Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Interview/information session with Robert Cavallucci (MP for Brisbane Central)

Cool Interview/information session with Robert Cavallucci (MP for Brisbane Central)

So I had a bit of a shock today, I was on break at work and my phone rang. Surprise surprise, the person on the other end of the phone is Luke Barnes, Mr Cavalluccis' personal assistant, calling me back to confirm an interview next month in reply to an email I sent about a week ago asking if he would like to learn a little bit more about electronic cigarettes. Naturally I was pretty gobsmacked, I've emailed Teresa Gambaro 3 or 4 times asking the same thing and only getting the automated response with no follow up, so I sort of expected the same from Robert. I'm pretty ecstatic about getting a chance to give an mp some non-bigT/P opinions and information, but I'm also really nervous at the same time. I don't want to mess this up. I'm going to write a basic "lesson plan" to cover all the different areas that I think he needs info on like safety for starters, the impact that certain regulations would have on the industry, some studies from vape-advocates and maybe some awesome testimonials? I've got a few weeks to put everything together but I want to know what information YOU guys think that I need to include.

This is a pretty big step for me, I'm a salesman, not a politician.
    Also, should I be recording the interview? Should I mention the Vapers Assoc? DIRECT ME!!!!!!?!?!!!?
    margyb, Old Dog, lozza 82 and 7 others like this.

Politicians are salesmen as well, now's your chance to sell to a politician all the good stuff, I'm sure you'll have lots of idea's thrown your way
    DanGibson and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Hi Dan
    Great that you have an appointment to see an MP
    Is it possible to find another vaper ( or more ) in your area to take along with you as back up?

I think the main thing is to explain how ecigs work and the fact that they are a much safer alternative to smoking
    When Jessamine and DishD and I went to see Andrew Wilkie we took along all the latest research and also all the testimonials from vapers that had quit smoking

You would have to ask permission to record the interview

I will try and find the links re Andrew Wilkies appointment

Docs for Andrew Wilkie meeting Hobart 1st August

E-cigarette / Personal Vapouriser Testimonials for Andrew Wilkie

Testimonials for Aussie Vapers members to take to Andrew Wilkie MP

Andrew Wilkie meeting outcome
    Last edited by margyb; 20-02-14 at 10:08 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DanGibson View Post
    So I had a bit of a shock today, I was on break at work and my phone rang. Surprise surprise, the person on the other end of the phone is Luke Barnes, Mr Cavalluccis' personal assistant, calling me back to confirm an interview next month in reply to an email I sent about a week ago asking if he would like to learn a little bit more about electronic cigarettes. Naturally I was pretty gobsmacked, I've emailed Teresa Gambaro 3 or 4 times asking the same thing and only getting the automated response with no follow up, so I sort of expected the same from Robert. I'm pretty ecstatic about getting a chance to give an mp some non-bigT/P opinions and information, but I'm also really nervous at the same time. I don't want to mess this up. I'm going to write a basic "lesson plan" to cover all the different areas that I think he needs info on like safety for starters, the impact that certain regulations would have on the industry, some studies from vape-advocates and maybe some awesome testimonials? I've got a few weeks to put everything together but I want to know what information YOU guys think that I need to include.

This is a pretty big step for me, I'm a salesman, not a politician.
    Also, should I be recording the interview? Should I mention the Vapers Assoc? DIRECT ME!!!!!!?!?!!!?

Hey if your on brissie vapers fbook page dan and want some help put a call up on there where the brissie guys are more likely to see it
    margyb and DanGibson like this.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

Well done Dan. If they haven't told you already, maybe you could speak to his PA and find out what specifically he is interested in finding out about vaping. This may enable you to be more prepared for the meeting. Also, this might mean you can email some information prior to the meeting so he has a chance to go over it and you are not walking in with a plethora of paperwork that may go unread. I think even politicians like electronic format nowadays.

Also, I would think about some questions you may wish to ask him. Maybe "can you explain the relationship between the state and federal governments on ecigarette regulation?" "do you see the current situation of state by state regulation continuing?"

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!
    DanGibson likes this.

I've just sent a join request for the brisbane vapers page, I'll ask them if there's anything they think I should convey during the interview as well. My main concern is giving Mr Cavallucci everything he needs to make an informed and logical conclusion, I really want an actual member supporting us. I don't want to taint everything with my own opinion though, we all know what that leads to, so atm I think I'm going to focus on safety concerns with hardware and juice.

would also focus on the benefits of vaping so e.g. when marg and co visited andrew wilke, she as someone with copd could explain what it has meant for her health to give up smoking. take lots of stories along in printed format because this is an emotional issue for us and our health. I would also mention that its opponents are big p etc who have a vested interest in stopping the uptake of ecigs but ecigs are better than anything they offer smokers. Theres lots of articles online into the research etc which is very compelling. I think you need to provide info that a sane person could look at and think why the hell isnt this being encouraged?
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 20-02-14 at 08:25 PM. Reason: wrote big t instead of big p
    margyb, Jessamine and DanGibson like this.

If you are looking for personal testimonials, I can certainly PM you mine, even though I've only been smoke free for a few days.
    DanGibson likes this.
    Being a mumma, Tattoos, Piercings and now vaping are my thing!

"Bipolar disorder can be a great teacher. It's a challenge, but it can set you up to be able to do almost anything else in your life." - CARRIE FISHER

Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    would also focus on the benefits of vaping so e.g. when marg and co visited andrew wilke, she as someone with copd could explain what it has meant for her health to give up smoking. take lots of stories along in printed format because this is an emotional issue for us and our health. I would also mention that its opponents are big t etc who have a vested interest in stopping the uptake of ecigs but ecigs are better than anything they offer smokers. Theres lots of articles online into the research etc which is very compelling. I think you need to provide info that a sane person could look at and think why the hell isnt this being encouraged?
    That's a really good point, I'll have to do a header with some points about benefits. My only issue with talking about bigt/p is coming off as the paranoid tinfoil hat guy. I can't mess this up. This is a big deal.
    Gresh11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HoleyMumma View Post
    If you are looking for personal testimonials, I can certainly PM you mine, even though I've only been smoke free for a few days.
    I think my inbox would be preeeeeetty full if everyone did that!
    You should definitely put your story in this thread that margy linked before: Testimonials for Aussie Vapers members to take to Andrew Wilkie MP

If I'm allowed I wouldn't mind printing out a few pages from that thread for the meeting, but testimonials are more of a confirmation of the information that I'll be giving him as opposed to being a full on subject themselves. If that makes sense to anyone but me?
    Lots of homework over the next couple weeks for Danny I think.
    margyb, Fatman, vaping_gal and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast