Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Plain packaging making "no impact"

AVF Regular

Plain packaging making "no impact"

BT still makes profits....

Plain packaging making 'no impact' on Australian smokers, say tobacco chiefs

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Ha that is one of "our" mates claims to fame. (SC)
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

AVF Regular
    No shit!

The only idiots who thought it would do any good, were non smokers..........people who dont understand smokers.

I'm sure it's no surprise at all to smokers that this didn't make a difference ........... I can't believe anyone ever thought it would. As for having some impact on not 'luring' kids into it ................. maybe.
    Having said that, I don't trust what the tobacco company's say either.

AVF Regular
    what plain packaging??... like the saying goes "Dont judge the book by it's cover". when i use to smoke before i light the cigarette not the packaging i crumpled it and squash it.

p.s. pffftt

AVF Regular
    When I was a young smoker I had a matching cigarette case and hip flask. I hardly ever had the actual pack around.

That aside, it's already been said. The only people who thought this might be a deterrent are the non-smokers who don't even have the slightest inkling of what it is to be a smoker. Graphic warnings, plain packets, having to get by 3 rabid wolves and an angry goat to buy a pack, doesn't matter. None of that stuff matters. It's not a deterrent for the young ones either. They'd just do what I did if the packs bothered them.

Social engineering has done all it's going to do in western society. We've hit that brick wall of 17-20% awareness campaigns aren't going to turn off the risk taking part of the brain in the younger generation.
    gtadmin, JenJ, spud and 1 others like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    The people I feel sorry for are the workers at the ciggie kiosk. Ever since plain packaging was introduced, smokers still walk in and say I'll have a pack of PJ Gold 30s. I've been wondering about what sort of organisational system they have, because generally they can find what you want pretty quickly. So plain packaging must be working somewhere (in the minds of the ANTZ) but I've yet to work out where
    spud likes this.

So the main point of plain packs is to deter kids from taking up smoking.

One of the main reasons I began smoking in my early teens was because it was a bad/naughty thing to do. These pictures only strengthen that motivation for kids who are so inclined as I was to do naughty things. It's just another example of how SC just doesn't get it.

Where are the current stats on the de-acceleration of kids not taking up smoking since plain packs were introduced?

Personally, I think it would be more effective to colour the cigarette boxes with the same brown colour of those pants that senior citizens wear at the bowling clubs, and put madantory adverts for hemerroid cream and stool softeners. Normalise it as an old person's habit.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 05-03-14 at 04:52 AM.
    tom32, spud, Altered1 and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    to me, no impact = no brainer. smokers are gonna smoke no matter what the pack look like. if kids are gonna take it up they will no matter what the packs look like. i always thought it was just someone doing something to make it look like they were actually earning their money.

Plain packaging is like tax hikes, smoking bans, and demonising smokers, its about showing the plebs, (that would be the general public, us in other words), that the government can control every aspect of your life, if it chooses to. But mostly its about money, the method of getting this money is not always obvious as it is cloaked in the "people can't be trusted to do what's best for them and need to be treated like children", when you infantilise adults, you remove their ability to make decisions, and you remove their autonomy, and it makes them very easy to control. This is why slaves in days gone by, were treated as children, dependent children, because this made it easy to control them.

The more the boot comes down on the necks of the people, the more dangerous the situation, and the more likely there will be a backlash. At the moment its just smokers, and lately vapers, but the general population don't care about them, they are the minority. That could change very quickly if the government pushes much more, they are walking a very fine line atm.

These are just my observations. There are Harolds everywhere, watch out !!!

vaping_gal and weissesfleisch like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast