Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: FDA chief says proposed ruling coming "very soon"

AVF Regular

FDA chief says proposed ruling coming "very soon"

"FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg told senators at a Congressional budget hearing that it has taken too long to move the rule forward and that she expects the proposal to be ready for release "very soon."

The FDA's proposal is currently being examined by the White House's Office of Management and Budget, which reviews potential regulations to assess their economic impact. OMB, which has been reviewing the proposal for roughly five months, has not said when it will be finished with its assessment."

E-Cig rule coming 'very soon,' says FDA chief | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

AVF Regular
    Electronic cigarettes can be dangerous, even if you don't smoke them - latimes.com

expect to see a lot more of this in the popular press as the ruling date draws closer

AVF Regular
    In my news just now.. via Vaprfix sighs

E-Cigarette Poisonings Skyrocket, Mostly in Kids - NBC News
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    A growing chorus of public health advocates and lawmakers are pressing for prompt release of the proposal, arguing that the delay presents risks to children who may be attracted to the sweet flavors often contained in e-cigarettes.

Senator Jeff Merkley, Democrat of Oregon, told Hamburg that the agency's delays were "disgraceful" since makers of products such as tutti-frutti flavored e-cigarettes and strawberry-flavored cigars have "an insidious strategy to addict our children to nicotine."

A major flaw in their logic that I see
    Why would non smoking, non nicotine addicted kids use any juice with nicotine in it?
    And just say kids did manage to get zero nic juice and vaping gear, you'd probably find many of those kids tried vaping instead of smoking
    Is it not better those kids tried vaping instead of smoking considering you have the option to have zero nic with vaping?
    You cant try zero nic cigarettes.
    If anything, I believe his statement works in the direct opposite to how he intended it.
    A rise in popularity and availability of vaping juice and equipment will reduce the amount of kids getting hooked on nicotine, not increase it, simply because with vaping you have the option of zero nic.
    Then all that is left to do is focus on educating kids to understand the negatives of susbstance addiction.
    Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 04-04-14 at 12:06 PM.

And again, they leave out any stats that might give a bit of perspective, how many people live in America? 360 million or there abouts, and they are panicking over a tiny rise in e-cigarette related poisoning enquiries, (none of which have been fatal, as far as we know).

This is the media propaganda machine at its worst, dancing to the tune of their corporate masters.
    avtek and Whizgig like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    the way i read it tho - few of the stats are about vaping the juice - they are mostly about ingesting them in a way that was not "As directed" - or did i read it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    the way i read it tho - few of the stats are about vaping the juice - they are mostly about ingesting them in a way that was not "As directed" - or did i read it wrong?
    You're correct Avetk but that doesn't stop this information getting blown out of all proportion, in order to scare people. It should be a simple matter of letting people know that there have been a few incidents of ejuice being ingested, and sometimes by small children, so parents and vapers should be aware, and keep it in child proof containers, and out of reach of young children. That's it, but its far better for those ANTZ and vested interest groups, to try and demonise vaping and vapers, and call for bans.

I mean WTF, in the article posted by RATM they are talking about ejuice in gallon containers, like most vapers have their ejuice stored this way and laying around the house for kids to drink, sheesh!!! Even the word "skyrocketing" is over the top for an insignificant rise in the context of the number of people who are switching to vaping, as well as the number of people in the general population.

More than half of the poisoning reports involved children younger than 5, including many kids drawn to the nicotine-laced liquids flavored like fruit, bubble gum and soda pop, which come in containers ranging from small vials to multi-gallon jugs that are not required to be childproof.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    if i were an ejuice supplier i would scramble to have the words "use only as directed" written on my bottles - only a matter of time before some attention grabbing lawsuit is launched to serve the antz' cause

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    yes and no
    as usual they are all over the place with relevance and stats to the point its just another baseless propaganda piece influenced strongly by connections to vested interests by BP
    they stressed the concern for kids getting addicted to nicotine
    that's not something that is a concern you would have if a kid drunk some juice
    spud, avtek and Whizgig like this.

AVF Regular
    I hope the increase in scaremongering articles from the US media lately is just a coincidence and not conveniently timed to help support over the top regulation and or banning that the FDA may announce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast