Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The dirty dozen opponents of freedom

The dirty dozen opponents of freedom

12. Simon Chapman

Simon Chapman is a Sydney University academic and one of Australia's foremost advocates of the Nanny State.

His greatest success has been promoting and pushing through the Australian political system plain packaging of tobacco products.

Chapman argued for laws that would remove colours and logos from tobacco packaging - a policy which implies that colours and logos are too dangerous to be permitted in a free country.

Now he is arguing that the government require individuals get a licence to purchase cigarettes. Explaining his proposal in The Conversation, Chapman wrote:

I've lived through advertising bans, smoking bans in workplaces, smoking bans in restaurants, smoking bans in pubs, graphic warnings on packs, and presently, plain packaging, and every time these things came along people said 'that will never happen'.

He deserves a place on this list for his staunch advocacy of policies that replace personal responsibility with state paternalism.

https://ipa.org.au/publications/2233/the-dirty-dozen
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 01-04-14 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot link
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    Meh. Crap article ladened with enough political bias to make me sick.

Seriously no 7? Didn't we just have the argument about 18 and 19 year olds being entitiled to an 'adult' wage?

Quote Originally Posted by CrappyArticle

7. H.B. Higgins
    H.B. Higgins was the sole judge in the infamous Harvester case, which established the idea of a mandatory minimum wage.
    In the case Higgins held that employers were obliged to pay wages that met ‘the normal needs of an average employee, regarded as a human being in a civilised community.'
    The Harvester judgement marked the beginning of a successful push for greater government intervention in the relationship between employer and employee.
    In part, the minimum wage in Australia owes its existence to Higgins. Restrictions on the ability of enterprising individuals to employ others can take many forms. But perhaps the most paternalistic and singularly most damaging policy is that of the mandatory minimum wage.
    Higgins deserves his place as one of Australian history's most virulent opponents of freedom for helping to spread economic illiteracy that still pervades the industrial relations debate more than 100 years on.

In this list we've chosen the dirty dozen of Australian opponents of freedom: the most energetic, aggressive, influential, and outright offensive promoters of the Nanny State, restrictions on free speech, constraints on our economic freedom, and illiberalism in general.
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ummm.....I think the Institute of Public Affairs who posted this has a slight agenda.

The IPA funded by its membership which include both private individuals and businesses. Among these businesses are ExxonMobil,[5] Telstra, WMC Resources, BHP Billiton, Phillip Morris,[6] Murray Irrigation Limited,[7] and Visy Industries.
    Not that I think that Chippie shouldn't be on the list.....just few people on there probably shouldn't. Not a definitive list by any means.
    Nakor, spud, vaping_gal and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    In this list we've chosen the dirty dozen of Australian opponents of freedom: the most energetic, aggressive, influential, and outright offensive promoters of the Nanny State, restrictions on free speech, constraints on our economic freedom, and illiberalism in general.
    You think a minimum wage is opposing freedom?

Of course those on it will feel some much more freedom once it's taken away.

God help us if our country takes care of its own, especially those who struggle.
    tally-ho, spud, vaping_gal and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Dot worry the Liberals under Aboot are currently undoing the nanny state.. by undoing the 'evil' harverster decision which increased living standards in Austraila and helped close the gap between rich and poor.

The racial discrimination act is slowly being repealed to import Aisian nannies form china so they can work for 200 pw as opposed to the current cause its double what they earn now.. Never mind that the biggest backers of repealing the racial discrimination act in the name of free speech happen to be NAZI revisionists and corporations trying to import people to do your job for peanuts

its also been repealed slowly cause it will be Aboridginal and other 'minority' that will be hardest hit when the basics card comes in ...luckily those on the basics card will not be able to buy smokes, ecigs, analogues or alcohol on it unless of course they sell thier food cards at the current rate of about 50 cents in the dollar.. go the EBT Basics card! (Also known as the SNAP card in the US)

Keynsian economic is just junk right? because people on welfare dont contribute to the economy unless they are underpaid .. forget that they need furniture, food, housing, toys and other junk peeps sell..am sure milkbar and takeaway food people are going to love the basicss card cause those on welfare should not be able to eat junk food.. in the current climate it is soooo much better to keep them cut down so that we have corperate welfare instead of individual welfare am sure that wont place a strain on the economy.. Walmart USA is just sparkling example of that

Yeah human rights is a crock .. WTF does a disabled person or woman or ethnic person or other under the bill need with human rights? they are all b/stards .. to hell with them .. everyone is equal..

This fing propaganda machine wont stop spinning .. and we will all pay for it ... its garbage
    Fatman, spud and maggie like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    You think a minimum wage is opposing freedom?

Of course those on it will feel some much more freedom once it's taken away.

God help us if our country takes care of its own, especially those who struggle.
    TBH I was only interested in the bit about chimpy and his smokers license. I dont keep up with politics deliberately (unless it's about vaping) because it gives me the $hits.
    margyb, spud and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    I guess it does say something when Chapman even makes onto a list like that....lol. It's unanimous.....everyone thinks he's a moron.

Wasn't picking on you V_G.....just the dudes who made the list.
    vaping_gal likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    TBH I was only interested in the bit about chimpy and his smokers license. I dont keep up with politics deliberately (unless it's about vaping) because it gives me the $hits.
    Fair enough. I 'mostly' try to avoid politics myself of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaktop View Post
    I guess it does say something when Chapman even makes onto a list like that....lol. It's unanimous.....everyone thinks he's a moron.

Indeed. Either he's a) Just that oderous or b) somehow on the wrong side of the obvious bias.

I'll take c) all of the above.
    spud and vaping_gal like this.

AVF Regular
    Its about economics.. not surprising hes on the list.. same reason that indonesia has Austraila in its sites... (it provides 2rds of tobacco) .. Chapman chirps alot.. stops/ slows them making money .. think under this govt it will be easier to get ecigs throu and snus.. if economic benefits are highlighted including 1.5 billion dollar growing industry that may cut down overall health costs in the future.. and snus too what ever the figures on that might be... with this govt its mstly about the money .. however, this may be set back a little when the basics card comes in ... if welfare recipients cant access ecigs and snus.. that will show on the health figures in the long run and highlight yet another failure ..

Oddly if anything can get through with this govt I think ecigs and snus can .. if its couched right .. show them the MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Blaktop View Post

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast