Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: kids vaping

AVF Regular

Post kids vaping

video: http://kdfw.videodownload.worldnow.c...23366992AC.mp4

Debate on health effects of e-cigs heats up as teen use grows

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on gmailShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services
    Posted: Mar 18, 2014 2:07 PM EST
    Updated: Mar 20, 2014 6:12 AM EST
    By: Richard Ray - bio | email

A growing number of school districts in North Texas have found it necessary to formally ban the use of e-cigarettes on campus because its use among teenagers is exploding.

There's also a debate over whether or not using the e-cigs, or vaping, is really a safe alternative to smoking.

At Monday's last bell at Sunset High School in Dallas, teenagers were vaping 100 yards from the front door.

Dallas ISD bans e-cigarette use under its code of conduct, and Fort Worth and Desoto ISDs changed the wording of their policies to specifically ban e-cigarettes.

At a weekend event in Lewisville called Vape Blast, vendors touted e-cigarettes – tobacco-less devices that imitate the sensation of smoking.

"My airways feel much more open; I feel a lot healthier," said Steven Jessamine, who vapes.

Vape shops are banned from selling to anyone under 18, but Lexus Saunders attended Vape Blast with her father and siblings, even though she's only 16.

"In high school, the teachers don't let us have ‘em, so most of the time we use ‘em off campus," said Lexus.

"It's catching on in the teen community, unfortunately, but I guess vaping is better than smoking," said Lexus' dad, Callie.

Lexus' mother says her daughter uses non-nicotine e-cigarettes.

Buyers are able to customize their cigarettes and order them with or without nicotine and with a variety of flavors.

"I like the Jolly Ranchers, the Skittles and the rainbow," said Lexus.

Dr. Arturo Aviles treats patients every day whose smoking has caused heart and lung problems.

He's appalled by the growing popularity of vaping among teens.

"If children are adopting e-cigarette smoking, this could be the worst thing that could happen to them," he said.

Dr. Aviles says more studies need to be done on vaping, but clearly, long-term nicotine use is harmful.

"It's a bad example to smoke, whether this is electronic cigarettes or plain cigarettes," he said. "At this point, I think the medical community should be aware that this is something that should not be acceptable."

It's not just school districts that are moving to ban e-cigarette use in Texas -- at least two cities have banned vaping in public: Lufkin in East Texas and Frisco.

Read more: Debate on health effects of e-cigs heats up as teen use grows - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

So .. at 16 yrs old ( in Aus) teens can leave home, ( and the guv/taxpayerss pay them a living away from home allowance) have sex, have babies, drive a vehicle, but they shouldn't vape .. makes perfect sense !
    DEATHGUYJ and Fawks like this.

AVF Regular
    Dr. Aviles says more studies need to be done on vaping, but clearly, long-term nicotine use is harmful.
    but is it? we know, of course, that smoking is harmful, but is nicotine? me thinks dr. aviles is talking out his ass. more knee jerk reactions.
    DEATHGUYJ, spud and DaveJ like this.

It's hard to know what to believe. I suspect the teens experimenting with ecigs would otherwise be experimenting with cigarettes so it may just be the lesser of evils. Parents need to be more active though and know what their kids are up to. It's lazy for parents to think that laws or society should stop their kids from doing things they shouldnt, parents need to take an active role too. e.g. the father taking his 16 yr old to a vape fest - I dont agree with, these products are for adults. I suspect they are overexaggerating the numbers though, this could be just a few students and are likely using cigalikes so the students may be getting miniscule amounts of nicotine, pehaps no where near enough to become addicted and it in no way suggests students will move on to smoking cigarettes (or has society already accepted that myth that it's not even questioned anymore)
    DEATHGUYJ, spud and lulu68 like this.

AVF Regular
    Sigh. Same old, same old.

These teens who are vaping, are they also consuming alcohol? Marijuana? Speed, "e", ....

Why do I not hear an outcry about those other things? Why is vaping being singled out?
    Noe, Gresh11, JenJ and 2 others like this.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    It's lazy for parents to think that laws or society should stop their kids from doing things they shouldnt, parents need to take an active role too. e.g. the father taking his 16 yr old to a vape fest - I dont agree with, these products are for adults.
    It's unfashionable for parents to say "no" to their kids these days, they like to be seen as cool ................. don't even get me started on how pathetic it is.
    spud and vaping_gal like this.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    The children

Don't you think most of the crap you read in the media would disappear if first generation were taken out of the equation.

-No more people starting on 1st gen say e-cigs don't work. Studies pointing to the same.
    -Probably almost eliminate what they call dual use. It's BS anyway. I bet most long term dual use is by people who don't want to stop smoking(cigalike for indoors. esp. in cold weather climates).
    -No kids vaping on something that looks like a smoke.
    -Dead end for tobacco companies unless they can compete with ego/mod (2nd/3rd gen)

Like I've said before, I hate overpriced cigalikes. I don't mind reasonably priced ones. As long as people understand they don't deliver as much nic as 2nd and 3rd gen.

I don't think they should be banned. Just using above to demonstrate where all the media crap (&BT) is focused.
    Last edited by sushiaddiction; 20-03-14 at 05:00 PM.
    DEATHGUYJ and spud like this.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    I think becareful of dogmatisism especially in the areas of addiction lest you sound no better then the quit lobby groups and others like them... keep in mind many have quit cold turkey, many have quit using NRT, many have quit using crappy cigalikes and still more others have quit with 2nd and 3rd gen PVs... none of these methods have suited everyone and its why you might see deul use accross the board both long and short term...

Sadly despite what I may think of first gen ... they do sell.. and they do sell alot and probably mostly to new people or those unable to get their heads around 2nd and third gen... they are prob a nessacary evil in many ways too.. so we wont see an end to them soon

Other then that davej probably sums it up nicely "Sigh. Same old, same old."

Quote Originally Posted by sushiaddiction View Post
    The children

Don't you think most of the crap you read in the media would disappear if first generation were taken out of the equation.

-No more people starting on 1st gen say e-cigs don't work. Studies pointing to the same.
    -Probably almost eliminate what they call dual use. It's BS anyway. I bet most long term dual use is by people who don't want to stop smoking(cigalike for indoors. esp. in cold weather climates).
    -No kids vaping on something that looks like a smoke.
    -Dead end for tobacco companies unless they can compete with ego/mod (2nd/3rd gen)

Like I've said before, I hate overpriced cigalikes. I don't mind reasonably priced ones. As long as people understand they don't deliver as much nic as 2nd and 3rd gen.

I don't think they should be banned. Just using above to demonstrate where all the media crap (&BT) is focused.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

These people are morons, 'lets ban something so that teenagers can't easily access it, that'll stop them' , 'lets tell them its risky, dangerous, scary, something only for adults, that'll turn them off trying it', stupid, stupid, stupid.

BTW Dr Moron in this article obviously doesn't keep up with current thinking in regards to nicotine and long term use, doesn't he realise that the FDA have just approved nicotine gums, patches and inhalers for long term use, in line with some long term studies on the effects of nicotine on the body over the 'long term', they didn't seem to have a problem with people using these forms of nicotine delivery for months or even years!!
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    These people are morons, 'lets ban something so that teenagers can't easily access it, that'll stop them' , 'lets tell them its risky, dangerous, scary, something only for adults, that'll turn them off trying it', stupid, stupid, stupid.

BTW Dr Moron in this article obviously doesn't keep up with current thinking in regards to nicotine and long term use, doesn't he realise that the FDA have just approved nicotine gums, patches and inhalers for long term use, in line with some long term studies on the effects of nicotine on the body over the 'long term', they didn't seem to have a problem with people using these forms of nicotine delivery for months or even years!!
    If e-cig produced no visible vapour? Just like an inhaler, what could they say?

Maybe they are still at an animal level and fear anything that resembles smoke. Even worse is that it's mist and they still associate it with smoke because of smoking. Stupid people.
    DEATHGUYJ and vaping_gal like this.

]6⁹.12[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast