Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What Public Transport Victoria says about e-cigarettes...

What Public Transport Victoria says about e-cigarettes...

Hi all,

New to vaping (2.5 months in), thought I'd share with the community the response I received from Public Transport Victoria regarding vaping on public transport:

Dear xxxxx,

I acknowledge receipt of your feedback regarding the No Smoking legislation for public transport and the use of vaporiser or E cigarette.

I have passed your comments on to the our Legal and Governance department and I am informed that Public Transport Victoria's (PTV) position on this is that the regulation prohibits "smoking" and electronic cigarettes operate by emitting a vapour, not smoke.

PTV's understanding of the public health aspects of traditional cigarettes and electronic cigarettes is that secondary smoke from traditional cigarettes presents a hazard to bystanders whereas electronic cigarettes do not present such a hazard.

PTV suggests that if you need more information regarding electronic cigarettes the Victorian Department of Health website has some useful general information.

Thank you for contacting us with your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Melissa
    Customer Complaints Officer
    Public Transport Victoria
    Ref: xxxxxxxx

Public Transport Victoria (PTV) may collect personal information in the process of providing customer feedback. PTV may then use this information to contact customers as part of a survey of the feedback process. Any information collected by or on behalf of PTV is subject to PTV Privacy Policy Home - Public Transport Victoria

If you are not satisfied with the outcome and wish to take this matter further, you can escalate your complaint to the Customer Advocate at Public Transport Victoria for review by phone on Freecall 1800 800 007, by email at <customer.advocate@ptv.vic.gov.au>, or in writing to: Customer Advocate, Public Transport Victoria, PO Box 4724, Melbourne Vic 3001. Please ensure that you provide your case reference number for administrative purposes. Further details are available at <www.ptv.vic.gov.au>.

Alternatively, you may raise the matter directly with the Public Transport Ombudsman by phone on Freecall 1800 466 865, by email at enquiries@ptovic.com.au, or by fax on 8623 2100. Letters can be addressed to the Public Transport Ombudsman at PO Box 538, Collins Street West, Melbourne Vic 8007. Further details about the Public Transport Ombudsman's role and services are available at <www.ptovic.com.au>.

The regulation prohibits "smoking" and electronic cigarettes operate by emitting a vapour, not smoke.

PTV's understanding of the public health aspects of traditional cigarettes and electronic cigarettes is that secondary smoke from traditional cigarettes presents a hazard to bystanders whereas electronic cigarettes do not present such a hazard.

Common sense and speaking the truth is a wonderful attribute, thankyou PTV
    sc_rufctr, Browny and imcdw like this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

AVF Regular
    But just remember doing things like vaping in restaurants on planes in airports ect ect. Is an underlying factor to why all the vaping related trouble is happening over in the states at the moment

It only takes a handful to ruin it for everybody else

Sent via Vape Signal
    Browny and imcdw like this.

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnaz View Post
    But just remember doing things like vaping in restaurants on planes in airports ect ect. Is an underlying factor to why all the vaping related trouble is happening over in the states at the moment

It only takes a handful to ruin it for everybody else

Sent via Vape Signal
    I understand your sentiment, but I can't completely agree with it. Surely. if nobody ever saw a vaper than nobody would oppose vaping. It would be as if vaping didn't exist. Well, it does exist and the number of vapers is increasing steadily all over the world. I agree that you cannot vape everywhere, it's more like good manners than anything else. At the same time we cannot be subject to the same restrictions as we were when we were smokers. It would be irrational, as aptly presented in the letter which started this thread.
    Gresh11, Olfella and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    Why? Haven't people learnt yet. Like shit isn't bad enough already someone else to poke now.
    marty, 308hjute, ssstahly and 1 others like this.

They'll have a meeting today about what to write in the public announcement concerning the ban and penalty rates for using ecigs.

Last edited by marty; 21-05-14 at 08:09 AM.

DONT DRIP AND DRIVE!

AVF Regular
    I was vaping on a tram stop in front of metcops this morning on my way into work.

They watched me and did absolutely nothing about it.

The key IMHO is to not exhale any vapor, if you vape like that you can * in theory* vape practically anywhere without repercussion. (aside from planes of course)

when you begin to exhale even simply vapor, you get lots of looks and people cough toward you as if your actually smoking something.
    maggie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertylesh View Post
    I was vaping on a tram stop in front of metcops this morning on my way into work.

The key IMHO is to not exhale any vapor, if you vape like that you can * in theory* vape practically anywhere without repercussion. (aside from planes of course)

when you begin to exhale even simply vapor, you get lots of looks and people cough toward you as if your actually smoking something.
    Personally, i treat vaping like smoking... If a specific public place doesn't allow smoking, then i don't vape there... IMO its just common courtesy & why poke the bear...
    bents and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertylesh View Post

Breathe in after you toke, tell any nosey fucks it's a (new-age fandangled) ventolin inhaler and you're home free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast