Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LNB

Thread: The Economist Article - some positive media

lmb
    AVF Regular

The Economist Article - some positive media

I saw this article, it seems that the most positive reporting of studies is coming out of the UK. It's amazing what happens when you have some politicians on board.

Electronic cigarettes: Call it quits | The Economist

Vaping is 60% more effective as a quit aid than cold turkey and other forms of NRT...

LNB
    AVF Regular
    Thanks for sharing this. This is one of the most positive articles regarding e-cigarettes that I've read.

"Why they are so successful is not yet proven. But a reasonable guess hangs on the meaning of the word “quitting”. Probably, though the Smoking Toolkit Study’s data do not address this question, most of those who take up e-cigarettes see them as a way of continuing to consume nicotine. They are, in other words, quitting tobacco, not their drug of choice. Those who use patches or willpower, by contrast, wish to quit the addiction."

This is the only thing I disagree with, now whilst I'm still consuming "my drug of choice" nicotine, I have cut down on it significantly. From starting at 24mg then dropping to 18mg then to 12mg and now at 6mg and also vaping some juice with no nicotine. All the juice I buy in the future will not be mixed with nicotine. PV's and e-cigs not only get you off tobacco but in my case they can help you quit nicotine too.
    Crisscross likes this.

lmb
    AVF Regular
    At least they followed it up immediately with:

"The former is surely easier than the latter. From a health point of view, though, the motive hardly matters. Though e-cigarettes are too recent an invention to be sure they carry no health risks at all, those risks are clearly negligible compared with the ones that come with breathing in, several dozen times a day, the smoke from dried, burning plant leaves." (emphasis added)

AVF Regular
    I really like the Economist. They're a breath of fresh logic in a sea of inanity.