Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Michelle
  • 1 Post By Fawks

Thread: Lung cancer: still the leading cancer killer

AVF Regular

Lung cancer: still the leading cancer killer

from thewest.com.au

Cancer Council WA, which announced $3.2 million in research grants yesterday, said the report showed signs of progress.

Director of education and research Terry Slevin said though lung cancer deaths were reducing in men, they were increasing in women largely because of changed smoking patterns 10 to 20 years ago.

"We're also seeing the lowest overall rate of new cancers in a decade among men and we'll need to see if that is a persisting trend," he said.

But deaths from pancreatic cancer remained an issue because it was the fourth most common cause of cancer death and was moving up the ladder.

"Despite reductions in smoking rates, which should also be driving down rates of cancer of the pancreas, we're not making the progress we'd hope for," Mr Slevin said.

Well Mr Slevin, perhaps your $3.2M could be better spent ?????

AVF Regular
    call me a tin foil hatter, but i reckon there's cures for cancer out there 'they' are just not allowing them out.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that lung cancer is not a smoking related cancer as half the population to get it have never smoked.

However, emphusema (sorry can't be bothered looking up the correct spelling) is 100% smoking related.

Quote Originally Posted by supervaper View Post
    from thewest.com.au

Cancer Council WA, which announced $3.2 million in research grants yesterday, said the report showed signs of progress.

Director of education and research Terry Slevin said though lung cancer deaths were reducing in men, they were increasing in women largely because of changed smoking patterns 10 to 20 years ago.

"We're also seeing the lowest overall rate of new cancers in a decade among men and we'll need to see if that is a persisting trend," he said.

But deaths from pancreatic cancer remained an issue because it was the fourth most common cause of cancer death and was moving up the ladder.

"Despite reductions in smoking rates, which should also be driving down rates of cancer of the pancreas, we're not making the progress we'd hope for," Mr Slevin said.

Well Mr Slevin, perhaps your $3.2M could be better spent ?????
    susie canasta likes this.

AVF Regular
    That may be true at some level but IME generally doctors do their best for their patients.

However the issues are the types of treatment offered to the patient. Often the options are chosen in part by long term "cost" and subsequently "return" to the medical profession as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    call me a tin foil hatter, but i reckon there's cures for cancer out there 'they' are just not allowing them out.
    --------------------------------

Meanwhile, Cancer has always been with us and will continue to be into the future.
    With research treatments may get better but unfortunately even super fit tea toting vegetarians get cancer and that's just the way it is.

Right Now... The number one killer of adult males in Australia is obesity and the diseases it causes and I'm afraid there is no easy answer to that problem.
    Peter

My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    I think you need to understand what cancer is first...
    sc_rufctr likes this.