Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By sassy

Thread: At what point do health authorities become culpable for supressing e-cigarettes?

AVF Regular

At what point do health authorities become culpable for supressing e-cigarettes?

Given the growing and widely accepted international evidence base of harm reduction due to higher e-cig use and lower tobacco use in countries around the world where e-cigs are available and/or promoted, there will come a point at which it is clear our local authorities should have made e-cigs readily available, rather than trying to suppress them for ideological reasons. And have/or should have known so.

Ignorance is not a defence, and I think the inflection point is imminent.

At this time there will be enormous opportunity for a class action by all current and former smokers affected by the suppression policies which caused them to continue smoking cigarettes for years longer than their counterparts in more enlightened countries. Billions of dollars in health costs according to the government's own calculations.

I know a good lawyer.

Whilst I don't disagree, look at the lawsuits BT have had imposed on them and the outcomes. I wouldn't be holding my breath.

AVF Regular
    at the same point they become liable for letting tobacco companies sell tobacco

Remind's me of the old song "money make the world go round, world go round......"
    You would have to appreciate those countries around the world that rely on tobacco,
    Even at home, the vast amounts of money in taxes from cigarettes, our government alone wouldn't buy into anything that disrupted their cash flow
    Morals fly out the window when these large sums are threatened...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dvietrod View Post
    Remind's me of the old song "money make the world go round, world go round......"
    You would have to appreciate those countries around the world that rely on tobacco,
    Even at home, the vast amounts of money in taxes from cigarettes, our government alone wouldn't buy into anything that disrupted their cash flow
    Morals fly out the window when these large sums are threatened...
    E-Cigs are Chinese - FTA fixes that bit

Taxes are not the 'imminent' problem that you might think - Government policy has in the past always dictated that tobacco tax revenues are constant regardless of the number of users of tobacco. (pre Rudd mental breakdown - this effectively means that fags would cost around $3 million per stick for the last man smoking)

I know what you are saying dvietrod and I think you are right.
    Unless vapers prepare for regulation and taxation then vaping will be killed off.

( Then we can kill off all the dirty, stinking, lying, sleazy, scumbag politicians at the ballot box in revenge)
    SRY - freudian slip
    Last edited by TrueNews; 23-05-14 at 02:37 AM.

AVF Regular
    gone and hopefully forgotten
    Last edited by fuzzjunky; 01-06-14 at 01:42 PM.

The only health they seem concerned with is the health of the ATO.