Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How ecig are killing nrt in Europe...

How ecig are killing nrt in Europe...

Interesting read.
    Electronic Cigarettes Affecting Nicotine Replacement Therapy Sales | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings

Unfortunately this is why BT and BP will try to take control of the ecig industry to protect their profits.

Then the grubby revenue hungry governments will slap their so-called health taxes on.

Still haven't given up beer, but no more stinky tax from me.

Retired Account
    I don't think the government taxes medicines, to be honest. I think they tend to subsidise the costs in most cases. There are drugs on the market which cost the government $1000s per script in PBS subsidies. A person with a health care card can get a prescription for NRT, reducing the cost down to the cost of a subsidised prescription, which I think is about $6 per script. That is a highly subsidised price compared to what you would pick them up for in the supermarket or chemist. Can you explain more about these "health taxes"? I know we pay one way or another.. these drugs are funded by our taxation system, so that everyone pays rather than the user pays.

In the case of ecigarettes, I don't really have any issue with the user paying, especially if the only tax we pay is GST. I just worked it out that on a very basic level, once you're set up with your hardware, vaping could actually cost less than $10.00 per week.. that's a coil every week for pretty much any one of the clearos on the market today, a 30mL bottle of eliquid every 10 days (3mL average for me anyway, so a bottle would last 10 days) and $1 a week for nicotine, based on a half litre delivered from the USA of 100mg/mL for roughly $100, (5.4 mL per bottle making 18mg/mL eliquid, so a half litre would last 92 weeks which is nearly 2 years).

I would not mind paying an extra $1 GST(10%) for my stuff, if I could get it all locally from either the chemist or the corner shop. I know there's more expensive stuff out there, but if you were really on a tight budget, this is probably a minimum spend, with perhaps $100 set aside per year for batteries and a new clearo or carto tank or two. Even if vaping stuff was subject to 100% taxation, the minimum spend would only increase to $20 per week... and imagine if the government used the taxation revenue to develop even safer eliquids and hardware?? Comparing this to what I would have been spending on tobacco products in today's money puts a big fat smile on my face. Right now, my cigarettes for a week would cost me (at supermarket carton prices) $240.53 per week! (That's 50 a day, which is how much I was smoking every day 5 days before I started vaping.)
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 07-06-14 at 11:09 AM.
    Fatman, Megan, Olfella and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Poor big pharma, couldn't happen to a better bunch of unethical robbing b@stards ..
    Go e-cigs and go the French health department !
    Bobthebuilder and merexy like this.

I've spent far more than that on vaping ... But I like to think of the positives
    Actually I don't think that's true anymore .. Savings now exceed spending .. Sweet !
    Innokin SVD (dead), MVP v2 and itaste VV3 (dead), several eGo's, EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus, Aerotank Mega, Aspire Nautilus, ET-s, Mini Nova-s, CE5 BDCs .. So far

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    I don't think the government taxes medicines, to be honest. I think they tend to subsidise the costs in most cases. There are drugs on the market which cost the government $1000s per script in PBS subsidies. A person with a health care card can get a prescription for NRT, reducing the cost down to the cost of a subsidised prescription, which I think is about $6 per script. That is a highly subsidised price compared to what you would pick them up for in the supermarket or chemist. Can you explain more about these "health taxes"? I know we pay one way or another.. these drugs are funded by our taxation system, so that everyone pays rather than the user pays.

In the case of ecigarettes, I don't really have any issue with the user paying, especially if the only tax we pay is GST. I just worked it out that on a very basic level, once you're set up with your hardware, vaping could actually cost less than $10.00 per week.. that's a coil every week for pretty much any one of the clearos on the market today, a 30mL bottle of eliquid every 10 days (3mL average for me anyway, so a bottle would last 10 days) and $1 a week for nicotine, based on a half litre delivered from the USA of 100mg/mL for roughly $100, (5.4 mL per bottle making 18mg/mL eliquid, so a half litre would last 92 weeks which is nearly 2 years).

I would not mind paying an extra $1 GST(10%) for my stuff, if I could get it all locally from either the chemist or the corner shop. I know there's more expensive stuff out there, but if you were really on a tight budget, this is probably a minimum spend, with perhaps $100 set aside per year for batteries and a new clearo or carto tank or two. Even if vaping stuff was subject to 100% taxation, the minimum spend would only increase to $20 per week... and imagine if the government used the taxation revenue to develop even safer eliquids and hardware?? Comparing this to what I would have been spending on tobacco products in today's money puts a big fat smile on my face. Right now, my cigarettes for a week would cost me (at supermarket carton prices) $240.53 per week! (That's 50 a day, which is how much I was smoking every day 5 days before I started vaping.)
    I was actually referring to the exorbitant taxes on cigarettes being a so called health tax.

If enough people make the switch, the government may just impose similar taxes on ecigarettes etc to maintain their income stream.

Just my thoughts and ramblings.
    lulu68 likes this.

AVF Regular
    This is the crux of the anti-vaping slur campaign, that big pharma is going to lose billions, and they won't go down without a fight.

A person trying to quit would have to be pretty foolish to go to patches before trying vaping. They've never had a good success rate.

I could never use them anyway, they gave me welts that lasted for weeks.

AVF Regular
    If the govt really wanted everyone to quit smokes, they wouldnt budget for it. But when they factor in increases in the sin taxes to pay for any thing and everything, then you know they do not have your best interests at heart
    lulu68 and weissesfleisch like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    @mrsgruffy..totally agree, no problem with paying a small tax on e-liquid, just not the extortionate amount they put on real cigs. the tax i pay on locally produced e-liquid would go towards state run inspections of e-liquid producer facilities, similar to food outlets/restaurants.

AVF Regular
    At this point in time I take my hat off to the subsidies available in medication..Im talking about cancer here, big pharma are obviously the top dogs an charge accordingly. My in house patient has just been refused what was to be $200k worth of new trial chemo drugs ( he was declared too far progressed into the disease to give accurate feedback/results ) but it reinforces Mrs G's comment, so nothing to do with vaping, although I did get him off the smokes an onto a starter kit.

AVF Regular
    If the government really wanted us to give up smokes and were REALLY concerned about our health they would have banned tobacco years ago. Smokers are a govt cash cow. It really dismays me when I see young people take it up now.
    Altered1 and Aliyah like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast