AVF Regular

World No Tobacco Day 2014: Different ways to quit smoking

http://www.thehealthsite.com/news/wo...-quit-smoking/

World No Tobacco Day 2014: Different ways to quit smoking
    Editorial Team May 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm
    quit-smokingMay 31 is World No Tobacco Day.

Anytime is a good time to quit smoking, but if you’re looking for extra motivation, why not resolve to give up the bad habit on May 31, which the WHO has declared as World No Tobacco Day? And going cold turkey isn’t the only option. Here are five methods to keep in mind for those hoping to become ex-smokers this year:

- Nicotine patches, applied to the skin, provide a continuous source of the drug and are available in different doses, so smokers can dial back their intake progressively. There is also the option of nicotine gum or lozenges based on the same principle. These may be consumed several times per day, but only over a period of less than six months.

- Acupuncture, the traditional Chinese practice, can help to decrease cigarette cravings through the insertion of needles into specific points on the body.

- Herbal cigarettes, which do not contain nicotine but do contain tar, allow smokers to go through the motions of smoking while their body goes through withdrawal from nicotine.

- Hypnosis speaks to the smoker on a subconscious level in an attempt to strengthen his or her resolve to quit and possibly even decrease the desire to smoke.

- E-cigarettes, which replicate the sensations of regular smoking, are an increasingly popular option for those trying to quit. The corresponding e-liquid is available in a variety of flavors and nicotine levels.

It is worth noting that at the current rate of tobacco consumption, the drug is expected to kill 8 million people per year through 2030. The goal of World No Tobacco Day is to draw attention to tobacco-related health risks and to propose effective policies for decreasing usage. This year, the OMS and its partners aim to convince governments to increase taxes on tobacco products by increments that will effectively reduce tobacco consumption. (Read: Why it is easier to quit smoking now than ever before)

What are the myths about quitting smoking?

Smokers often look for excuses to not give up smoking. The fact is, there may be a 100 reasons to quit smoking, but in order to feel good about themselves smokers chose to focus on the 5 valid reasons they might have to continue smoking. Often, these valid reasons are not even true and in this post we’ll bust some of the common myths about quitting smoking.

1. Quitting smoking will make me gain weight

A new study has revealed that quitting smoking may not result in a person putting on weight. The study, conducted by University of Otago, followed the progress of about 1000 people born in Dunedin in 1972-1973 and measured their smoking habits and weight regularly from the age of 15 to 38, Stuff.co.nz reported. According to the findings, both male and female quitters were likely to gain about 5 kilograms more than those who carried on smoking, but their weight returned to the same level as those who had never smoked.

The study also found that being a smoker did not prevent long-term weight gain, and all the groups in the study put on weight as they aged, regardless of their smoking status. Head researcher Lindsay Robertson said that a previous study had suggested people might gain large amounts of weight after quitting, but these studies were unreliable. The study was published in the Nicotine and Tobacco Research journal.

2. No one else is getting harmed by my smoking

You might think that all the toxic smoke of the cigarettes is going into your lungs only, but you are wrong. According to some estimates, a waiter working in a smoky bar inhales the same amount of toxic smoke as a smoker who smokes 10 cigarettes a day.Read more myths about quitting smoking.

With inputs from AFP

For more yoga and quitting smoking, check out our quitting smoking section. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest updates! For daily free health tips, sign up for our newsletter. And to join discussions on health topics of your choice, visit our forum.

Tags:Anti tobacco dayDiseases & ConditionsIn the newsQuit smokingWorld No Tobacco dayWorld No Tobacco Day 2014
    by TaboolaSponsored Content
    We Recommend
    Frenzy Over New "Skinny Pill"
    Trending Lifestyles
    The 10 Worst Foods to Feed Your Children
    Activebeat.com
    8 Sleeping Positions and Their Effects on Health
    Daily Health Post
    Doctors Claim This Kills High Blood Pressure
    Healthy Journal
    From The WebFrom India.com
    New Water Desalination Techn… (IDE Technologies)
    13 Symptoms of Bipolar Disorde… (Activebeat.com)
    Australia's Largest Gold Company Se… (ShareCafe)
    Men Are Raving About This … (Trending Lifestyles)
    13 TV Characters That Disa… (Allwomenstalk.com)
    Genital herpes – causes, symptoms, treatment a…
    Got the blues? You must be feeling SAD today
    World No Tobacco Day 2013: Natural remedie…
    World No Tobacco Day 2014: Smoking rates f…
    Quit smoking naturally -- the yoga way to kick t…
    by TaboolaPromoted Content
    Previous Article
    World No Tobacco Day 2014: How bad is the tobacco situation in India?
    Next Article
    How effective is the cholera vaccine?

search
    Follow us on:
    Click to get daily health tips

Related Stories

World No Tobacco Day 2014: Pledging to quit is the entry point to a healthy and happy life

World No Tobacco Day 2014: How bad is the tobacco situation in India?

World No Tobacco Day 2014: Heavy taxation needed to curb tobacco use

World No Tobacco Day 2014: Beware, third-hand smoke can also cause cancer

World No Tobacco Day 2014: PM Narendra Modi urges Indians to say 'no' to tobacco

World No Tobacco Day 2014: Documentary unveiling the bad impact of tobacco
    Free Health Tips
    Please enter your email ID and select the type of tips you want to receive in your email.

Subscribe to :

All

Diet & Weight Loss Tips

Beauty Tips

Living With Diabetes

Heart Health

War On Cancer

Go Natural

Sex Guide

Pregnancy

by TaboolaSponsored Content
    From The Web
    Frenzy Over New "Skinny Pill"
    Trending Lifestyles
    The 10 Worst Foods to Feed Your Children
    Activebeat.com
    8 Sleeping Positions and Their Effects on Health
    Daily Health Post
    Doctors Claim This Kills High Blood Pressure
    Healthy Journal
    Contribute to our site
    If you want to contribute to the site, send us an email at health@corp.india.com

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    Admirable cause but I didn't like this line

"It is worth noting that at the current rate of tobacco consumption, the drug is expected to kill 8 million people per year through 2030."

It's not the drug killing people it's the other stuff you get from inhaling smoke ...
    I'm also surprised with the advocation for smoking herbal cigarettes instead .. ?

I've spent far more than that on vaping ... But I like to think of the positives
    Actually I don't think that's true anymore .. Savings now exceed spending .. Sweet !
    Innokin SVD (dead), MVP v2 and itaste VV3 (dead), several eGo's, EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus, Aerotank Mega, Aspire Nautilus, ET-s, Mini Nova-s, CE5 BDCs .. So far

AVF Regular
    Hardly to get an article mentioning e cig as one of quit tool.

Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    Hardly to get an article mentioning e cig as one of quit tool.

Yes, that is definitely a positive when e-cigs are seen a a viable NRT.

I've spent far more than that on vaping ... But I like to think of the positives
    Actually I don't think that's true anymore .. Savings now exceed spending .. Sweet !
    Innokin SVD (dead), MVP v2 and itaste VV3 (dead), several eGo's, EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus, Aerotank Mega, Aspire Nautilus, ET-s, Mini Nova-s, CE5 BDCs .. So far