• 2 Post By mavinry4
  • 1 Post By Rynxa
  • 1 Post By Fractal
  • 1 Post By essiemessy
  • 1 Post By essiemessy

Thread: Taxing Ecigs is Ethically Repugnant

Taxing Ecigs is Ethically Repugnant

TAX

A proposal to substantially tax e-cigarettes stalls in the Legislature - Auburn Reporter

In the Legislature, proposed House Bill 2795 would have taxed tobacco substitutes, such as e-cigarettes, at 75 percent. A 95 percent tax was originally proposed. The bill would have allowed devices prescribed by a licensed physician to be exempt if the Food and Drug Administration approves e-cigarettes as tobacco-cessation devices. Revenue would have gone towards education.

An example of whats to come to Australia in the next few years, if and when nicotine liquids and nicotine cartridges sales are legalised:

"We have Puritane and Intellicig available. Pack of 5 prefilled unrefillable cartridges are $12.95, or on special at Priceline Pharmacy for $10.35. The Corner store two shops up from the Pharmacy are selling Non-medicinal e-cigarette cartridges- 5 prefilled-unrefillable cartridges for $24.95. The 10mL bottles of ejuice are $35 each. If you're not happy with these options, Winfield Blues are available for $27 per pack of 20. We also have Quickmist, Nicabate Gum, and Nicorette Patches".

In the US, there are people (mostly Republicans) who stop this crap from happening, and so the above bill looks to be dead.

E-cigs should never be taxed anywhere near the levels that are placed on tobacco products. I don't think the argument that "you'd go back to smoking because of the price" really works. Tobacco smokes will most likely always remain more expensive so if price was the issue, then you'd still choose the overly-expensive ejuice.

High and disproportionate taxes on ejuice is wrong on so many levels. I think it's important that we make it clear as to why that is.

Give your best argument against taxes on ecigs and ejuice.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 18-03-14 at 05:56 AM.
    margyb and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    I'd be happy with regular sales tax and maybe a slight say 5-10% tax in order to pay for things like industry standardization and other forms of good regulation. Sin taxes should be equal to their impact on individual and societal impacts.

Their arguments for the tax are silly, that's like saying that if I used ice-cream as an alternative to smoking they'd have to put a 75% tax on it because it was my smoking alternative.

Taxes aren't bad, they just need to be fair and justifiable with logic and science, not bullshit hyperbole and "addiction is bad, because addiction is bad," arguments.
    spud likes this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    Brain mistook Auburn for other Auburn.... was about to be concerned.

It's not the first time an area in the US has attempted unjustified taxes. And not the last.

Taxes are a disincentive, they will discourage people from taking up vaping. Particularly the people in the lowest income brackets where the smoking rate is highest and who could benefit the most. A ridiculous tax on ecigs, like all "sin" taxes, would just be another middle finger from the upper to the lower economic class - a "we don't care if you die, as long as you're broke", and yet another cash grab from those that can least afford it.
    spud likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Yep, imagine the price of PK and Extra! And lollies! OMG
    Oh, shit.. CHIPS!

OH, NOOOO Chocolate!

All alternatives to smoking.
    spud likes this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Then again, these things are increasingly being deemed 'hazardous' as well, so that argument will be even harder to win. It'll all boil back down to nicotine again.
    spud likes this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.