• 1 Post By Altered1
  • 3 Post By Noe

Thread: Public health leadership and electronic cigarette users

AVF Regular

Public health leadership and electronic cigarette users

Just saw this linked on Dave Dorns Vaportrails TV
    from here
    Public health leadership and electronic cigarette users

The rise of the electronic cigarette is a consumer-led self-help public health movement, mostly spread by word of mouth, social media and direct point of sale advice at e-cigarette shops, with, until recently, little mass marketing. What other public health initiative could claim so many ‘converts’ in such a short time? This consumer public health movement is all the more remarkable because it has not used health care resources. It has not been a cost to taxpayers—being paid for by the consumer. This consumer-led public health initiative has all the hallmarks of what public health hopes to achieve.
    The core public health mission is to prevent disease, prolong life and promote health. Good public health initiatives work with individuals and communities. The WHO Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion states ‘Health promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve, their health … People cannot achieve their fullest health potential unless they are able to take control of those things which determine their health’.5 This seems to be exactly what electronic cigarette consumers are doing—taking control of things that determine their health. So it is also remarkable that this trend in electronic cigarette use has had little support from public health experts. Public health has yet to engage with this new movement. In many countries the medical and public health response has been negative and overprecautionary. The reasons for this are complex, but for people who have dedicated their lives campaigning against smoking and for an end of the tobacco industry it seems hard to accept that this disruptive innovation might be a solution to smoking. The caution exhibited by public health experts has led to a chasm between them and consumers: evidenced by comments on social media, many e-cigarette consumers see public health as the enemy of health and consumer choice. This should be cause for sober reflection by public health professionals and is an extraordinary situation that needs to be remedied from both sides to maximize the public health potential of safer alternatives to smoking.

AVF Regular
    Times like this I wish that I was a wordsmith. This is what we all think, and know, I am sure. I just don't know what to do!
    JenJ and Olfella like this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

I dnt know if the WA cancer council's full position statement on ecigarettes has been posted before but http://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resources...-statement.pdf

Also this E-cigarettes and the hairshirts of the health lobby | Menzies House is an interesting article, although not updated since 12th march 2014 to reflect the appeal.
    Mathy likes this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

AVF Regular
    Gotta love the comment: "More research is required into the health implications of long-term nicotine use"

It's not like we've got a couple of hundred years worth of data on that from smokers is it? Or is it the fact that we are talking only nicotine use, and not the 4000 other nasties in a smoke

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    …. The caution exhibited by public health experts has led to a chasm between them and consumers: evidenced by comments on social media, many e-cigarette consumers see public health as the enemy of health and consumer choice. This should be cause for sober reflection by public health professionals and is an extraordinary situation that needs to be remedied from both sides to maximize the public health potential of safer alternatives to smoking. Article written by, Gerry V. Stimson - Emeritus Professor, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, London, UK and Visiting Professor, Faculty of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
    He's hit the nail on the head here, except that I'm not sure about the "both sides', as I feel that the consistent lack of listening has lead to an extreme level of frustration from consumers who have been consistently expressing their feelings/thoughts and either receiving no response or a derogatory response.

This Extreme caution needed on electronic cigarettes - Cancer Council Australia, is a classic. Professor writes blog full of every stereotypical incorrect piece of information about PVs, 20 thoughtful and reasonable replies and not a word from the authour.

Then this thought in the thread on Tony Delroy's show

Quote Originally Posted by Raa View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here and put forward a slightly different position.

What I heard was someone who knows only a very little about eCigs who has also been very close to the human suffering that can be caused by smoking and is utterly paranoid that the tobacco companies are trying to find another way to peddle their wares to the detriment of people who are sadly addicted to smoking. I heard quite a bit of compassion in her voice and I also heard some genuine surprise and joy at hearing people saying that they had gotten of smoking and even gotten off nicotine. She should not be put forward as an authority on eCigs but I don't think anyone could suggest that she doesn't have a bit of knowledge of addiction and smoking.

Overall I thought it was a good listen with some very good callers.

I would also say that she is right, I don't know exactly what is in my liquid even as a DIY mixer. But I also don't really know what goes into my meals when I eat out, don't know what goes into most items in my house and absolutely do not trust labeling at supermarkets. I still buy the stuff though.
    I agree with Raa's view as I thought the same way when I first heard her (Prof Renee Buiton) a while ago, that's why I emailed her, but I received no response.

How this chasm is going to be bridged I have NFI, feels like we are trying our little butts off and I don't see a lot of attitude change happening in the public health ranks. Even the guys in the middle like Clive Bates and the person who wrote this article aren't gaining any traction. *sigh*
    Olfella likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    Gotta love the comment: "More research is required into the health implications of long-term nicotine use"

It's not like we've got a couple of hundred years worth of data on that from smokers is it? Or is it the fact that we are talking only nicotine use, and not the 4000 other nasties in a smoke
    When I read that quote I thought; what about the vast and extensive research put into this by the big pharmaceutical corporations to back their Nicotine Replacement Therapies. All seem satisfied that this use of nicotine is perfectly safe. It's available in supermarkets all over the western world and there are thousands of people who have been habitually using nicotine gum for years.

They promote these products by telling people it's not the nicotine in cigarettes that is dangerous to your health.

FFS.
    lozza 82, studiovape and Mathy like this.

AVF Regular
    we have this: Extreme caution needed on electronic cigarettes - Cancer Council Australia

And then we have the other thread about Doctors recommending ecigs. Doctors recommend e-cigarettes

I just want the powers that be to get their act together
    Mathy likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Anyone taking handouts from BP or BT or with vested interests in seeing either profit, should have no voice in the debate on e-cigs.
    Once you remove all of those voices, you are left with a sensible debate, based on real evidence.

The debate isn't really about are e-cigs potentiually dangerous or are they safe, it's about science vs how can we stop these devices from costing us loss of profits?
    tom32, lozza 82 and studiovape like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!