we get access to juice etc. but the battle to be fought isn't here in Aus., at least not yet.
    The battle is being fought in the UK, Europe, the USA, the Aus. Govt. is not going to make a move until those battles are fought or at least until a predictable outcome is in sight, all you have to do is look back at our Govt.'s history with similar things & it is reasonably easy to predict what it will do. It will wait until other Western countries have made decisions, assess those decisions & implement similar regs, with a few minor changes to make it specific to Aus.
    Our main fight isn't on our own soil, it's in the US & Europe, we need to be supporting vapers in those places to win our battle here.
    Last edited by Noe; 18-02-14 at 03:32 AM.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    What gets me about all this is that a lot of trouble seems to be gone to, to make the hip pocket responsible for smoking uptake. Still.

The price of cigs in the US compared to here is chickenfeed, and the way I see it, those who really want to smoke, find a way to pay.
    They're going about it all wrong, with a strategy that doesn't work in the first place.
    spud, Bobthebuilder, Donna and 1 others like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast