Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What body regulates mobile phones and other small battery operated devices?

Retired Account

What body regulates mobile phones and other small battery operated devices?

I'm sure it's not the TGA, right? So, is there a government or private body who examines these types of devices to ensure their safety?
    On topic for this subforum - What I'm getting at here is that the TGA wouldn't necessarily be the correct organisation to regulate the hardware, would they? Especially if ecigs are electronic consumer products rather than tobacco products or pharmaceutical products?

AVF Regular
    I like your thinking, but I'm not sure it's a viable avenue.

For example, tasers are small consumer electronic devices, but are regulated based on their potential use rather than the components from which they are constituted.

[edited for poor English]

AVF Regular
    mrsgruffy likes this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    Isn't that like saying whoever is in charge of fire safety should do cigarettes?
    Altered1 and INSERGENT like this.

Retired Account
    The path I'm heading down is whether the hardware should be handled separately to the eliquids.
    It could be a completely silly thought, but I'm a fan of exploring unusual or tangential ideas.
    Getting a ceritification on a battery tube is probably a lot cheaper than getting something approved by the TGA, and besides which, ecigs aren't pharmaceuticals and unless a vendor wants to claim some sort of therapeutic benefit, they aren't even the relevant authority for the hardware, are they?

Are cigarettes regulated? If so, by who? If you have some sort of evidence, that would be preferable :0

I'd just sell mods as per normal, and for the aussie market specifically I'd just plop this on top and call it a torch.
    What are they gonna do, ban 510 connections?
    tetsky likes this.
    DONT DRIP AND DRIVE!

AVF Regular
    It's regulated by the state and federal governments rather than a specific body Tobacco Control in South Australia > Legislation

AVF Regular
    Msgruf your thinking exactly what I was thinking from the minute the WA saga started.
    It's a smoking device, not a tobacco product
    The tobacco act confirms this
    Mods without any top device are just a button activated battery discharger
    Noe and spyro are on the right track with the torch thinking
    Now all we have to come up with is an alternate use of atomisers
    That's a bit more difficult, but not impossible
    Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 06-05-14 at 10:28 PM.
    tetsky likes this.

AVF Regular
    ACMA = Australian Communications and Media Authority. I'd say that's a 'no'

TGA would be more the juice side not the device side. Which ever organisation passes any electronic consumer items which would most likely be a certain international and Australian standard will be who you want but I'm not certain which org it is.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I was surprised by ACMA too:

The Australian Communications and Media Authority’s (the ACMA) electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) regulatory arrangement specifies requirements for the supply of a wide range of electrical and electronic devices.

Under these arrangements, the supplier in Australia (importer or Australian manufacturer) must ensure their products meet mandatory technical standards. Suppliers of devices covered by the EMC arrangement must also meet applicable record keeping requirements in respect of devices supplied to the market.

Certain devices must be labelled with the compliance label to illustrate compliance with the applicable standards.

Battery powered devices are generally low risk devices that must comply with the applicable technical standard, but are not required to be labelled.

Battery-powered device has a particular meaning. A battery-powered device is a device that is not capable of being connected to an external power supply.

A battery-powered device is intended to include any device where the battery is housed internally within the device. Examples include items such as battery operated toys, calculators and wrist watches.
    mrsgruffy likes this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast