• 9 Post By mrsgruffy
  • 2 Post By JenJ
  • 1 Post By mrsgruffy

Thread: Brilliant nicotine user letters to officials

Retired Account

Brilliant nicotine user letters to officials

Post examples if you find them!

Dear Ms Mcavan,

I appreciate that you are extremely busy at present, and apologise that I am taking up what little free time you have with this email, but I really do feel after today’s events compelled to write this email.

Let me just explain about myself a bit, I am a father of 2 teenage kids, who works hard, and has never apologised for being fiercely patriotic of this country. I have always been proud of my heritage and had complete unadulterated faith in both the legal and political system of this country. Even at times when I have questioned the faith of humanity in barbaric situations that I have experienced first hand, this had never waivered. I stood strong, tall and ultimately proud to represent this fine country, but today you have led the destruction of that pride and everything that I felt I believed in. In one fell swoop, you have destroyed my foundation of that belief.

I had one serious weakness, Superman had Kryptonite, Batman had The Joker, Tom had Jerry, and mine was Tobacco….or so I thought. I found electronic cigarettes some 13 months ago, and decided after many unsuccessful attempts at giving up Tobacco, I would give this a go. Overnight, I found whilst Tobacco was my nemesis, it was beatable. Yes, I agree Tobacco is bad, there is clinical evidence to prove that, and that was the reason why I wanted to quit. I wanted to see my kids grow up, get married, become a Grandfather, and become a right royal pain in the backside when I get old as payback for all the hassle they caused me! For the first time in my adult life, I could see that happening, and now its seems like just a dream. I also understand that I was not addicted to the Tobacco, but to the nicotine, and there can be absolutely no argument that e-liquid is safer to tobacco. It might be 1% safer or 99% safer, to me it really does not matter its SAFER! The best analogy I can put is ‘Every time I smoked a cigarette I felt I was playing Russian roulette, every time I vape, I feel like I am playing Russian roulette……..but with blanks!’

I am not alone in my thinking, I feel that 1.7 million people will feel tonight the same as I do, and whilst I cannot talk for them, I can tell you, I feel let down, disappointed and ‘just a pawn in the political genocide of a generation.’ I will no doubt go back to Tobacco in 2016, and the ticking time-bomb starts again. Now I really do not expect a reply, as I am not in your constituency, but please, the next time someone congratulates you on your success with this directive, just think about this email and the other 1.7 million people that have been let down, and after 2016, when you look at the figures of people that have died from smoking related diseases, then maybe, I will be one of those statistics. After all you have been Judge……Jury and……. in 2016, the EXECUTIONER!
    Addressed to Linda Macavan, MEP for Yorkshire and Humberside
    margyb, mavinry4, lozza 82 and 6 others like this.

Retired Account
    Does anyone have a copy of our Rose's wonderful letter? I went looking but can't find it

AVF Regular
    margyb and mrsgruffy like this.

Retired Account
    Rose's reply to Terry Slevin, Cancer council WA

Dear Terry,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my somewhat volatile letter, which I sent in an angry frame of mind via a web form in the general direction of someone at the Cancer Council of WA on 30/10/13. It is very considerate of you to reply to me personally and politely. This really is such an important issue for us all, and rational discussion is paramount. I wish to address the points raised in your email, hopefully in a less combative tone than in my first email.

I will begin by pointing out the most curious omission in your response. Not once have you mentioned the word “cancer” in relation to e-cigarettes. Given that the CCWA's own mission statement is “to minimise the incidence and impact of cancer on our community through advocacy, research, education” why would the organisation wish to see any product banned which has not been linked to cancer? Especially a product which is showing such stunning potential as a gateway out of smoking, the biggest single cause of cancer in the world? This fact alone should be enough to steady the hand of any organisation committed to the minimisation of cancer. Nonetheless, I will address your remaining contentions. Let's just say the CCWA would be wise to honour its own commitment to “research” before taking such a reactive leap.

To continue....

Dear Mary

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail me in response to the article published in The West Australian on October 30 concerning e-cigarettes, and for sharing your quit journey with me.

When we did our review of the literature around e-cigarettes two distinct, but separate issues has arisen that concern us.

The first of these is the use of e-cigarettes as a smoking cessation tool.

This is the first common misunderstanding. E-cigarettes are not a smoking cessation tool. They are an alternative to smoking, and a recreational product. Many of us who use them have no intention of giving them up, and given that nicotine has a similar effect on human health as caffeine and has never been linked to cancer, there is no critical need to. It is interesting to note however, the increasing anecdotal evidence that many users find themselves lowering their nicotine over time because they find they are less dependent on it. Perhaps this is because e-cigarettes do not contain the ammonia that tobacco companies add to traditional cigarettes which is believed to potentiate the effects of the nicotine (and other chemicals), making them more addictive.

Cancer Council WA calls for a continuing ban of e-cigarettes in line with what is currently imposed by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). Please see attached a summary of the issue of e-cigarettes from the TGA website - with information dated 12 March 2013.

The TGA, according to its own website “is responsible for regulating therapeutic goods including medicines, medical devices, blood and blood products”. It has no mandate to advise on policy regarding recreational products. Caffeine, when sold in coffee or cola does not fall under TGA guidelines, but when it is an ingredient of an item being sold as a therapeutic product (eg. some herbal preparations) it does. Similarly, nicotine when sold in cigarettes is not within the TGA's scope of control, but when sold in therapeutic products which are marketed as quit aids, such as Nicabate patches, it is. E-cigarettes, as I have already stated, are an alternative to cigarettes, not patches (or gum, lozenges etc). Nicotine is not medicine. It doesn't treat or prevent any diseases. Those of us who use it via e-cigarettes are not sick. We enjoy it, just as we may also enjoy wine or coffee. It is worth noting that attempts to regulate e-cigarettes as medicines have failed recently in several European courts, just as the FDA also failed the same attempt in the U.S. Federal Court. The TGA's stance on e-cigarettes is tenuous, to say the least, and of no legal relevance to the recreational use of nicotine.

While there may be anecdotal evidence that e-cigarettes may have assisted some smokers like you in their smoking cessation endeavours, there is a lack of broad scale, population level data on their efficacy as smoking cessation tools.

Forgiving the continued wrong assumption that e-cigarettes are smoking cessation tools rather than a safer alternative to smoking, there is in fact plenty of evidence that smokers are making the “switch” (a more appropriate term) to e-cigarettes in their millions and with great enthusiasm across the globe. In the U.K. alone the number of users has swelled to 1.3 million currently, from just a few hundred in 2009. There are presently estimated to be 7 million e-cigarette users across Europe, and over 4 million in the USA. Wells Fargo Securities, has estimated Reynolds (makers of Camel and Pall Mall) will have $4 billion in revenue from e-cigs in 2021 compared with $3.9 billion from conventional cigarettes. The internet is seething with products and information, weblogs, forums, youtube channels and passionate testimonials. Those of us who use these products generally experience a profound gnosis that the era of smoking tobacco is coming to an end. Ecigs are to smoking what the motor car was to the horse and buggy. If I may be a little tongue-in-cheek here, an organisation such as a Cancer Council failing to notice the current storming of the tobacco market by e-cigarettes, is like the Australian Bureau of Meteorology failing to notice the formation of a Category 5 cyclone just off the coast of Queensland.

I can only assume that your information thus far is limited to the recent study in New Zealand which showed that the ecigs their participants used (now obsolete 1st generation “cigalikes”) were only slightly more effective than nicotine patches. The anecdotal evidence vociferously supports these findings. The batteries of the small cigalikes produce low wattage and therefore only a small amount of vapour. They generate insufficient power to properly replicate the sensation of cigarette smoke, which requires a satisfying “throat hit” as well as “lung fill” to be effective. If I were personally restricted to the use of products such as these I would eventually go back to smoking. I did, however, begin my journey in to “vaping” with a small cigalike. Anecdotal evidence suggests the majority of us do. But like many others I needed a more powerful battery to generate an effective amount of vapour and moved on to the larger 2nd generation ecigs, or “personal vapourisers”. From there it has been plain sailing. I have learned that my own personal ideal level of vapour production and flavour is produced by 10 watts of power. So far, there have been no studies into the efficacy of these remarkable devices, and these are the devices that are enabling smokers to switch to a safer alternative in staggering numbers.

In the meanwhile there are a range of nicotine replacement options available for smokers wishing to quit. These come with a substantial body of evidence to guide choices about their use, both in terms of benefits and weaknesses.

This is quite a faux pas, from someone who must be well aware of the ineffectiveness of these products, which have a 95% failure rate. It is somewhat cruel (though I know it is not intentional) to push smokers toward these products, when the evidence shows that overwhelmingly, most will return to smoking. There is no need for the 20th century “quit or die” mentality to persist in the light of this wonderful new technology. Harm minimisation must become the new mantra of the public health establishment. It's the only thing that works. Sweden is a perfect example of this, where the use of snus is prevalent. Sweden, as I'm sure you know, has half the lung cancer rate of the rest of Europe, and the life expectancy of ex-smokers who use snus is virtually the same as of those who quit nicotine entirely.
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 01-03-14 at 11:27 AM.
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    What Are the UK vaping forums doing about trying to replace Linda MacAvan as the member of the European Parliament?

AVF Regular
    Fielding their own candidate is my understanding
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    What Are the UK vaping forums doing about trying to replace Linda MacAvan as the member of the European Parliament?