Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: National Heart Foundation joins forces with Cancer Council

Unhappy National Heart Foundation joins forces with Cancer Council

The National Heart Foundation's logo has, in the past week, been added to Cancer Council Australia's Position Statement - Electronic Cigarettes (updated 9 May). Position statement - Electronic cigarettes - National Cancer Prevention Policy

The Heart Foundation's name had been included in a previous (cached) version (updated 30 April) Position statement - Electronic cigarettes - National Cancer Prevention Policy

Pretty sure the Heart Foundation's inclusion has been fairly recent (it wasn't there, last I looked) but, unfortunately, previous versions of that page have not been captured on archive.org. I was unable to find mention of ecigs on the National Heart Foundation's website.

Given this latest development, I will be cancelling donations to the National Heart Foundation, with a fulsome explanation for the reason.
    Noe, mathsguy and susie canasta like this.

Gigdamnit...and here I was hoping for a heart tick of approval on my e-juice.
    SmokeHead and susie canasta like this.

oh well
    when it comes to our health, we are alone and they are the enemy.
    it looks like soon we will have to break the law to stay healthy, no worries, we'll survive it.
    susie canasta likes this.
    DONT DRIP AND DRIVE!

AVF Regular
    So basically they want them to go away. Achieved by lobbying to have all analog restrictions made applicable, plus outright ban on nic, unless in a TGA approved device.

So pharma wrote it and handed it to them?

Watch the shelves for the new 'Inhalatoriconometer**' now with puff of smoke* feature. Only $349.95 plus $34.95 per 12 puff refill.

* very small, inoffensive, no smell, only to be used in your house under a blanket at night when the neighbours aren't home and with proper paperwork filed 12 week prior
    ** meter refers to goverment wireless monitor of puffs and use of smoke feature via gps chip

lou, oxey, susie canasta and 1 others like this.

Hypocrites. They are all joining forces regardless of real science. Money and agenda the contributing factor

No adverse effects on blood and oxygen supply to the heart by electronic cigarette use

[
    B]Electronic cigarettes: no adverse effects on blood and oxygen supply to the heart[/B]

Electronic cigarette use does not cause any immediate adverse effects on coronary circulation and oxygen supply to the heart, according to a new study presented today in the European Society of Cardiology annual congress in Amsterdam.

Researchers at Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, lead by principle investigator Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos, evaluated the effects of electronic cigarette use on the maximal ability of the coronary arteries to supply with blood and oxygen the heart itself. They recruited 60 participants, 30 smokers and 30 electronic cigarette users. Measurement of maximal coronary blood flow was performed in smokers before and after smoking 2 cigarettes and, on a separate day, after using an electronic cigarette with 18mg/ml nicotine concentration for 15 minutes. In electronic cigarette users, coronary circulation was evaluated before and after using the same electronic cigarette device for 15 minutes.

“This is the first study that has examined the effects of electronic cigarette use on coronary circulation”, said leading researcher Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos. “We know that smoking has immediate adverse effects, lowering the ability of the coronary arteries to deliver blood to the heart, and our purpose was to test whether electronic cigarette use has similar effects”, he added.

After smoking 2 cigarettes, the researchers observed a 16% reduction in maximal coronary blood flow and a 19% elevation in resistance to flow. However, after electronic cigarette use, no difference in coronary blood flow and resistance was observed compared to the baseline measurement. “The results are impressive and indicate that, unlike tobacco, electronic cigarette use does not affect the oxygenation of the heart”, said Dr Farsalinos. “However, we must be cautious and make clear that this does not mean that there are no implications from long-term use. It is currently impossible to evaluate the effects of long-term use but currently available evidence strongly suggests that electronic cigarettes are by far less harmful alternatives compared to tobacco cigarettes.”

Public health authorities all over the world are evaluating the regulatory status of electronic cigarettes. Lately, the European Commission has proposed a medicinal regulation. Dr Farsalinos said: “Acknowledging the significant potential of electronic cigarettes as smoking alternatives and based on the scientific evidence which clearly indicated that they are much safer, it is important that health authorities will regulate these products in a way that will promote rather than restrict their availability and use by smokers who are unable to quit with currently approved medical methods.”

mathsguy, brookesy and lou like this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

I think I'm slowly surrendering to the fact that there are people who can look at the facts and think for themselves, and people who simply can't, and rely on television to tell them what to do. And the former will always have an advantage in life, because that's just how life is and there's nothing you can do about it. When I was young and probably stupid I also used to think that societies have some sort of mechanism to determine what is good for them and then go ahead enforce it. Now I think this mechanism is broken, if it ever existed in the first place. Vested interests simply have better access to power than people. It's sad that I'm thinking like this in Australia, because I actually picked this country to live in.
    mathsguy, AstroBoy, lou and 1 others like this.
    DONT DRIP AND DRIVE!

AVF Regular
    the power of BP is immense
    so big its almost beyond comprehension
    the simple fact they have the CC & NHF on puppet strings, even when the basic facts directly contradict their whole existence, just reinforces this massive power.
    tom32, mathsguy, brookesy and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    looks to me like regulations will be pushed aside for total bans instead

AVF Regular
    i would like to see a "rest of the story" opinion on this, can someone forward this ?

In the 80`s the foundation would give companies the tick of death for $50K, Didn't matter what they sold. After they got a bad name for it, they changed the game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast