Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Simeon Chaparone on e-cigarettes: the best and the worst case scenarios of e-cigs

Simeon Chaparone on e-cigarettes: the best and the worst case scenarios of e-cigs

Use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigs or Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems—ENDS) is showing exponential increase in some nations. Their regular use remains marginal in Australia, where the sale of nicotine liquid is banned (personal imports are legal only if the importer needs nicotine for therapeutic purposes—including to assist with the cessation of smoking. Legal importation of e-juice would require a prescription). There is considerable energy going into envisioning the likely benefits and harms of their proliferation. In this first of three blogs, I paint the best and worst case scenarios. This week, I participated in a WHO meeting focused on e-cigarettes and have recently edited a special supplement of reviews on the issues involved by US Food and Drug Administration scientists. It will be published soon in Tobacco Control.

Read his take on the best and worst case scenarios here.

Some of what he says is not that bad. Gives best and worst case scenarios for the future of e-cigs. But you still can't help feeling that he's secretly hoping for the worst.

Apparently more to come next week.

AVF Regular
    Well I never
    Best case scenario +1
    mavinry4 and essiemessy like this.

AVF Regular
    Simon changes his story depending on who his audience is, ranging from personal attacks on vapers to sitting on the fence about ecigs. Even though he says some interesting things, notably dual-use being a part of the process to no tobacco and 2nd hand effects inconsequential I still reckon if pushed/pressured he'd always go for his worst scenario. Put simply I don't trust him as he is a master of media manipulation.

For instance he's always been against outdoor bans of smoking, but does not use his power to stop them from happening and if there were any bans on e-cigs in Aus he'd once again do nothing to stop them from happening.
    GirlyPantz, mavinry4, spud and 1 others like this.

he's made his intentions quite clear before too. Its so backward, it's almost sickening.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yes..but it appears he might be changing his tune, esp when it comes to dual-use, but i just don't trust him. THe whole best/worst scenario format reeks of covering all bases and I reckon he's not about to stake his reputation on it. I'd be interested to see what comes out of the WHO meeting as the WHO has been quite bigoted about ecig benefits in the past saying some ridiculous things.
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    He points to evil

Here's a hint for him. Only over regulation will cause problems. Cigalikes sold by BT would take over and be sold everywhere. Since they don't work that well you will have dual use.
    2nd and 3rd gen take some effort and will not appeal to people experimenting.

If you need an 'evil' to justify your narrow minded view of the world;
    -Cigalikes sold by BT.
    -NRT that does not work.
    -Idiot researchers that do not understand vaping.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    Agree.. Tho I wonder f BT and pharma anrnt quietly working togeather on this one... it would be a perfect arrangement for them both short and long term

Quote Originally Posted by sushiaddiction View Post
    He points to evil

Here's a hint for him. Only over regulation will cause problems. Cigalikes sold by BT would take over and be sold everywhere. Since they don't work that well you will have dual use.
    2nd and 3rd gen take some effort and will not appeal to people experimenting.

If you need an 'evil' to justify your narrow minded view of the world;
    -Cigalikes sold by BT.
    -NRT that does not work.
    -Idiot researchers that do not understand vaping.
    GirlyPantz and ouspensky72 like this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

I would say that the best case scenario, minus the quit vaping, (this would only be best for those interested in giving up nicotine), is already happening. Its just going to take a few years for the denial to stop. Dr F's research is already showing many of the "best case" results, and I expect more to come.

This little brain fart by Chapman is a way of covering his arse more than anything else, on some level he knows his opposition to vaping, and his ridicule of what is the most effective form of tobacco harm reduction, will put him on the wrong side of history, as tobacco "control" becomes irrelevant, (and so does he in the process). Shows me that his opinions will change not because of evidence that proves him wrong, but when he fears he has picked the wrong side of the issue, and standing with people like Glantz is making him look just as much a fool as that old buffoon.

I have no doubt that we will see Chapman jump on the vaping bandwagon, when he realizes his own anti-smoker gravy train, is running out of fuel.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Those in public health who threw all caution to the wind, and vilified those who wanted good evidence to lead policy are written into public health history as overly excitable amnesic or myopic quislings, wittingly or unwittingly orchestrated by commercial interests.
    Public Health is not based on good evidence. His opposition to snus (against all evidence) underlines his hypocrisy. Chapman like many in public health has a ideological hatred and distrust of "commercial interests".
    GirlyPantz, mavinry4, spud and 2 others like this.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    Public Health is not based on good evidence. His opposition to snus (against all evidence) underlines his hypocrisy. Chapman like many in public health has a ideological hatred and distrust of "commercial interests".
    Can't decide if it's commercial interests or illogical fear of anything to do with enjoying nicotine.

]6⁹.12[

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast