Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: bad news for e cig smokers

AVF Regular

bad news for e cig smokers

E-cigarettes have been getting a bad rap lately. They're not just tacky and overpriced, say the critics, they're actually physically dangerous. A scathing New York Times feature recently discussed how the liquid nicotine capsules used to refill them can easily poison children. And never mind their potential to, well, explode though at least they don't cause people to melt in their chairs when they fall asleep.

But perhaps most potentially damning of all is recent data that suggests e-cigarettes can still cause cancer. A new study published in Clinical Cancer Research reveals that e-cig vapor affects human bronchial cells in "strikingly" similar ways to regular cigarette smoke. It can do so by causing mutations in gene expression, explains team member Avrum Spira, and the findings have prompted researchers to plan further investigation into whether affected bronchial cells will behave more like cancer cells in the future.

"They may be safer [than tobacco], but our preliminary studies suggest that they may not be benign," says Spira.

As VICE's Meghan Neal notes, previous studies have demonstrated that nicotine alone can "promote or exacerbate" certain kinds of cancer, which doesn't bode well for the e-cig industry's hopes to promote their product as a safe and healthy alternative to lighting up. And they may have addictive properties of their own, or at the very least fail to wean people of their nicotine dependencies. Another recent study published in JAMA Internal Medicine found that "although 85% of smokers who used e-cigarettes reported using them to quit, e-cigarette users did not quit more frequently than nonusers." In fact, U.S. "e-cigarette users were less likely to have quit at 7 months than nonusers." Their popularity among youth suggests that even if e-cigarette use doesn't lead to smoking, it can still be a habit on its own.

Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like e-cigarettes aren't the long-awaited panacea to the global tobacco industry, which kills six million people a year according to World Health Organization estimates. That's a damn shame, because we could really use something like this to help people stop smoking. But did anyone really think vaporizing and inhaling chemicals that can easily poison you wouldn't have some drawbacks?

source: There's Bad News for People Who Smoke E-Cigarettes - PolicyMic

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

AVF Regular
    hehehe, awaiting the flames.....

AVF Regular
    My main objection is to the title of this thread.

I am not a smoker anymore!
    GirlyPantz, spud and Aliyah like this.

AVF Regular
    "The lower nicotine concentration was selected to mimic the average plasma nicotine levels in ENDS users and did not demonstrate toxic or anti-proliferative effects on the cells. The higher concentration was chosen to represent the anticipated nicotine levels to which the epithelial cells of smokers are actually exposed. In anchorage independent growth assays, the in vitro correlate of malignant transformation, we found enhanced colony growth in the H3mut-P53/KRAS cells following a 10-day treatment with the high nicotine ECIG- and TCIG-conditioned media compared to the untreated and low nicotine treatment groups."

How low is the low and how high is the high nic levels they tested?
    spud and steve.c like this.

I don't give a toss what they say, they're not cigarettes ... and I don't smoke ... no way imaginable does a MVP ( or most other PVs ) look like a cigarette ...they're Battery Operated Vaping Appliances and have as much in common with tobacco as a sack of potatoes ( imo)
    GirlyPantz, spud, Aliyah and 4 others like this.

srb
    AVF Regular
    Switzerland set to approve prescription heroin as 'safe alternative' for addicts | Mail Online

but this is ok to do, fair dinkum this is getting ridiculous
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    So does this mean the following text is no longer valid?

"There has not been enough research into Ecigs to adequately define them as safe or not"

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Expect to see a lot more of this sort of crap, the big money is starting to feel the bite now, where before it was only a few little nibbles. Vaping is growing and growing fast, soon it will be too big to fight in the time honoured, corrupt ways, that big money is well practised in using. (big money includes all vested interests, governments, pharma, media, tobacco and their parasites). They are going all out in their fear and loathing campaign, (notice how much it has ramped up in the last few months).

What we can do is ignore their laws, (civil disobedience for those that are able to do so, is an effective tool), avoid their laws, (Aussies are very good at this, finding the work around), and work on a grass roots level to get the truth out. These people, big money, own the courts, they own the politicians, (with one or two exceptions, and even those exceptions are scared), and they own the capital, so we have to think outside the box, and those that can, can work inside the system to undermine it.

We can also stop supporting big money, no point railing against big pharma when you buy their products, (unnecessary products not stuff you need to stay alive), no point railing against politicians when you vote them in, (those rusted on to a political ideology and vote for it regardless of the corruption), and no point railing against the stupid laws, when you are too scared to simply disobey them, no point supporting a media company with you cash and eyes, and then complaining when they come out against your values and beliefs.
    susie canasta likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

When i can see the research i'll believe that e'cigs are causing mutation in the way our genes are expressed....mutations happen all the time without the help of outside factors, so the set up of the controls, would be interesting. So much obscurity in this report. I can easily see how some one from the public who doesn't understand much about gene expression can look at this and say "oh my god, mutations, genes....fml" and the researchers can get away with because, technically, there is some truth to it. However, like all bad media, its truth taken out of context.

Anyone have a link to the research?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by srb View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but I work with heroin addicts every day and the current treatment is prescription methadone. Methadone mimics heroin and relieves cravings and withdrawal symptoms but has far more negative side affects, and long term health damage than pharmaceutical grade heroin.

So from my view, prescription heroin makes much more sense than methadone. But hey, they are only junkies so who gives a sh*t right?

Bit like the general attitude to smokers; who cares, they're only stinky, weak willed, cigarette addicts.
    GirlyPantz, Gresh11, spud and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast