Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By mavinry4
  • 4 Post By Fractal
  • 2 Post By disley

Thread: NewScientist Article: Europe's law on e-cigarettes sets global benchmark

Europe's law on e-cigarettes sets global benchmark

This article explains the problems with the European regulations on ecigs very concisely and in good detail.

The nicotine in e-cigarettes will also be restricted to 20 milligrams per millilitre of propylene glycol [nicotine], a strength that scientists say is too weak for the 30 per cent of vapers who prefer higher concentrations. In a letter of complaint last month to the regulators, scientists said that this might deter heavy smokers from switching to e-cigarettes and pointed out that concentrations containing 50 milligrams would more closely match the typical intake from real cigarettes.

Read full article here: Europe's law on e-cigarettes sets global benchmark - health - 27 February 2014 - New Scientist

Court cases to come. I'm not sure if they are going to happen before or after the leglisations are enacted. Interesting times ahead.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 01-03-14 at 12:31 AM.

AVF Regular
    new scientist are crack pots though

not a dig, but not a good source
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    new scientist are crack pots though

not a dig, but not a good source
    New Scientist is not crackpot, on what basis do you make them so?

AVF Regular
    I don't mind a bit of the ol' New Scientist. It's the magazine I would most want to be stuck with in a dentist's waiting room, anyway . It doesn't tell me my house and garden look like crap, my car is old and slow, or I'm fat, dull, dress like a dork and lead a boring life, and there's usually something interesting in there (even if it's just pop-science journalism for the layman).

That's not a bad article for a mainstream media source. It's very "here's what's happening - and scientists don't agree with it". And they took their 'obligatory expert' soundbite from Clive Bates as opposed to the usual ANTZ. All in all, I think it's pretty decent, if a bit scant on the details (would have liked to have seen some scientists names mentioned in the article).

Or maybe I'm just being soft on NS 'cause I used to read it religiously as a teenager, I don't know . Great to see they aren't taking the anti-ecig line though.
    Last edited by Fractal; 01-03-14 at 01:14 AM.
    mavinry4, studiovape, spud and 1 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    it's a fun to read tabloid fractal, just not a credible one
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    it's a fun to read tabloid fractal, just not a credible one
    Wut?
    New Scientist is a well respected scientific journal.

AVF Regular
    New Eu bs coming out most days.
    Something solid must be due soon.
    Vape on

AVF Regular
    I don't know why they've included vaping in their crusade against tobacco.
    What has pg and vg to do with tobacco?
    Even if it contains nicotine, it's not a carcinogen.

European Commission

MEMO

Brussels, 26 February 2014

Questions & Answers: New rules for tobacco products
    Firstly, new scientific evidence has emerged, for example on tobacco flavourings and on the effectiveness of health warnings.
    Tobacco not pg/vg

Secondly, new products, such as electronic cigarettes and strongly flavoured tobacco products have emerged on the market.
    Why are they linking two totally different products, nicotine, pg and vg are not tobacco products.

Thirdly, there have been developments at international level over the past decade, to which EU Member States have responded with different regulatory approaches. The EU and all Member States are parties to the legally binding WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), which entered into force in February 2005.
    Why include nicotine, pg/vg in a tobacco bill, and a convention on tobacco control?

One of the most compelling reasons to strengthen the rules on tobacco products is the negative impact of tobacco consumption on people's health. Tobacco use is responsible for an estimated 700 000 avoidable deaths in the EU every year. The vast majority of smokers start when they are very young 70% before their 18th birthday and 94% before the age of 25. The new Directive aims to make tobacco products and tobacco consumption less attractive in the EU, in particular for young people.
    Again it's about tobacco.
    They're trying to say vaping fluid is a health hazard, and can be compared to tobacco.
    Any lawyer can rip that reasoning apart.
    Where's the scientific proof to link the use of ejuice, and the damage caused by burning and inhaling tobacco leaf?
    spud and kaktus1970 like this.