Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Seems C.C. Qld has similar attitude to C.C.W.A.

Seems C.C. Qld has similar attitude to C.C.W.A.

Being a Qld'er I''ve been Curious to find out what The Cancer Council of Qld's attitude to ecigarettes was... So I went looking on their website and facebook page and didn't see any real reference..... However I came across a newspaper article from the 'Frazer Coast Chronicle', dated the 5th of March 2014 Is there any such thing as a good e-cigarette? | Fraser Coast Chronicle

Quote " CCQ spokeswoman Katie Clift said the risks of using e-cigarettes was still unknown and widespread use could be harmful to the community.

"Electronic cigarettes (those containing nicotine, and those containing substances other than nicotine) have not been tested for quality, safety or performance by the Therapeutic Goods Administration," Ms Clift said.

"A ban on e-cigarettes will further help to denormalise smoking and promote smoke-free lifestyles." So I guess they have a similar attitude to C.C. W.A.
    margyb, Old Dog, spud and 1 others like this.

What I want to see written on my tombstone is "This is the future home of Ron........".

AVF Regular
    And in Tasmania

They are basically telling us to keep smoking cause they know what cigarettes do to us

Cancer Council TasmaniaNo evidence e-cigarettes are safe | Cancer Council Tasmania

Director of Cancer Control and Quit services, Dr Kathryn Terry, said there was no evidence that e-cigarettes were effective in helping people to quit or that they were safer than normal cigarettes, despite marketing claims by their manufacturers.

Im starting to think that all these people in the so called health sector have been to scs seminars etc because they are all using the exact same excuses for being against them. I think they are just toeing the line and havent bothered to look any further or find out for themselves.
    cancer is big business too and the pharma companies make rediculous amounts of money off things like chemo drugs so would be closely tied up with cancer councils. every time someone come up with a low cost treatment for any type of cancer, it gets maligned as unproven, snake oil and then banned.
    margyb, Old Dog, lozza 82 and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie63 View Post
    Being a Qld'er I''ve been Curious to find out what The Cancer Council of Qld's attitude to ecigarettes was... So I went looking on their website and facebook page and didn't see any real reference..... However I came across a newspaper article from the 'Frazer Coast Chronicle', dated the 5th of March 2014 Is there any such thing as a good e-cigarette? | Fraser Coast Chronicle

Quote " CCQ spokeswoman Katie Clift said the risks of using e-cigarettes was still unknown and widespread use could be harmful to the community.

"Electronic cigarettes (those containing nicotine, and those containing substances other than nicotine) have not been tested for quality, safety or performance by the Therapeutic Goods Administration," Ms Clift said.

"A ban on e-cigarettes will further help to denormalise smoking and promote smoke-free lifestyles." So I guess they have a similar attitude to C.C. W.A.
    The words in bold prove she's an idiot with no real legally provable argument against Vaping. If "they" used those words in court "they" wouldn't be successful. (lets hope they continue to be so stupid)

The points specifically.

could be harmful... Which could also mean not harmful.

have not been tested... So lets test them!

will further help How can a ban help when E-Cigs are a proven way out of Tobacco use?

The fact is e-cigs exist and because smokers now have a real workable option they further undermine smoking tobacco so banning them is a good idea?

EDIT: It would actually be more effective at denormalising smoking if "they" promoted the use of e-cigs but I truley believe they are simply scared of e-cigs and what will happened down the road if they do.

The great unknown??? ~~~~ "Control issues" come from the fear of what would happen without "Control"
    Last edited by sc_rufctr; 21-04-14 at 03:58 PM.
    margyb, Old Dog, lozza 82 and 4 others like this.
    Peter

My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie63 View Post

Aussie, I found the same with the Lung Foundation Site here: Lung Foundation Australia
    Even though they emphasise the importance of smoking cessation they make no mention of ecigarettes.
    So.....they copped a note from me asking why there was no reference together with links to several of the documents showing benefits.
    We'll see what their response is next week I hope.
    Old Dog, lozza 82, JenJ and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Here is a brochure from The Lung Foundation ref COPD and smoking cessation. http://lungfoundation.com.au/wp-cont...-a-relapse.pdf

Edit: This brochure emphasises the importance to quit cigarettes but only references NRT and other interventions which we all know have little success.
    Last edited by Rebel1; 21-04-14 at 05:09 PM.

AVF Regular
    Which reminds me... I must take that full donation jar back to them. Except this time I won't be taking an empty one back with me.
    I'm buggered if they'll get another red cent out of ourcustomers or ourselves; or anymore free labour.
    Wildlife, local SLSC, animals and homeless get a better crack at the givers, too.
    margyb, Old Dog, Cath Mort and 3 others like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Director of Cancer Control and Quit services, Dr Kathryn Terry, said there was no evidence that e-cigarettes were effective in helping people to quit or that they were safer than normal cigarettes, despite marketing claims by their manufacturers.
    This 'pat' response by the various organisations is not going to bear close scrutiny when the population is accurately informed nor will it persuade a court of inquiry when actual experience contradicts the assertions of such pre-conceived, ill-informed and blatantly inaccurate statements.

Regardless of the "marketing claims by their manufacturers" as referred to by Dr Kathryn Terry, it would appear the various cancer councils place no value in the countless testimonials of end users. Are we, the people, irrelevant? It would also appear they are looking, with tunnel vision, in one direction and yet again falling into the time-dishonoured, institutionalised error of those who came before them. With due respect of the work undertaken by the various cancer councils.....given the overwhelming magnitude of the positive benefits of the tobacco alternative currently under discussion, do any of these organisations, or individuals within, have the courage and foresight to pursue their own line of inquiry and not rely solely on a 'memo' which lands on their desk from time to time?

Why does this saga continually remind me of the story of Lorenzo's Oil and the reluctance and blatant resistance of organisations to accept the facts when they were shown they had been looking in the wrong direction for the solution and had in effect found themselves working against the 'breakthrough' when it was revealed!

Once again, I include a quote from a Wikipedia article in reference to 'Silent Spring'. Why you may ask....? Look at the pattern.

Silent Spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Carson accused the chemical industry of spreading disinformation, and public officials of accepting industry claims unquestioningly.
    margyb, Cath Mort, spud and 2 others like this.

By the look of it these days, about the only government linked group that is going to get my support at the moment is the D.B.T.F. https://www.facebook.com/DropBearTaskForce?fref=ts
    spud and Josh K-T like this.

What I want to see written on my tombstone is "This is the future home of Ron........".

AVF Regular
    Why dont they get the friggin TGA to test the bastards properly and then they can stop using their bullshit excuse they have not been tested.
    But the TGA will say they contain arsenic or some shit like the FDA. Maggot pricks.
    spud, byronss, sc_rufctr and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast