Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Liberal Party has 'no stance' on ENDS

Talking Liberal Party has 'no stance' on ENDS

Good afternoon Jessamine,

I understand that you recently contacted the Tasmanian Liberal Party Secretariat in regards to the Liberal Party’s stance on the use of e-cigarettes (ENDS) as a means to quit smoking.

Secretariat has asked me to provide you with a response given that I am one of your federal representatives, and I am very happy to do so.

Currently, the use of e-cigarettes is not regulated in Australia, as no company that is a maker/supplier of this product has made a submission to the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) to allow for the use of e-cigarettes as an aid to help an individual quit nicotine cigarettes.

Until such time as this occurs, the nicotine contained in these products cannot be monitored and therefore their affects are unknown.

As such, the Liberal Party does not have a ‘stance’ regarding the use of these products as an aid to quit smoking, as we are yet to see any submission to say that this is or is not the case.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you and if I can ever be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office on the details below.

Regards,
    David

Senator David Bushby

Liberal Senator for Tasmania
    Senator David Bushby : Liberal Senator for Tasmania

Electorate Office
    Level 2, 18 Ross Avenue ROSNY PARK
    P (03) 6244 8533 F (03) 6244 8521
    GirlyPantz, margyb, spud and 3 others like this.
    On a two month buying ban starting 21/01/14 - time to stop buying and start reviewing!!!

Well done with getting this statement. Even more so because it is a Federal Statement. The best bit is this statement "As such, the Liberal Party does not have a ‘stance’ regarding the use of these products as an aid to quit smoking, as we are yet to see any submission to say that this is or is not the case."
    Jessamine and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Well that looks promising
    I think ??

Time to visit David Bushby for an education session on e-cigs Jess??
    After the elections in March
    And Will Hodgman needs a visit too ( his dad Michael Hodgman MP died of emphysema) So should get a sympathetic ear there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-1...n-dies/4764862
    Last edited by margyb; 05-03-14 at 07:14 PM.
    GirlyPantz, Jessamine and maggie like this.

For sure, we'll rally the troops after the election. I think it has to be good, the Labor party certainly has been communicating their stance recently
    margyb likes this.
    On a two month buying ban starting 21/01/14 - time to stop buying and start reviewing!!!

This was my response FYI:

Dear Senator David Bushby,

Thank you very much for your timely response.

The TGA may never receive a submission as ENDS are not NRT even though they may appear to be doing the same thing; they are instead a safer alternative to smoking. They are a viable harm reduction option to switch to for those who have been unable to or don't want to quit / stay quit via medical means or 'cold turkey'.

I applaud the Liberal Party's open-mindedness on this issue, and find it reassuring you are waiting until all the information is in. This certainly is not true of the current Tasmanian Health Minister.

When the Liberal Party holds the Tasmanian state Government (which it surely must, come this election!) I'd love to arrange a meeting with yourself and some other vapers, so we can show you our equipment and furnish you with some information on the safety and efficacy of vaping.

In the meantime I will provide you with one brief link for your interest: The “Dark Truth” Behind E-Cigarettes - SocialSteak

Kind Regards,

Jessamine
    Last edited by Jessamine; 05-03-14 at 07:25 PM.
    Noe, GirlyPantz, Fatman and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Jess, for your own online protection, you shouldn't display your full name ...
    GirlyPantz, margyb, Fatman and 1 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Big up on getting those massive dildos to actually answer a question.
    Jessamine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Jess, for your own online protection, you shouldn't display your full name ...
    Edited because I'm an eeeediot. Thank you
    GirlyPantz, margyb and gtadmin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessamine View Post
    This was my response FYI:

Dear Senator David Bushby,

Thank you very much for your timely response.

The TGA may never receive a submission as ENDS are not NRT even though they may appear to be doing the same thing; they are instead a safer alternative to smoking. They are a viable harm reduction option to switch to for those who have been unable to or don't want to quit / stay quit via medical means or 'cold turkey'.

I applaud the Liberal Party's open-mindedness on this issue, and find it reassuring you are waiting until all the information is in. This certainly is not true of the current Tasmanian Health Minister.

When the Liberal Party holds the Tasmanian state Government (which it surely must, come this election!) I'd love to arrange a meeting with yourself and some other vapers, so we can show you our equipment and furnish you with some information on the safety and efficacy of vaping.

In the meantime I will provide you with one brief link for your interest: The “Dark Truth” Behind E-Cigarettes - SocialSteak

Kind Regards,

Jessamine
    Sorry, Jessamine I'm new to this political stuff but I can honestly say to you that the link you provided was confusing and counter productive in my opinion by it's name the "dark truth" behind ecigarettes. As someone who has never seen it before it looked like an anti sex ad for aids. Sorry, no offence.
    Last edited by gtadmin; 05-03-14 at 08:17 PM.

AVF Regular
    maybe this whole thread should be deleted before someone who was banned on here runs to them with an idea and takes control of the whole Australian market. I don't think its beneath him. He was aiming for that in the past and a small crack in a windscreen always finds its way all the across.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast