Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Worth a look.. and a comment!

Retired Account

Worth a look.. and a comment!

https://theconversation.com/electron...r-health-27444

Unhappy Chappy is at it again. Have a read... the comments are far better than the article itself.
    Robray, Olfella and grabit like this.

AVF Regular
    indeed they are - I like the **** Trippers comment and the Ron Williams one.
    aussie63 likes this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    lol AVF ****'d the name D.ic K. that's harsh but fair I guess
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    My favourite:

"For a professor of any discipline to display quite such a level of fuckwittery is staggering - it's almost worthy of McKee (bubblegum), or Glantz! "
    RIDING OLD SKOOL likes this.
    The clean break: Last smoke on 2/12/2012, first vape on 3/12/2012.

AVF Regular
    Try as he might to spin a positive study in to a negative one, there is still nothing in that opinion piece that justifies a ban on vaping.

So far, as per the numbers on the study he quoted - vaping is the only currently available method of assisted tobacco cessation that has a higher chance of success than cold turkey.

I'd call having another viable and statistically more effective method of tobacco cessation something to pop the champagne cork over.

I had a big long rant here ripping this opinion piece to bits, but you know what? I have better things to do that preach to the choir.
    mrsgruffy, SmokeHead and Olfella like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Ahh Chappy Chappy

The 'Non Aligned' testicle of BP.

What Chappy Chappy hasn't the intellect to realise is that the 15% (Cold Turkey) statistic is the number of people that are desperate to give up.

The 10% statistic for vapers is the number of people that didn't really want to give up - but did so accidentally

AVF Regular
    Happy Chappy should take a look at this:

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ss...ding+questions

AVF Regular
    and oh the irony as he trolls the BAT tweets )))))))))

I have had a bit to drink tonight but ere goes...

That statistic around people who cut back smoking having no change in mortality will be plagued by the same error that tells us from statistics that in the twelve months after one quits smoking your risk of being diagnosed with cancer is at it's highest! Worse than if you kept smoking.

While most of the scientific community understands the order error creating this strange statistic, the general public do not so unscrupulous people looking to confuse will use statistics like this to their benefit.

One only has to use simple logic to understand what causes these strange outcomes.

1. In the case of the quit smoking = big chance of getting cancer within 12 months: guess what one does when they start coughing up or pissing blood? They sometimes quit the stinkies. Guess what happens when they hit the doctor? They get told they got cancer. Guess what happens when they fill out a survey in the next year? Yeh I quit smoking then got diagnosed with cancer...

2. In the case of reducing smoking causes morbidity: as one gets older and finds it harder to breathe due to a lifetime of smoking one tends to cut back. Old mate down the road who due to his genetics hasn't yet been effected goes on smoking hard. Both fill out survey? What does old mate reading survey results think? Cutting back smoking is not good for health. What does a 1st year science student think? He understands sampling errors and knows that the survey is flawed due to the behaviour being effected by the very outcome they are trying to monitor!

It's a real shame people can be spoon fed bullshit and eat it up in this country. I think it's our schooling failing us? We are destined to become no better than our friends across the pacific.

AVF Regular
    I'm only one person but I have quit the stinkies and I really don't believe I could have done it without Vaping.

I don't even think about having a cigarette even when I sit with smokers next to me... I just juice up change my battery and Vape.
    maggie likes this.
    Peter

My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast