Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Vaping in Thailand

Cool Vaping in Thailand

Hi I am travelling to Phuket in a couple of weeks. I am wandering what the laws maybe be there? can I take my ecig and how would I go about it, can I take it in my cabin luggage or would I have to put it in my cargo luggage I will also have nicotine. Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated...as I don't want to lose my gear ...cheers

AVF Regular
    not always accurate, but a good start
    Electronic Cigarettes - Global Legal Status
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    banned apparently

AVF Regular
    Not sure about now, I was there last year, just don't do what I did. Flight to KL from perth delayed 1 1/2 hours (1:30 am) land in KL sprint to bus to next terminal just in time to catch daily flight to Hat Yai, landed there about 3:30 pm. No nic or vapes since about 9:30 previous night, kissed adopted daughter and ran out of airport fumbling for my Bagua and dripper, rapidly pull it from backpack and raise to lips. Oh shit the ominous clicking sound I heard all around me were the Thai army guards flicking the safety off assorted machinguns, pistols and the odd combat shotgun that were all pointed at me, thank **** they weren't just trigger happy. It took several minutes to show them it wasn't a pipebomb and all I wanted was to get my fix. So remember, slow and steady is the way to go.
    "Morituri nolumus morti" We who are about to die DON'T WANT TO!
    "Carpe fermentum!" Seize the beer!

No issue in Patong, was there just after Easter this year. Vaped outside of Bangkok airport while waiting for flight. Vaped all around Patong from beach to the night markets. Only stopped by a few Aussies to ask what it was. Some shops sell ego kits and ejuice but I didn't try any. I heard curfew is in and not sure how security has increased in last few weeks. Generally no issue
    wanderinggypsy likes this.

Hi bars cot how did you travel with them on the plane did you have it in stored luggage or hand luggage...thank you...

Heya wanderinggypsy I had 2 tackle boxes about an 5cm deep with movable sliding plastic bits to adjust the sizes. Checked in had 3-4 half filled 50ml bottles along with blunt syringe, cotton, drill bit, sewing needle, like a Swiss Army knife with built in pliers, kanthal etc. normal kit. My carry on had 2 mech mods and the batteries in a clear battery holder, 2-3 kayfun style atomisers and an evod or 2 as backup. Brissy customs hadn't seen PVs like that before but no problems at all. Flew Air Asia and they state no ecigs. But I treat PVs like a cigarette and only vape where appropriate.

You will be fine mate, don't take the juice bottles/syringe/pliers on the plane and don't vape on the plane. I still vape in smoking area of airports... Don't bother trying in Phuket international lounge as their smoking area is like walking into an ashtray!

I can't comment on Bankok at all, just Phuket and Patong.

Hope this helps.

Hey there

I travelled to Thailand (Phuket) and took 2 ego's and an assortment of star dusts on the plane. I had 90ml of juice in my suitcase which was checked in, and no liquid or spare stuff in my carry on bag.

I was very paranoid and I got pulled up at Phuket on the way back because the handbag scan showed liquid, at first they thought it was for diabetes and then I looked confused and they turned my bag upside down and rummaged through it. He picked up the ecig and I shat myself. Not really but I felt like I was going to be the Schapelle Corby of Thailand and pictured myself rotting in a prison full of mice and angry Thai women.

He held it up and said what is this. And I made a smoking motion. Then he went... OHHHH ECIG GO ON THROUGH!

Meanwhile I was near having a heart attack.

It was OK but yes I smoked a normal cigarette outside the airport, those guards with AK47s freaked me the pineapple out. Sad thing was I only had two drags and had to bin it because it was disgusting.

You'll probably be fine, and yeah don't vape on the plane.
    wanderinggypsy and vengaman like this.

AVF Regular
    yeah don't be all like:

Hi Wandering Gypsy...

I just got back from 2 weeks in Bangtao and Patong - Phuket. last week.

Flew BA to Singapore and SingAir to Phuket.

My Learnings/observations:

E-Cigs are illegal in Thailand - Banned by the Minister for Health back in 2009.
    Didn't see any Thai's vaping... cigs are only $5 per pack over there.
    Saw a few ego kits on sale but had taken my gear and juice with me so didn't try any.
    Quite a few thai's showed interest in my VTR, though mostly as a segway to get me to buy some genuine plastic thingumyjig they were selling.
    A few European tourists were vaping away merrily in the smoking areas in the hotels with not an eye turned.

My advice is pretty much what barscot said plus...
    Customs and immigration/security are fine with pretty much any of the normal type mods or juices. They've see it all...
    All carriers I know of allow you to take ecigs onboard, but not to use them onboard and they will confiscate them if they think you are.
    Anything with a lithium battery must go carry on. That's the rules, and perhaps why they allow you to take the stuff onboard. The carriers don't allow batteries in the hold but don't bar you carrying gear onboard as long as you don't use it onboard.
    If you've got loose batteries, tape the ends, or put them in a battery case.
    Watch out for the 100ml fluid limit in carry on. Just take a couple of 10ml bottles onboard and pack all your juice bar what you actually need for the trip from home to the hotel in the hold.
    Both carry on and hold juice should each go in a plastic bottle, no more than 2/3 full, with the air squeezed out of the bottles (any air in the bottle will expand at altitude and cause leakage - squeezing them gives some room for expansion) then put the bottles in sealed plastic sandwich bags for good luck
    Ideally, pack a low odour - high PG/Low VG juice for the airport - airport segment of the trip.
    Vape in the airports as you would smoke a cigarette... in the prescribed smoking areas, though I smelt rather than saw some people stealth vape in the toilets.
    The exception is if you transit through Changi in Singapore. Ecigs are illegal there as well and I wouldn't use one even in the smoking areas.
    You should however pay these a visit to remind yourself what you've left behind.
    Same on the plane. Vaping is banned on pretty much all planes. There were at least 4 vapers on my flight ex Sydney. I saw one Brit have his ecig taken off him by the flight crew during taxiing when he was flashing it around. He got it back in Singapore
    On the plane... don't show anyone your kit, they'l assume that you mean to use it onboard if you do, and people generally sneaked a quicky in the toilets every couple of hours if they needed to. Suck it up a bit and suffer for the cause! ;-)
    Don't be a hero and try and convince the staff that they're infringing your rights by banning you from vaping. Their plane.. their rules. Please don't ruin the modicum of tolerance that they have for us... :-)
    They shouldn't even see you vaping really, but the graveyard shift staff on my flight new what was going on and I think turned a blind eye.
    The guy that had his ecig confiscated in Sydney winked at me a couple of hours into the flight and quietly stealth vaped his spare ego CE5 under his blanket.
    I've heard that if you're going to vape in the plane toilets... blow the vapour down the toilet or sink plughole, there's normally a constant vacuum through those, especially on older 747's
    Bear in mind that vapour is reputed to set off the smoke alarms in the toilets... so don't go crazy man...

On a side note... Whilst I personally wouldn't dream of vaping against the flight attendants wishes, and despite my comments above, have never done so.. "A guy I know did..." and discovered that the amount of vapour produced is a fraction of what you'll get at ground level since the air at altitude is so much drier and less dense because the plane is only pressurised to 10,00 feet or something.
    Also... "he told me" that the flavour was all screwy because your taste buds work differently at altitude.

However, you're still getting the nicotine... "he said".

Once you're in Thailand don't vape in public at the airport, but once you're through, no one turned a blind eye at anyone I saw vaping in public if they treated it like you would a cigarette.

All that said... vaping in Thailand is illegal, and if you get busted and jailed for 10 years... don't come chasing me... but then I'd imagine there are far worse things being smoked, snorted, inhaled or generally absorbed over there for people to worry about someone with an ecig.

The best advice I heard was smile, be polite, and treat it like you would a cigarette.

FYI, the impact of the coup was pretty much nil in Phuket bar the curfew and I think that's been dropped in Phuket now as well. It's damaged tourism though. Numbers are down, plus it's off season so the street sellers are extra voracious...

Enjoy your trip...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast