Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fascinating read - ecigarette-politics.com - What Are E-Cigarettes ?

AVF Regular

Fascinating read - ecigarette-politics.com - What Are E-Cigarettes ?

A very interesting read indeed
    Robray, margyb, YoGI and 1 others like this.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    seems reasonable.
    3. The way ecigs work far better in the real world than in clinical trials, a concept so difficult to grasp for researchers that they need to deny it, especially as this is the direct opposite of the licensed therapies that pay their wages

At April 2014, the latest data shows that there are over two million UK vapers and one-third are ex-smokers. These results are from ASH UK surveys and R West's Smoking Toolkit surveys, which are considered accurate due to their longitudinal component and alignment with other data (and also, it must be admitted, that since the sources are core tobacco control organisations, anything beneficial to ecigs is probably correct - and the revelation that a third of ecig users have quit smoking is significantly higher than expected).
    take that NRT.

]6⁹.12[

I don't think that having ex-smokers being only one third of 2 million vapers is a good thing, tbh. If that is indeed correct. I haven't read the link, just what is quoted above.

That suggests to me that around 660,000 people who had never smoked before, took up vaping.

Something not right there. How many vapers on this forum never smoked prior to taking up vaping?

I can feel a gateway claim coming on. Maybe even a "think of the chillun" moment. It certainly doesn't sound beneficial to vaping though, imo.
    sc_rufctr likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    I don't think that having ex-smokers being only one third of 2 million vapers is a good thing, tbh. If that is indeed correct. I haven't read the link, just what is quoted above.

That suggests to me that around 660,000 people who had never smoked before, took up vaping.

Something not right there. How many vapers on this forum never smoked prior to taking up vaping?

I can feel a gateway claim coming on. Maybe even a "think of the chillun" moment. It certainly doesn't sound beneficial to vaping though, imo.
    No, I think what it means is that two thirds are still dual using. Not that two thirds were non smokers to start with. I baulked at that at first too.

ETA: Which means that the efficacy of vaping as a method of quitting is way better than approved NRT at 5-7%....compared to vaping at 33%.
    Last edited by JenJ; 05-05-14 at 02:44 AM.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Smoking In England | Welcome

and download ppt at bottom of page from UKNSCC - UK National Smoking Cessation Conference

No gateway

This is what Australia anti tobacco whacks off to, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....3320Jan%202013
    It's really high tax that have had the most effect in the past few years imo.

in Australia, 22million people. approx 18% smoke.
    Lets say $10 tax on a pack to make up for people who smoke under a pack a day
    Money from tax per year
    $14,454,000,000
    Last edited by sushiaddiction; 05-05-14 at 09:26 AM.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    This is indeed all very encouraging and optimistic, especially that Australia is more likely to follow the UK example than any other. The question is though why in such case out of the millions in UK only just above 18,000 signed the EFVI? Is it the demographics? Are older people less likely to be activists (not to say militants)? Are they less likely to use Internet? Judging by my example, the answer to these questions is a resounding no. So is it general apathy?

Quote Originally Posted by EwaZofia View Post
    This is indeed all very encouraging and optimistic, especially that Australia is more likely to follow the UK example than any other. The question is though why in such case out of the millions in UK only just above 18,000 signed the EFVI? Is it the demographics? Are older people less likely to be activists (not to say militants)? Are they less likely to use Internet? Judging by my example, the answer to these questions is a resounding no. So is it general apathy?
    It may be that it's so common there that a lot of the people don't need to go to the internet to order supplies and get information, in which case they just weren't aware of it. I know that in the decades I smoked, I was never in a cigarette forum (even after the internet was widespread). Even in Australia I'm sure there are more vapers that aren't a member of this (or any other) forum than vapers that are.
    CMB likes this.

AVF Regular
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular
    "To activate the device, the user will have to enter a code. The inhaler will be programmed to deliver a certain amount of drug and then turn off. When the device is returned to the case, which is required after each dose to activate it for the next dose, data on the patient's usage will be downloaded and available to be viewed electronically by the prescribing physician."

I can see this as a delivery device for some really potent drugs, but nicotine? Imagine if coffee drinking was regulated like this.

"But what began as a quest to develop a better e-smoke has broadened into an ambitious effort to design a new medical device: an inhaler that delivers measured doses of nicotine to help people quit smoking. ...

If successful, the inhaler could become the first new smoking-cessation product to emerge from the e-cigarette field and would compete with products such as GlaxoSmithKline Plc's nicotine gum and Pfizer Inc's antismoking drug, Chantix.
    "

?????

What a strange article ........ there are already nicotine inhalers, 'e-smokes' are already cessation devices regardless of whether that is officially acknoledged or not and BP have already got some huge competition.
    Last edited by lulu68; 05-05-14 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast