Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mathy
  • 1 Post By Mathy
  • 1 Post By rebelagainstthemachine

Thread: Ecigs: the current issue in the EU is the new TPD.

AVF Regular

Ecigs: the current issue in the EU is the new TPD.

This was posted by Chris Price (from E-Cigarette Politics) on e-cigarettes-and-vaping-good-thing-or-bad-thing

Pretty grim outlook from a guy who seems to get predictions correct, things are heating up Ö..

Ecigs: the current issue in the EU is the new TPD.

Pharmaceutical licensing was rejected, which is not really important since it is always and without exception overturned by the courts when challenged - so it wouldn't have lasted long.

Plan B is tobacco product classification, and the intention of the new TPD rewrite is to allow the total elimination of ecigs by stages (as it has always been). It looks as if the current TPD, if it passes through every stage, will eliminate about 75% of ecig products fairly soon, especially those that work - leaving obsolete products that are inefficient and ineffective for many smokers. It will also prevent any new technology being introduced, so that the current state of the technology will be fossilised.

However, if interpreted as strictly as possible (as all EU law is in the UK - especially when to do so will massively benefit ecig's commercial rivals such as the cigarette and pharmaceutical industries), then we can expect that all ecig hardware will be prohibited. This is because a requirement of the TPD is that a device must deliver a consistent dose of nicotine. Since this is a medicinal requirement and has nothing whatsoever to do with consumer products, it would probably be difficult to comply with; and when we look closely we find it is impossible to comply with. Thus, all ecigs can be eliminated (which is what the TPD is designed to do in any case).

My personal belief has always been that a tobacco product classification was the principal aim all along, because medical classification is impossible to maintain at law. This allows a 100% ban just as efficiently, although it cannot be achieved overnight in the same way that a medical classification allows. It will take a year or two after implementation, before the government have received their exact instructions from the pharmaceutical and tobacco industries on how to proceed against the ecig vendors; then the noose can gradually be tightened.

Of course all this is irrelevant in the long term because the black market will take over for the supply of safe, effective and affordable products. It may be the first time in history that the population will have to go to the black market for safer products to help them stay alive and healthy instead of the opposite. And no doubt eventually there will be a voting bloc of several million people who object to being forced to smoke by the government and object to the incompetence and corruption that rules public health.

People need to realise that the UK and especially EU governments work for established industries and government revenues, not public health. Your health is utterly irrelevant to them when there is a financial conflict. The Department of Health will always and without exception protect and promote the pharmaceutical industry and its profits, even when there is a massive conflict with public health. The five million preventable deaths Prof Britton talks about are, in the final analysis, a fantasy: each one is worth thousands of pounds to pharma and they will do whatever is necessary to protect that income. Sorry, but your health is not a consideration on pharma's balance sheet.

AVF Regular
    Hmph .. lucky in Australia no one really knows about ecigs or snus outside of today tonight shows.. so we wont feel it for a quite whilst
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Forewarned is forearmed

AVF Regular
    Thats always been my philosophy... Sadly not everyones .. oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    Forewarned is forearmed
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."

AVF Regular
    Aaaah, but think of the smokers

AVF Regular
    ROFL Mathy Have you not heard .. "There is no society" ! Only individuals ... Lol nope will hold my tongue in this for now.. but lets hope people realise that society is a group of people made out of individauls .. we need eachother and should help eachother and one of the first steps is getting beyond politics educating the public .. but well see ... without certain support to do that am not sure it can occur.. now I hope I am wrong

Curse you lol Mathy getting my blood pressure up and toungue wagging am leaving the thread now

Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    Aaaah, but think of the smokers
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    A lot of vapers are of the 'older' generation. How many women amongst them remember when they didn't get equal pay for equal work and, had to quit a job if they got married? I do. There's probably plenty of expertise, in turning individuals into a community and prepared to be active in fighting for what they want, lying around in this forum