Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: e-cigarette explodes and sets fire to barmaid

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S.A. para hills
    Posts
    2,911

    e-cigarette explodes and sets fire to barmaid

    video on-site source: VIDEO & PICS: e-cigarette explodes and sets fire to barmaid (From York Press)

    This is the moment a barmaid narrowly escaped when an e-cigarette exploded in flames in a packed pub and rocketed towards her.

    Shocked Laura Baty, 18, was serving a customer when she heard a huge bang and saw the device shoot in her direction.

    The flames singed her arms and set her dress on fire as she tried to get out of the way.

    The sizzling e-cig - which had been on charge behind the bar - then landed on the floor and scorched the vinyl tiles before burning itself out.


    Part of it also hit at customer at the Buck Inn Hotel in Richmond, North Yorkshire, and left him with a red mark in his stomach.

    Laura said: "I was about to give somebody their change and I heard the bang. I could see the fire coming at me and I felt the heat as I ran away.

    "I started crying hysterically and my arm was all black. My dress caught on fire as I ran away and I just didn't know what was happening.

    "A customer came and took me in to the bathroom to calm me down. She washed down my arm which was all black and I still didn't know what had happened."

    Laura, who has worked at the pub for nearly two years, was badly shaken by the explosion on Saturday.

    She added: "I thought the fuse-box had blown up or a firework had gone off.

    Everybody was just so shocked."

    The e-cigarette belonged to fellow barman Stewart Paterson, 21, who has been trying to quit smoking since December last year.

    He said: "I put the e-cigarette on charge in my iPad charger, which I have done countless times before.

    "I heard a huge bang that sounded like a firework. I turned around to see a ball of fire weaving about.

    "I saw Laura running away and thought somebody had thrown a firework.

    "A punter pointed to the e-cigarette that I had been charging and it was still smoking. It had burnt through the vinyl floor as well.

    "When the battery exploded the end shot across the room and hit one punter in the stomach and left him with a red mark.

    "I just keep thinking what if this had happened while I was charging it at home. I might have been out and the damage could have been horrendous.

    "When I looked back at the footage I saw how close the fireball came to Laura's head. If she was stood a couple of inches to the right she could have been badly hurt."

    Stewart, a student, added: "It was a full pub at the time and we had a local football team in celebrating the end of season. It is lucky that no one else was badly hurt."

    Alyson Down, Community Safety Officer at North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, said: "What would have happened if this occurred when no one was about?

    "The advice we give is to make sure you are nearby if you are charging up any product that requires charging from the mains.

    "A lot of people leave them unattended, but you should never do this.

    "I used to charge my phone up overnight, but now I charge it before I fall asleep in case something like what happened at The Buck in Richmond.

    "We strongly recommend people to not leave devices that are charging up unattended."

    Richmond Fire Officer and Crew Manager Steve Bake, added: "It's very concerning.

    "If that had happened in someone's house, it could have set curtains or furniture ablaze so there is a clearly a big risk here. Especially if someone has no smoke detectors.

    "Although it made a big bang which would wake you up, you might think nothing of it and fall asleep again."

    A spokeswoman for the battery manufacturer said: "We provide clear information on websites and in electronic cigarette starter kits that explain how our batteries should be charged and cared for.

    "We cannot comment on the circumstance of this particular instance or make any comment on the provenance of this battery. However, it does not appear that a dedicated electronic cigarette charger was used.

    "A number of independent organisations, including the fire service, have reiterated warnings that charging lithium batteries incorrectly and failing to take necessary care of these devices can lead to catastrophic failure."

    aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth (NOR)
    Posts
    380
    Can we just be absolutely clear here, any battery can explode while charging. Oh wait we're on a witch-hunt, carry on.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cairns, QLD
    Posts
    165
    The Buck Inn | hotels richmond yorkshire, accommodation richmond yorkshire, bed and breakfast richmond yorkshire, b and b richmond yorkshire, coast to coast richmond, places to stay richmond yorkshire, hotels catterick yorkshire, accommodation catter

    about.jpg
    "Built in a beautiful 16th century Victorian house, the Inn offers a comfortable stay with light airy rooms that create the traditional atmosphere of Richmond."
    Sounds lovely, but I wonder how long the wiring has been in place?

    "Meet the owner and host Gary, a former footballer and Virgin airline crew member. "
    about2.jpg
    Read: Wanna-be playboy, ex hooligan who looks like he'd spend more on trying to look dapper than electrical safety

  4. #4
    Retired Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NE Tasmania
    Posts
    4,375
    "We cannot comment on the circumstance of this particular instance or make any comment on the provenance of this battery. However, it does not appear that a dedicated electronic cigarette charger was used.

    "A number of independent organisations, including the fire service, have reiterated warnings that charging lithium batteries incorrectly and failing to take necessary care of these devices can lead to catastrophic failure."


    The last 2 comments are the most important.
    GirlyPantz, Fatman, lou and 1 others like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    335
    This is from the mirror.co.uk "I put the e-cigarette on charge in my iPad charger, which I have done countless times before"

  6. #6
    Retired Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NE Tasmania
    Posts
    4,375
    An iPad charger would be rated much higher than a 180mAh ecig battery charger... and sudden catastrophic battery "venting" is almost a given.. it's just a matter of time.

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,303
    iPad chargers are 1A, not 500mah like regular chargers.

    There's your problem

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    lou and Whizgig like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Delacombe,Victoria
    Posts
    624
    Charging the battery at 1 amh would have compromised the cells and caused them to swell up and go into melt down, I have seen this happen to people who do not know what they are doing when dealing with Li-ion and Li-po batteries in R?C heli's planes ect. You must use the correct charger at the correct ampage or this will happen, you can not fast charge batteries the must be balance charged at the proper rate. This is not the e cigs fault but the dummy who charged it using an Ipod charger.
    But Note! when you look at how many of these types of batteries are out there in all types of devices and being charge everyday again and again the rate of this happening is very minimal.
    Fatman, spud, maggie and 2 others like this.




    Nic Free Since 12th May 2014

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    5,975
    Oh look cell phones and laptops explode all the time.. nobody really cares it seems...a quick google search brings up tonnes of results

    one for cell phones: Two More iPhone's Explode: How to Prevent Your Battery from Burning | Digital Trends

    one for laptops: Exploding laptop battery sparks apartment fire in New Holland - LancasterOnline: Local News
    lou and Whizgig like this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland






    Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs











  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Vic
    Posts
    166
    i just love the response from the Community safety officer, takes 1/4 the story away from ecigs and on to ANY battery powered device.

    Gotta say this seems more "real jurnalism" if that's a thing anymore, as they contact the vendor and also the comments from the Safety people not just it's an evil ecig lets ban them.

    lets be honest this made headlines because of the security video make it all real.
    spud and lou like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:45 AM.