Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: WHO plans e-cigarette offensive

WHO plans e-cigarette offensive

Clive gets stuck into the WHO ...

In summary
    E-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are part of the solution to the ‘epidemic’ of disease and premature death caused by smoking, they are not part of the problem
    The WHO is in danger of becoming an agent in causing the very harms it is trying to prevent and obstructing people’s personal efforts to control their own risks.
    If the WHO is serious about tackling the one billion smoking related deaths it needs to find a way to encourage ENDS and SLT with enlightened regulation, not suffocate them with regulation – or step aside
    To extent it suppresses demand for ENDS and SLT, WHO is providing de facto protection for cigarette sales and so prolonging and deepening the smoking epidemic
    If the WHO wishes to meet the non-communicable diseases (NCD) target to reduce tobacco use by 30% by 2025 – a laudable but ambitious goal – it needs to include ENDS and SLT as part of the solution, not part of the problem. The target is there to reduce disease, and that is what matters to WHO’s broader mission. If ENDS are included in this reduction target, it will not be met – and will be missed by some distance. If ENDS are used to meet the target, there is a chance of success.
    The risks of ENDS and SLT are not just a little lower than smoking, they are 95-100% lower. So far we see little risk from e-cigarettes or modern smokeless tobacco products – at least risks that are comparable with everyday hazards, like consuming coffee. WHO does itself, global health and ordinary citizens no service by commissioning research from sources that will reflect its own biases. We will return to this.
    WHO plans e-cigarette offensive « The counterfactual

And Puddlecote adds his 2c ....

With regard to the WHO's proposals on e-cigs, this is precisely what will be happening again in Moscow when the massed ranks of highly-paid tobacco control executives meet for their latest exercise in truth-avoidance and unaccountability. As Bates explains.
    The people involved in the bureau and secretariat are supposed to be neutral civil servants serving the decision makers, who are national governments and ‘state parties’ to the FCTC. But on this evidence and all that has come before, they are not acting that way, but betraying crude ideological biases of politicised officials with a little self-serving power but no accountability.
    To illustrate this, who do you think will be representing the UK's interests as bound signatories to the WHO's FCTC? Well, Deborah Arnott of ASH attended the previous one in South Korea but can't be trusted to object strongly to the WHO I reckon - for a start ASH has changed its focus from smoking to nicotine and, besides, I'm sure being a black sheep at the WHO is probably more than her massively-salaried and uniquely enhanced pensioned job's worth.

That would then leave us beholden to 'neutral civil servants' like Jeremy Mean of the MHRA, an organisation whose forerunner was described in 2003 as having "a stated objective to facilitate the development of the UK pharmaceutical industry"; and which is still "funded entirely by the pharmaceutical industry". So, with his organisation being so far up pharma's backside that he cleans their teeth every morning, there's not much hope of Jeremy objecting there either.

All we can do, then, is to keep on the side of the angels - as we have always been - and carry on pointing out the deeply corrupt nature of the WHO and its preference for pharmaceutical bottom lines over and above what it claims to care for. Because it has certainly never troubled itself with concerns such as democracy or informed choice, and now doesn't even seem to be bothered about health.
    The Most Corrupt And Anti-Democratic Movement In Post-War History | **** Puddlecote

AVF Regular
    Electronic Nicotine Deliver Systems (ENDS) and smokeless tobacco (SLT).
    avtek likes this.

I just wish folk would stop calling them e-cigarettes, the very sound of it gives vaping an unhealthy connotation, I 'll refer to them as e-vapes until someone comes up with something 'cool'
    Robray, spud, sc_rufctr and 1 others like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I think we can safely say that right at this point Vaping is heading towards BIG time news. I just hope that non smokers realize that this is not just about Vaping or Vapers. If they can do this to us, they can do it to almost anything.
    I don't like the fact that the media are not looking at us objectively and are brainwashing the sheep.
    Really negative story on the front page of the MX Paper that thousands read going home from work....and I was walking around town vaping...started to get some dirty looks or maybe I was being paranoid but I felt almost GUILTY...and its f**ked I felt that way!!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    I just wish folk would stop calling them e-cigarettes, the very sound of it gives vaping an unhealthy connotation, I 'll refer to them as e-vapes until someone comes up with something 'cool'
    That's great except the "e" stands for electronic & nowhere on a mech mod is there anything electronic. There's a battery, which supplies DC power, a connection to an atomiser, which has a heating element & a switch, none of which are electronics.
    No diodes, no resistors, no silicon chips, nothing but an electrical circuit.
    So describing what many of use use as an e-cig or even as an ENDS is incorrect, personal vaporiser covers both electronic & mech type devices & the use of PV should be more widespread.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy VanZeno View Post
    I think we can safely say that right at this point Vaping is heading towards BIG time news. I just hope that non smokers realize that this is not just about Vaping or Vapers. If they can do this to us, they can do it to almost anything.
    I don't like the fact that the media are not looking at us objectively and are brainwashing the sheep.
    Really negative story on the front page of the MX Paper that thousands read going home from work....and I was walking around town vaping...started to get some dirty looks or maybe I was being paranoid but I felt almost GUILTY...and its f**ked I felt that way!!
    Ok let's make you feel better about yourself
    Think of it like this, if you were smoking, instead of vaping, you would have been polluting the atmosphere with smoke & increasing CO & CO2 in the atmosphere, causing some environmental impact.
    By using a PV, you were releasing what is essentially steam into the atmosphere, which is beneficial for the environment.
    Stop reading the paper, which only reports sensationalised crap anyway & is written on what used to be a tree, which if it was still a tree would be filtering out some of the pollutants & providing the planet with oxygen.

You don't have to be a "greeny" to make the world a better place, you just have to do what you know is better for yourself
    BlackDog, steve.c, maggie and 2 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    That's great except the "e" stands for electronic & nowhere on a mech mod is there anything electronic. There's a battery, which supplies DC power, a connection to an atomiser, which has a heating element & a switch, none of which are electronics.
    No diodes, no resistors, no silicon chips, nothing but an electrical circuit.
    So describing what many of use use as an e-cig or even as an ENDS is incorrect, personal vaporiser covers both electronic & mech type devices & the use of PV should be more widespread.
    Unfortunately the battery uses electricity.

I like 'electrofag' but it still evokes the smoking connotation.

AVF Regular
    I'm starting to feel like it's time to start prioritising where I spend my energy. Quite frankly WHO is a joke and I'm sure that this stuff just gets released in order to waste people's time and energy. The sooner there's a coordinated association on the ground the better as far as I'm concerned, then we can start to tackle relevant issues, at the grass roots level, 'cos I don't think we're going to win the global war

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast