Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By marty
  • 1 Post By Rynxa

Thread: How Sad? Journal Article Needs to Remind Tobacco Control Researchers to Be Honest

How Sad? Journal Article Needs to Remind Tobacco Control Researchers to Be Honest

Professor Micheal Siegel Blog Article :The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: How Sad? Journal Article Needs to Remind Tobacco Control Researchers to Be Honest and Rigorous

Not sure if people are aware of the new World Health Organisation tactic. After failing to have electronic cigarettes classified as medicines and giving the industry solely to Big Pharma, the World Health Organisation is now attempting to have e-cigarettes classified as tobacco products. This was first contemplated by the British Medical Journal in order to stop people like Dr Farsinlinos from publishing papers. If e-cigs are tobacco products, then any research funded by an e-cig company will be disregarded as tobacco industry propaganda. Tobacco Control academics are now trying to sneak the notion into the mainstream as Professor Siegel pointed out.

The aim of this new classification by W.H.O is so that e-cigarettes can be taxed into oblivion so as to destroy them like tobacco cigarettes, and so that no one associated with e-cigarettes will be allowed to talk with politicians. People wonder where e-cigarette regulation will go in Australia. The notion that e-cigarettes and nicotine ejuices are "tobacco products" will no doubt reach Australia, and I believe that they will try to have imports, not banned, but taxed at the same rate as tobacco leaf making it extremely expensive and basically enforcing a defacto ban on imports.

Customs have explicitly stated that e-juices and e-cigarettes contain no tobacco: "Goods of this nature are not tobacco or tobacco products, and therefore are not subject to duty or GST if the Customs value is at or below the low value goods threshold of A$1,000". Link here. I'd like to hold them to this statement in the future.

In my opinion, the amount of effort that was placed on stopping e-cigarettes from being classified as medicinal products, now needs to be placed on stopping them from being classified as tobacco products.
    Robray, lozza 82, Rynxa and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    marty likes this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Seeing as they have basically the same ingredients, wouldn't that mean that NRTs would need to be reclassified ?

I wonder if a mod would like to remove the above post, apparently it offended someone so much they felt the need to leave a negative repution comment so easy to offend some people these days, it seems