Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: E-cigs shown to be 20x less worse than Tobacco cigarettes

E-cigs shown to be 20x less worse than Tobacco cigarettes

Background: An international expert panel convened by the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs developed a multi-criteria decision analysis model of the relative importance of different types of harm related to the use of nicotine-containing products. Method: The group defined 12 products and 14 harm criteria. Seven criteria represented harms to the user, and the other seven indicated harms to others. The group scored all the products on each criterion for their average harm worldwide using a scale with 100 defined as the most harmful product on a given criterion, and a score of zero defined as no harm. The group also assessed relative weights for all the criteria to indicate their relative importance. Findings: Weighted averages of the scores provided a single, overall score for each product. Cigarettes (overall weighted score of 100) emerged as the most harmful product, with small cigars in second place (overall weighted score of 64). After a substantial gap to the third-place product, pipes (scoring 21), all remaining products scored 15 points or less. Interpretation: Cigarettes are the nicotine product causing by far the most harm to users and others in the world today. Attempts to switch to non-combusted sources of nicotine should be encouraged as the harms from these products are much lower.

European Addiction Research 2014, Vol. 20, No. 5 - Estimating the Harms of Nicotine-Containing Products Using the MCDA Approach - FullText - Karger Publishers
    margyb, lozza 82, Rynxa and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    thats nothing new mav. the polits know this too.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    thats nothing new mav. the polits know this too.
    True that it's nothing new in terms of what we already know. However, it's a peer reviewed scientific research paper, which is something we can use to help form public opinion and push for legitimization of the industry.

It's important info to share.
    Midlife and Sponky like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

great news this.
    we should be able to upset the chimpman with these results.
    someone needs to copy those graphs etc to use here. (no idea how or if we are allowed to)
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Olfella View Post
    great news this.
    someone needs to copy those graphs etc to use here. (no idea how or if we are allowed to)
    To be honest mate, I think old chimpy would dismiss it as irrelevant, after all it still looks like smoking.
    mavinry4, Olfella, spud and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    To be honest mate, I think old chimpy would dismiss it as irrelevant, after all it still looks like smoking.
    You're absolutely right on that.

In almost every interview regarding ecigs, SC has always stated that vaping brings back the "public performance" of smoking. He often buries this amongst other reasons, but it's the primary reason why he is against ecigs.

It looks like smoking, therefore it is bad.

He states that he doesn't want ecigs banned, but then goes onto twitter and throws out morbid warnings about the dangers of ecigs, without any suggestion about how to curb any potential dangers. The truth is, he wants them gone. Ecigs are an annoying distraction for him now, and I believe he's starting to see that it's going to turn into a tidal wave in years to come and he's starting to take action to delay that.

Fact of the matter is, Ecigs will do more to decrease the rates of smoking in a few short years than Tobacco Control has tried to do in decades. I'm certain that deep down, he's terrified by the notion that the Free Market can solve a social health crisis.
    margyb, CMB, lozza 82 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    You're absolutely right on that.

In almost every interview regarding ecigs, SC has always stated that vaping brings back the "public performance" of smoking. He often buries this amongst other reasons, but it's the primary reason why he is against ecigs.

It looks like smoking, therefore it is bad.

He states that he doesn't want ecigs banned, but then goes onto twitter and throws out morbid warnings about the dangers of ecigs, without any suggestion about how to curb any potential dangers. The truth is, he wants them gone. Ecigs are an annoying distraction for him now, and I believe he's starting to see that it's going to turn into a tidal wave in years to come and he's starting to take action to delay that.

Fact of the matter is, Ecigs will do more to decrease the rates of smoking in a few short years than Tobacco Control has tried to do in decades. I'm certain that deep down, he's terrified by the notion that the Free Market can solve a social health crisis.
    He fears his "legacy", and becoming even more irrelevant than he is now.
    margyb and lozza 82 like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Nice abstract - shame about the content...

The authors admitted to ‘...the lack of hard evidence for the harms of most products on most of the criteria’ and lest the reader be assured they can have some faith in the collective expertise, they are warned that 'There was no formal criterion for the recruitment of the experts...’. The methodology was to have a chin wag to ’score' some criteria and then weight them according to coefficients generated by... the groove and the vibe (to 3 significant digits no less) - in 2 days of workshops

I am not saying they are wrong, but lets not confuse opinionology (‘expert’ or otherwise) with science...

AVF Regular
    The results of this study suggest that of all nicotine-containing products, cigarettes (and small cigars in the USA) are very much the most harmful. Interventions to reduce this pre-eminence are likely to bring significant benefits not just to users but also to non-smokers and society as a whole. Attempts to use other forms of nicotine such as ENDS and NRT to reduce cigarette smoking should be encouraged as the harms of these products are much lower.
    Great article mav
    Thanks for posting

AVF Regular
    SC retweeted it, without comment …...
    Quote Originally Posted by Olfella View Post
    great news this.
    Olfella likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast