Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Supporting patients to be smokefree ( Victoria)

AVF Regular

Supporting patients to be smokefree ( Victoria)

Just saw this ( found it on the quit victoria twitter site) https://twitter.com/quitvic
    Wonder if the record low data of 13.3% of now smokers has anything to do with vaping uptake
    Makes me sick them spending millions on crap like that
    and this I find hard to believe
    There is evidence that brief advice from a health professional, lasting as little as a few minutes, can be highly effective in motivating people to quit smoking. The quit rate is improved further by the provision of cessation therapies,” Mr Davis said.

Supporting patients to be smokefree - Premier of Victoria

Mr Davis said this pilot program builds on the Coalition Government’s strong action to protect the Victorian community from tobacco-related harm.
    “We invest millions each year to support quit smoking programs, anti-smoking advertising, education and enforcement activities,” Mr Davis said.
    Since coming to office the Coalition Government has:
    banned smoking at public outdoor playgrounds, skate parks, swimming pool complexes and, during underage sporting events, sporting venues, commencing 1 April 2014;
    banned smoking between the flags at patrolled beaches;
    implemented a ban on the display of tobacco products at point of sale;
    banned the sale of fruit flavoured rolling papers, cigar wraps and cigarillos;
    amended legislation to enable prosecution of people who smoke in cars with children;
    excluded loyalty programs from rewarding the purchase of tobacco;
    announced a ban on smoking in prisons, commencing 1 July 2015;
    and announced a ban on smoking on railway and tram platforms extending beyond the current ban in undercover areas, to take effect on 1 March 2014.
    “Smoking rates in Victoria have fallen to a record low with data from the Cancer Council Victoria showing only 13.3 per cent of Victorians are now regular smokers, compared with 21.2 per cent in 1998,” Mr Davis said.
    “The continuing decline in smoking shows that the State's investment in tobacco control is paying dividends in reducing the harm caused by tobacco.”
    Last edited by margyb; 02-03-14 at 08:26 PM.

I'd like to know how they come up with their stats, could it be that with all the demonisation of smokers, that its only 13.3 percent of people that will openly admit to being a smoker????

BTW, good luck to them banning smoking in prisons, be interesting to see how that goes.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Thats nice.. oh hows the cannabis debate going these days? Admittedly I havent kept up.... I notice the bong shop and others like it seem to be putting along ok with np ... something about it being legalised in some states in the US or something... ?
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 02-03-14 at 08:41 PM.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    I just accidently found that link while trying to find quit stories with ecigs For the quit vic site

Dont reckon they will be wanting ecig quit stories

AVF Regular
    Not correct, Donna and another member from this site had their vaping stories published on Quit Victoria. If you have a Twitter A/c, then get stuck into them. I did, suggested they only needed to google "e-cigs farsalinos" to find some decent references.

Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    I just accidently found that link while trying to find quit stories with ecigs For the quit vic site

AVF Regular
    I reckon like it or not they should have them and be blasted with more then they can handle.. So they are aware that some know of thier hypocrasy ... but it is ironic dont you think that ecigs for smokers are in more deep doo doo whilst cannibis is gaining more leeway internationally.. and cannibis is not exactly harmless from what I read

Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post

"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    I reckon like it or not they should have them and be blasted with more then they can handle.. So they are aware that some know of thier hypocrasy ... but it is ironic dont you think that ecigs for smokers are in more deep doo doo whilst cannibis is gaining more leeway internationally.. and cannibis is not exactly harmless from what I read
    i think that is partly killing the drug culture with cannibis, try to curb the gateway drug effect
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Yep good idea.. cause it doesnt really work .. has nothing to do with the fact its difficult to tax other wise and causing a whole bunch of finacial headaches .. b/careful what you read .. its not all above board .. or that simple .. becareful what you read .. that debate is as messy as this one

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    i think that is partly killing the drug culture with cannibis, try to curb the gateway drug effect
    spud likes this.

Bit by bit, little by little, our country is becoming a totalitarian state. Our politicians don't even pretend to represent the people anymore, our so called democracy is a farce. This has happened before when that other religion wanted full control over the lives of the people, now the religion of "health" with its priesthood of public health officials, and the true believers, (ANTZ), are all powerful.

Our freedoms, (such as they were), are being eroded away, just a little at a time, that way no one notices. They start with the minority groups, the smokers, because they are an easy target, and the propaganda war has been won in regards to people hating them. Next it will be the alcohol drinkers, (people are much harder to control when they are intoxicated), limits on where and what you can drink, (already starting), linking any alcohol consumption with violence, cancer, poor people.

Those in power will engineer it so that they don't suffer any lack of places to buy and consume alcohol, the rules will be for the ordinary people.

Reading a bit of history you start to see the patterns forming, the only thing that has changed is the religious beliefs. When you read the history of the big organised religious businesses, you see that the powerful had no problem indulging in all the excesses prohibited for the masses.

Interesting.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    You know spud looking at politics atm I agree with you .. however, if you look at the history of change and the reasons we devloped freedoms in the first place.. it was because people cared enough to speak out and do something about it .. the methods used to create change have been through varying methods and extemities depending on the issue.. but if not for those people who got off their behinds to do something about what they did not like we would not know what freedoms were about.

Its easy to sit here on a forum or have coffee with a freind and say you are scared or outline the nature of the problem or blame society .. but Eldridge Cleaver was right.. "If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem"

Its not really about what society or BT or Pharma or govt are doing.. its about what you are doing or are prepared to do..

Even in this thread there is a comment about Quit vic maybe not wanting quit via ecig stories.. *incredulous.. why do we care what they want? Its in thier best interest to keep things quiet and have no questions and not be pestered whilst they run all over peoples rights!

Blame society all you want.. the truth is most in austraila dont even know about ecigs or its benefits.. no one is countering the negative stories or the bought media.. in the end if you want change and if you care enough about your freedoms .. be it in ecigs or anything else in this life.. we have to be responsible.. we have to get off our backsides and tell people wether they want to listen or not..

Because if we who know about stuff dont speak out .. if we continue to use old excuses like .. we tried that .. oh it failed once.... Im too old .. too young too tired ... too whatever... then we deserve to lose our freedoms.. ecigs and otherwise.. and sadly if history is any teacher .. the end result for out grandkids or thier grandkids will be a bloody messy one

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Bit by bit, little by little, our country is becoming a totalitarian state. Our politicians don't even pretend to represent the people anymore, our so called democracy is a farce. This has happened before when that other religion wanted full control over the lives of the people, now the religion of "health" with its priesthood of public health officials, and the true believers, (ANTZ), are all powerful.

Our freedoms, (such as they were), are being eroded away, just a little at a time, that way no one notices. They start with the minority groups, the smokers, because they are an easy target, and the propaganda war has been won in regards to people hating them. Next it will be the alcohol drinkers, (people are much harder to control when they are intoxicated), limits on where and what you can drink, (already starting), linking any alcohol consumption with violence, cancer, poor people.

Those in power will engineer it so that they don't suffer any lack of places to buy and consume alcohol, the rules will be for the ordinary people.

Reading a bit of history you start to see the patterns forming, the only thing that has changed is the religious beliefs. When you read the history of the big organised religious businesses, you see that the powerful had no problem indulging in all the excesses prohibited for the masses.

Interesting.
    Mark B and DogMan like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast