Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Bad News: E-Cigs Alter Cells A Lot Like Tobacco Does

Bad News: E-Cigs Alter Cells A Lot Like Tobacco Does

my colleague shared this article with me because i am known as vaper head around the office

Bad News: E-Cigs Alter Cells A Lot Like Tobacco Does | Gizmodo Australia

it's amazing how people so easily jump to the negative conclusion when the research itself cannot conclusively determine if it does cause cancer or not. However the fact that it alters our body's cell is a little bit worrying i have to admit

"The cells were altered, in other words, but itís still unclear if those alterations mean that e-cig vapour causes cancer."

That would have to be one of the most poorly written bits of propaganda I've read so far. It says nothing of any value, and simply states the bleeding obvious, than when acted upon by something (could be anything), human cells change. Breathing air changes human cells, living instead of being dead changes human cells, although being dead also causes cell changes. It also drags in all the other ANTZ nonsense and junk science, and tries to pretend these bits of garbage are facts.

Just another "oooohhh scary e-cigs" piece of crap, which is trying very hard to sound like its not promoting an agenda, but fails miserably.

Epic Fail Gizmodo!!!
    Noe, GirlyPantz, jen and 3 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Perhaps the cells were altered in a positive way and this is the next step in our evolution, thus prolonging life and not reducing it as with stinkies. There won't be a definitive study for many, many years.
    jen, spud, maggie and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybum View Post
    Perhaps the cells were altered in a positive way and this is the next step in our evolution, thus prolonging life and not reducing it as with stinkies. There won't be a definitive study for many, many years.
    Who knows? You could very well be right GB, but you'll never know for sure if ANTZ have anything to do with it. There are several studies that show positive thinking, and even a good laugh, can change human cells in positive ways, so why not vaping???
    Whizgig likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    This article is third hand information that appears to have suffered the effects of Chinese Whispers
    Click on the link to "Nature" the science journal that the article is based on and you can then click on the link to the Clinical Cancer Research site that atleast has a basic rundown of how the study was conducted and the results found.

Abstract B16: The effect of e-cigarette exposure on airway epithelial cell gene expression and transformation.

The study analysed both high and low level nicotine levels, the higher levels to mimic tobacco cigarettes, the lower levels to mimic ecigs.
    It was the higher level sample that showed the changes, not the lower level samples.
    Atleast that's how I'm reading it.
    Nevertheless, its terribly written, is void of critical information to evaluate its credibility, and for a so called scientific study seems extremely amateur in its composition of results and description of how it was conducted.
    GirlyPantz, spud, maggie and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    This is all I need to know to continue vaping over smoking;

In other words, while smoking e-cigarettes may harm you a little bit, it almost certainly harms you less than real cigarettes.
    There seems to be complete agreement by all, those adamantly against ecigs right across the spectrum to the rabid pro-vaping crowd.

All the other little criticisms are irrelevant to me because I'm not smoking.
    GirlyPantz, silverx, spud and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    This article is third hand information that appears to have suffered the effects of Chinese Whispers
    Click on the link to "Nature" the science journal that the article is based on and you can then click on the link to the Clinical Cancer Research site that atleast has a basic rundown of how the study was conducted and the results found.

Abstract B16: The effect of e-cigarette exposure on airway epithelial cell gene expression and transformation.

The study analysed both high and low level nicotine levels, the higher levels to mimic tobacco cigarettes, the lower levels to mimic ecigs.
    It was the higher level sample that showed the changes, not the lower level samples.
    Atleast that's how I'm reading it.
    Nevertheless, its terribly written, is void of critical information to evaluate its credibility, and for a so called scientific study seems extremely amateur in its composition of results and description of how it was conducted.
    good point, cant say i know what the article was talking about. but what constitute as high nicotine ecig conditioned media and low one? 16mg or 6mg? or 100mg?
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    and how about the way the cells were exposed to the vapour?
    Oh I'm sure they thoroughly researched inhalation techniques of vapers and ensured their quantities for exposure were an accurate comparison to reality, NOT!!!!!
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    wait wait wait.

It's been known for a few decades that nicotine can alter cell structure. This study basically put an analogue and a ecig side by side and went, "Look! Stuff happens because they both have nic in them!"
    GirlyPantz, spud and Whizgig like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    I shall continue assuming it will give me superpowers.
    Noe, jen, spud and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast