• 2 Post By margyb
  • 1 Post By Mathy
  • 1 Post By izmali

Thread: Stop Smoking Service in UK now e-cig friendly

AVF Regular

Stop Smoking Service in UK now e-cig friendly

saw this on Dave Dorn's VTTV

Dave’s Tackle Box ( starts at 17 mins)

Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust Stop Smoking Manager, Louise Ross, has recently established a relationship with UKVapers.org; an online forum connecting e-cigarette users.

Balls to Stop – Leicester stop smoking service | E-cigarette Insight Scheme

Blog – Let There Be Light
    Posted by, stopsmoking on February 17, 2014
    - by Louise Ross (pictured with Balls to Stop Ambassador Jonathan Agnew and Leicester City FC Club Ambassador Alan Birchenall), Leicester Stop Smoking Service Manager

Note: views are my own and don’t necessarily represent my organisation

I’m really proud of my Stop team: compassionate and experienced, and with genuine commitment to improving the health of some of the most disadvantaged people in our communities, we’ve always had really good sign-up and success rates… until the end of 2012-13. Something happened to the number of calls coming in, and it was like a shutdown that seemed to happen almost overnight. It was of course, e-cigs that had caused this falling-out of faith with what we traditionally offered. I did a straw-poll with my team, asking them to count the number of times e-cigs were mentioned by callers or service users. We had around 150 mentions in a two week period.

While everything seemed to be grinding to a halt, I saw the invitation to go to the e-cig summit in London, November 2013. I knew that I had to equip myself with better knowledge about the devices, their appeal, and why they had captured the imagination of smokers who wanted to change their smoking behaviour. I was intrigued to see people vaping indoors, and it was clear that there was no smell. I talked to vapers, who were so helpful when I asked naïve questions.

The summit was a turning-point for me. I went back to Leicester, determined to find a way to make an offer to Leicester smokers that enabled them to get the extra support that would help them stop smoking for good, while not getting ourselves in trouble for ‘recommending’ e-cigs.

We started talking to a retailer who has a shop near our office – we got him in to two team meetings to talk about his own use of e-cigs, and what his customers say. This was the team’s own turning-point, and they were enthused by his sincerity and his genuine interest in the same things as they were – helping people avoid the real harms of smoking combustible tobacco.

Other supporters emerged, including key people in Public Health, a professor at Leicester University, a GP who wishes he could give them to all his smoking patients.

We ran a hugely successful E-cig Learning Forum in January, and one of the highlights was a Vapers’ Panel, where Leicester vapers told the audience about their experiences, and answered a bombardment of questions from the floor. At the start, we did a polarisation check – how many of the 100 attendees were broadly in favour, broadly against, broadly on the fence. It was about a third for each. We did it again at the end, and almost all the audience voted in favour. The Chair (Professor David Simpson) said he’d never seen such a swing.

Between us, we have devised a plan that will not only encourage Leicester smokers to see my team, but will also give them better information about the option of using e-cigs, with an emphasis on 2nd generation models for better results. As a thank-you for taking part in a longer look at what happened after they finish seeing us, we’re offering a £30 voucher to all service users who get to 4 weeks smokefree with e-cigs. This will give us some real insight into longer-term results.

We’re just getting the info leaflet ready, and I’ll share it very soon. I’m grateful to all the vaping tweeps I’ve met on Twitter who have helped me understand what I need to do.

Louise Ross
    @grannylouisa

This blog has been reproduced with the kind permission of Clive Bates of The Counterfactual. To read Louise’s guest blog in its original posting, please click here

AVF Regular
    I read this a while ago at UKV, this woman is fantastic and such a great advertisement for true grass roots community health programmes. Smart, got a quit programme with meaningful ambassadors and a catchy title, open minded and curious, wish she could be cloned a 100 times over
    margyb and Cath Mort like this.

AVF Regular
    Louise Ross on Dave Dorns show showing pamphlet

Quit Australia should take note and Simon Chapman
    I cant find the pamphlet online

Cath Mort and Mathy like this.

AVF Regular
    MargyB, the website that you've linked above seems to be an interactive version. It even has a direct link for people on their programme to go to UK Vapers, where (after setting up an account) they have their own sub-forum - what a great idea!
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    That may be something to look at surely there must community quit smoking groups in aus that cld.be approached, not just big pharma run ones like quit line... something for vaa to look into maybe
    margyb likes this.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

AVF Regular
    If we've got people with good community contacts, we could certainly start a bit of an educational revolution. I was a community worker and still have a network - happy to put my hand up if we can quickly develop a simple small workshop idea that covers the basics. There must be others, Oxey springs to mind, for a start.