Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: More People Poisoned By Toothpaste than E-Liquid

AVF Regular

More People Poisoned By Toothpaste than E-Liquid

Just pinched this from a Tassie forum
    TLDR

For instance, there were 193,443 cases of poisoning involving household cleaners. Alcohol poisoning was linked to 54,445 cases and most shocking of all, there were 20,206 cases of toothpaste poisoning. When you consider more than 20,000 people poisoned by toothpaste, a mere 365 e-liquid poisonings looks trivial. In fact, if there were 15 times the cases of e-liquid poisoning in 2014, it would still be less prevalent that toothpaste poisoning. - See more at: More People Poisoned By Toothpaste than E-Liquid - Electronic Cigarettes
    link

More People Poisoned By Toothpaste than E-Liquid - Electronic Cigarettes
    Robray, MrGruffy, tally-ho and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    You have to consider that toothpaste is in everyhouse in the world where eliquid is probably in about %0.5 percent of households.
    mavinry4, JenJ, spud and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    How the hell do you get toothpaste poisoning? Are these mostly toddlers who are swallowing half a tubes worth or something?

Personally I don't think we should be trivialising the dangers of nicotine poisoning. Nicotine is rapidly absorbed through the skin, and particularly the mucus membranes in the mouth and throat. It smells delicious so could be very tempting for toddlers to eat. Once in the mouth they may not want to swallow it but a lot of damage has already been done just in the mouth.

I don't think this is the case for toothpaste.

Also, once poisoned with nicotine it's hard to arrest the process. No point in pumping the stomach or inducing vomiting, it's too late.

I'm all for education about the dangers of nicotine eliquids, quality control measures and child proofing. Comparing nicotine poisoning with toothpaste isn't a good idea I reckon.
    arth_d and Whizgig like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    How the hell do you get toothpaste poisoning? Are these mostly toddlers who are swallowing half a tubes worth or something?

Personally I don't think we should be trivialising the dangers of nicotine poisoning. Nicotine is rapidly absorbed through the skin, and particularly the mucus membranes in the mouth and throat. It smells delicious so could be very tempting for toddlers to eat. Once in the mouth they may not want to swallow it but a lot of damage has already been done just in the mouth.

Also, once poisoned with nicotine it's hard to arrest the process. No point in pumping the stomach or inducing vomiting, it's too late.

I'm all for education about the dangers of nicotine eliquids, quality control measures and child proofing. Comparing nicotine poisoning with toothpaste isn't a good idea I reckon.
    Sadly I know of at least 5 people i work with (clients) in the mental health/disability industry who could very easily end up with toothpaste poisoning, either through basically eating the stuff, or almost always walkng around with a toothbrush in their mouths. Though I agree with the rest of your post though.

What I want to see written on my tombstone is "This is the future home of Ron........".

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post

But i heard 100mg nic is great as shampoo/lubricant and the uranium i get from a mate in the mines is great as a contraceptive device, just keep it in your pocket for a month and no more mouth breathers

AVF Regular
    I thought exactly the same as JenJ "How the hell...", then aussie63 gave one perfectly good explanation how.

Obviously, many things can be misused and abused - even something as seemingly harmless as toothpaste.

I am all for education about products, including possible harmful affects - nicotine juice included. But I strongly say that the education ought to be truthful and accurate. I have no time for the "fear mongering" that some parties use to make a product appear worse than it really is. In my opinion, it is fair to say that nic juice can be harmful if misused. It is fair to say that it is not suitable for use by children (or animals). It is fair to say that it ought to be kept out of the reach of children. However, it is not fair to say, or even imply, that it is in anyway worse than many other common products in the average household.
    margyb, JenJ, spud and 3 others like this.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

Last edited by mavinry4; 05-04-14 at 04:26 PM.
    margyb and JenJ like this.

Just reminding everyone what a world of only prefilled cartomizers would look like:

[VIDEO] Disposable cartomisers Pop Car tires
    margyb likes this.

I have my juice put away in the vape room, but I leave my mod and kayfun out on the table, thing is, I don't know any toddler could actually figure out how to take the atty apart, and actually get to the juice in the tank, even some adults have difficulty with this , (older children could, but by that age they should have been told not to touch it, and would know what a poison is). Childproof caps on juice bottles, warning labels, and a bit of education for those that vape, about putting juice out of reach of children, should be more than enough. There really is no need for the hysteria surrounding ejuice, this is an entirely greed driven political exercise in demonising both vaping and vapers.

Its just more of the same "think of the chilluns" crap, from those that cannot think for themselves.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

I think we need to look at things in the right perspective when we compare one product over another and that they are in fact on par with the same risks and impacts that they have in general, comparing toothpaste with e liquid would always be in favor of e liquid due to the fact toothpaste is in every home and that all children do have access to it all day long unlike e liquid that is hidden away from prying eyes.

Nic Free Since 12th May 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast