Morning upsetting news - EU Tough Rules on E Cig

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/bu...igarettes.html

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    European Union Approves Tough Rules on Electronic Cigarettes

The European Parliament adopted rules requiring electronic cigarettes to carry health warnings and be childproof.

CHARLES PLATIAU / REUTERS
    By DAVID JOLLY
    February 26, 2014

The European Parliament on Wednesday approved rules that will for the first time regulate Europe’s fast-growing market for electronic cigarettes.

Beginning in mid-2016, advertising for e-cigarettes is to be banned in the 28 nations of the European Union, as it already is for ordinary tobacco products. E-cigarettes will be required to carry health warnings, and must be childproof. The amount of nicotine will be limited to 20 milligrams per milliliter, similar to ordinary cigarettes.

The e-cigarette regulation was part of an overhaul of European Union tobacco law that Parliament, meeting in Strasbourg, France, voted overwhelmingly to adopt, by a margin of 500-63, with 60 abstentions.

The vote ratified an agreement reached in December between Parliament and member states to update tobacco rules that have been in place since 2001.

To become law, the tobacco legislation now awaits only the final imprimatur of member states, something that appears to be all but certain.

The rules adopted on Wednesday go further than United States laws, by requiring that the top 65 percent of all cigarette packs be covered with health warnings and warning pictures of things like diseased lungs.

They ban all cigarette-themed products that are specifically aimed at children, like chocolate cigarettes, and cigarettes that come in packages designed to look like lipstick or perfume containers. Menthol cigarettes are also to be prohibited, after a four-year delay. But the new rules stop short of an earlier proposal to regulate e-cigarettes as medical devices.

“This is a victory,” said Linda McAvan, the British Labour party member who guided the legislation through the Parliament. “The original proposal was stricter, and I would have voted for that, but the new law is anyway a huge step forward in tobacco control.”

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

“This was a very bad agreement,” said Martin Callanan, a British Conservative Party politician who said he opposed e-cigarette regulation on the ground that the products help people stop smoking. “It’s a massive loss for public health in Europe.”

I am pleased to see this comment!

Thanks for the post

I quit smoking at 8.00pm on 22 August 2013 and started vaping immediately after

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ShootingStar View Post
    “This was a very bad agreement,” said Martin Callanan, a British Conservative Party politician who said he opposed e-cigarette regulation on the ground that the products help people stop smoking. “It’s a massive loss for public health in Europe.”

I am pleased to see this comment!

Thanks for the post
    Yes, and the keywords there are 'public health'.. Compare that with Linda McAvan's comment;

“This is a victory,” said Linda McAvan, the British Labour party member who guided the legislation through the Parliament. “The original proposal was stricter, and I would have voted for that, but the new law is anyway a huge step forward in tobacco control.”
    Keyword here, 'control'.

It's also ironic that she bids to control tobacco consumption (the long forgotten goal being public health), and e-cigs are the greatest option for reducing the consumption of tobacco we have.

It's utterly insane.
    GirlyPantz, essiemessy and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Yep. Bloody bonkers.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    a huge step forward in tobacco control
    frickin' frackin' frockin' dumb feckers. why can't they get it through their stupid, thick, ignorant, cretinous skulls that there is no tobacco in electronic cigarettes??????
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    frickin' frackin' frockin' dumb feckers. why can't they get it through their stupid, thick, ignorant, cretinous skulls that there is no tobacco in electronic cigarettes??????
    Nicotine is dervied from tobacco.

That's without getting into NET e-liquids and steeps.

AVF Regular
    pfft! and you think that justifies their position? pfft! double pfft!! triple pfft!!! their Pathetic Obstinate Ludicrous Idiotic Tawdry Intractable Cretinous Authoritarian Ludicrous actions appall me.
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Updated info post: TPD – provisions relating to e-cigarettes The counterfactual

Updated 26 February 2014. The European Parliament has just voted through an amended text as polished up by lawyers and linguists. The e-cigarette relevant text below has been brought into line with the official current text of the Tobacco Products Directive as voted by European Parliament today.

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    pfft! and you think that justifies their position? pfft! double pfft!! triple pfft!!! their Pathetic Obstinate Ludicrous Idiotic Tawdry Intractable Cretinous Authoritarian Ludicrous actions appall me.

Ummm. Yeah, it does, nicotine is a tobacco product.
    No one has proven ecigs are safe long term.

You want to see something interesting?
    Get all the male vapers to have a testosterone test.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast